C H A P T E R 42

42 | The Final Clue

Despite the chilling breeze making occasional appearance, beads of sweat formed on my forehead as I took irresolute steps in the direction of the house

The anticipation of the answers or rather the fear of not getting them clouded my mind. I had absolutely no idea what to expect from here. All I knew about was this forlorn house standing deserted in the outskirts of the city.

My heartbeat quickeneded as I raised my hand up to knock on the fragile wooden door. From the outside, the house looked unoccupied with dried leaves and a thin layer of dust settled over the porch. Well, one can only hope.

Three knocks on the door shattered the distilled silence enveloping the area. There was so much uncertainty.

Who's gonna answer the door?

Will anyone even answer?

If they answered, would it be Ava?

Would I recognize her the moment I see her?

I'm sure she must look like mother. She must be so beautiful. I'd have to protect her from all the boys, especially Liam. I think she'll be best friends with Vittoria.

Jeez! My mind! It was running centuries ahead with all these imaginations. I broke out of my silly reveries and once again knocked on the door.

Is no one home? Will I have to return empty handed yet again? I think I was having an anxiety attack. But wait. I was a mafia for god sake! I'm not allowed to have an anxiety attack.

Alright, I'll wait for two more minutes until I break the door open and barge in. There's surely something over here.

Two long minutes passed and just when I braced myself to kick open the door, it opened with the classic creaking sound and a lady came into view.

Her thinning grey hair were tightly secured in a bun. Her forehead creased as she casted me an inquisitive look. However, her wrinkled face looked very friendly and approachable.

Definitely not Ava.

"Yes? How may I help you?" She wiped her fragile hands on the apron.

"Uh.. If it's alright, can I please make a quick phone call to the mechanic? My car has broken down and bless my luck, my phone's dead as well." I said, which was partly true.

I left in a hurry without checking the battery. I just hope the consignment went peacefully. I was tired with existing problems as it is.

She stared at me for a fairly long time, her friendly green eyes narrowing in suspicion.

Say yes. Please say yes. I don't want to scare an old lady with a gun.

"Sure, please come in." She stepped back, ushering me inside.