C H A P T E R 74

74 | The Best Gift

Her eyes roamed everywhere but at me as soon as we pulled apart

Her eyes roamed everywhere but at me as soon as we pulled apart. I could tell she wanted to go far away from me but was too ashamed to move a muscle.

"Vittoria." I rubbed her arm. I received no response.

This was messed up way more than I'd imagined. I was dreading normality as the day had almost come to an end. She'll stop talking to me again. There will be unbreakable barriers between us again.

"You were right, Vittoria. We should stay away from each other. This isn't healthy."

My words got her to snap her gorgeous eyes up at me.

"I don't want you to feel disgusted by yourself every time you come closer to me." I said with utmost difficulty.

"We're doing the right thing, Raf." She stated, convincing herself more than me.

"I'm not saying I'm giving up on you. That will never happen. I'm just giving you some time to get over all the lies I've told and their consequences."

"Rafael-"

"I want you to know I haven't done all this to buy your forgiveness. You don't have to feel guilty about staying mad at me just because I did this for you. Your anger is justified. Moreover, those are two do things."

"Rafael." She cupped my face with her delicate hands. "I know you'd never do that. It doesn't has to be this way between us."

"Tell me one thing love." I ran my fingers through her hair. It always helped me relax. "One day when you realize that our love doesn't feel wrong anymore, will you be ready to be mine again?"

Her eyes stared deep into mine as if begging me to hypnotize her into saying yes. I knew she wanted the same thing but was hesitating to say it out loud.

"Yes. I'll be yours." She replied confidently.

The corners of lips tugged upwards. "I'll wait for that day."

I pressed her closer to my chest, inhaling her scent. Her fragile hands crumpled my shirt as he held it tight, afraid to let go. She'll never know how much I love her. My love for her is like an iceberg. You can only see a small part of it on the surface while the majority of it is buried deep inside my heart which beats for her, only her.

Sometimes I wonder how did I turn into this person from a heartless monster. Nonetheless, I like me better now.

I like the Vittoria version of Rafael.

Suddenly someone cleared their throat from behind, causing Vittoria to jump back, far away from me. Her head dropped down and her gaze flew to the cashmere carpet, afraid to look at her brother in the eye.

I didn't miss the ephemeral look of sadness that flashed through his honey brown eyes. It was merged with guilt because of making her feel that way.

I felt bad for him. I felt bad for every single one of us. We were in a situation where we all were right in our own ways but when we joined our beads of reason into a thread, the outcome was completely wrong and unjust.