C H A P T E R 73

73 | Just A Small Birthday Gift

"Magic doesn't exist." I answered confidently at his reflection.

"Then what are you?"

"Just some girl trying to survive, trying to fit in."

He smiled, shaking his head as he drew circles on my waist with his thumb. "You were never just some girl for me. You're magic. I knew that from the day I saw you."

"You mean from the day you fired me?" I giggled.

"I mean from the day I realized I can't shoot this one girl even after she disrespected me showing me the middle finger." He retorted.

"Rafael?"

"Hmm." His head titled more towards my neck, his eyes closed.

"I'm still waiting for my birthday present."

"Oh! He snapped his eyes open. I totally forgot about that part." He shrugged sheepishly.

"You remember when you were drunk.. Actually no you don't remember so let me tell you. So when you were drunk, you were hell bent in convincing us that there's another world on the other end of the kitchen cabinet."

"I did not do that!" I exclaimed in utter horror. I can't be THAT stupid even if I'm drunk.

"Yes you did. You even tried jumping into it at least fifteen times." He rolled his eyes.

"What else happened that night?" I covered my face with my hands.

"That night I said I love to you for the first time. But you didn't know then. Moving on.."

He did what! My tummy did all kinds of flips and turns hearing his words.

"You said this world was very cruel and you wanted to escape to that another world." He continued, his arms still snaked around my waist and chin still rested on my shoulder. "I laughed it away at that time thinking it's just some drunken nonsense. But now I strongly believe you. This world is really very cruel."

"You see even my nonsense makes sense." I sassed. "I really wish we could run away somewhere like that."

"Your wish is my command." He stated.

An crazy through crossed my mind for a second but I shook it away, feeling stupid. That can't happen.

"Of course it can." He said, reading my mind. "Go ahead Vittoria, try touching the mirror. There's a whole new world on the other side of it."

"Alright now listen to me carefully. I'm a financial analyst okay? I'm designed to be smart. I can't be that dumb no matter how much I tried. There's no world behind it."

"Get over the self obsession and poke a finger. Come on señorita." He urged.

"I don't know why I'm doing this." I rolled my eyes and raised a finger, slowly bringing it up towards the mirror whilst secretly wishing for the magic to happen.