C H A P T E R 20

20|What Can Happen In A Day?

"You skipped breakfast. And yesterday's dinner again." Rafael said, staring straight ahead at the road.

I in turn analyzed the structure of my nails with intricate focus. That's all I had been doing for the last twenty minutes while he was bringing up all the topics in this world to talk about.

He can go shove his guilty conscience up his ass for all I care. Although I don't believe he felt guilty in the first place. After all, you need a heart to feel that too, right?

"Vittoria." He warns. Good, he's irritated. It was working. He called me trouble. Then why not unleash my full potential and make his life hell instead of sitting in the shower and crying my eyes out.

"How cool would a black glitter nail paint look. But wearing it to workplace would be a little unprofessional." I pouted, my gaze still on my nails.

"Enough Vittoria." He snapped, grabbing my hand. I forced my hand away from his grip, rage bubbling inside me.

"Don't touch me. As for me skipping meals, that's none of your fucking business. You just need me alive and I'm feeding myself enough to complete that requirement. So now cut this caring crap and open the door for me like the world's best boyfriend that you are." I snarled.

He gave me a hard stare which I wholeheartedly returned before I placed my hand in his, our fingers intertwining. All eyes looked at us as we climbed up the stairs of Rutherford Avenue, hand in hand. I could never get used to so much attention.

I walked with the brightest smile on my face. I happened to ace the skill with all these years of practice but that wasn't the case with Rafael over here.

"Honey, smile or else we might get caught right this instant. If I can look like the happiest girl in this world while fighting back nausea, you can at at least try to fake a sincere smile." I said while waving at some of my colleagues.

He stopped and faced towards me. "You can go home if you're not feeling well. Shall I call someone to pick you up?"

"No don't worry. The nausea will vanish as soon as your sickening sight is no longer before my eyes." I smiled.

"Stop it Vittoria, please."

"Oh look there! Your bestie seems to be waiting for you." I gestured towards Luca glaring daggers at us.

He left my hand and snaked it over my waist while I rolled my eyes internally and tried hard not to throw up. Every time he touches me, the memories of what happened last night floated in my mind making me feel like a whore.

I quickly blinked back the tears welling in my eyes. He wasn't worth spoiling my eye liner.

"It's funny how you're forced to protect the person you so want to get rid of. Life's quite ironic, don't you think? You might succeed in protecting me from Luca. But who will protect me from you?" I taunted, hoping the guilt kills him.

"Bless your stars Grayson." The annoying Zanetti stepped towards us before we could give him a cold shoulder and mind our business. Literally.

His usual composed stance was distorted today. He looked like he would kill us right here right now. "You're terribly wrong if you think I'll let this slip away, Rafael. You're lucky that my brother is alive or else-"

"Or else what huh?" Rafael challenged. "That's what happens when you poke your nose in other's business. You gave Alvaro one job and he couldn't even do that. How pathetic." He mocked.

"Seems like your little slut's life is worthless to you Rafael. Be careful, tesoro." His enraged hazel eyes switched to me. "The metal detectors are just for name sake over here. If you don't believe me then ask your boyfriend." His vile laughter muted all the other sounds. My body visibly shool with fear.