23. 𝐺ℎ𝑜𝑠𝑡

May 6, 2023

Three Days Later

Queen

"Do you think he's okay?" I asked, twiddling my fingers nervously in my lap. Cain rolled his eyes at me before swinging his head back towards the fridge and rummaging through it.

"If you ask me that again I'm going to rip your head off...'kay?" He shot me a fake smile before turning back to his task. I sighed, leaning my elbows on the counter and burying my hands in my hair. I knew Syn was acting strange the night he left, but I didn't think he'd just ghost like this. It had been three days of him being gone. Three days of me calling and blowing up his inbox and receiving no reply. As mad at me as he was in the past, he'd never ignore me.

"I should go check on him, right?"

"We need to get groceries." He sighed before standing up. I glanced at the full fridge then back at him with a confused expression.

"I just went yesterday...?"

"Uh-huh...but you didn't get what I wanted so...mission failed. I'll go later with Iris," he said as he pulled out his phone. All of his attention went into whatever he was preoccupied with and I frowned, letting my mind continue to drown in the possibilities of Syn's disappearance. He came here for Saint yet he was nowhere to be seen. "Let's go."

"Hmm?" I looked at Cain who grabbed his keys from the hook in the corridor and tilted his head towards the front door.

"You know where Syn lives?" I nodded, unsurely getting off of the stool. "Then let's go to him."

"Right now, Cain? We can't just pop over at peoples' houses without notice."

"Live a little bit, sister." He grinned slyly before dipping past the corner.

"I'm not dressed," I complained. "And I can't just leave Saint."

"I told Iris to watch him."

"What? When?"

"When I was texting in the kitchen?" He shook his head. "Why does all this shit matter? Can we go?"

"It's just so sudden—"

"You're making excuses, Queen," he said. "I'm going to be in the car and you have two minutes to join me."

"Wai—"

"One minute and fifty-eight seconds—"

"Okay! Just let me put my shoes on." I raced up the stairs and burst into my room. Instead of going straight for my shoes as I said I would, I changed my entire wardrobe within thirty seconds. Cain was insane if he thought I was going to walk out of here in sweats. I adjusted the oversized graphic shirt on my body before slipping on my denim jacket and attempting to fit whatever hair I could into a bun.

"Is that Cain yelling?" Iris asked as she walked into my room, bouncing Saint on her hip.

"You hear counting?"

"Yes," she said slowly.

"He's being an asshole and giving me two minutes to get ready."