C H A P T E R 21

21| The Esztar Code

The first thing I registered when I opened my eyes was a pair of concerned blue eyes. It was too cold here. The only source of warmth was Toby's hand holding mine.

I was laid down on a black couch and Toby was sitting on the floor, next to the couch. I squinted my eyes at the sudden attack of the overhead lights.

"She's awake." He informed.

That's when I noticed all of them were there. Liam was seated on the opposite chair, rigorously tapping his feet and biting his nails. Oliver sat next to him with a tired expression and Rafael stood near the sliding door with his back faced towards us.

I don't know what was going on. I tried rewinding my mind and all the events came rushing in.

The gunshot rang in my head on repeat. The gunshot which killed Mason.

Mason is dead.

My brother is dead.

The only family I had is dead.

"Why did you do this Oliver?" I whispered, too weak to speak. He simply looked away.

"Why?" I bellowed. A sudden strength jolted through me fuelled by anger. "Look at me in the eye and tell me how could you be so cruel?" I clutched his collar.

"I'm sorry Vittoria but I did what I thought would be best. Those who killed Mason would've killed you too. I'm sorry for your loss. I really am." He said.

"You're sorry?" I chuckled dryly. "You're sorry.  You didn't even let me hold my dead brother while he was taking his last breath. You could've helped him. But you didn't. And now you're sorry huh?"

"Vittoria, he died right before our eyes. You saw it yourself. We couldn't have helped him. But you were alive and I did what was best." He explained himself.

Rafael turned back and shot him a death glare as if he didn't approve Oliver's decision of saving my life.

"Where is he now?" I asked them. They all looked away yet again, not answering my question.

"The police took his corpse." Liam mumbled.

I shook my head in disbelief. This can't be happening. He deserved a decent death at least.

Every part of me hurt like hell. My eyes were burning from crying so much. Just when I thought this was all I could cry, a new fit of agony broke out in the form of bitter tears.

I never asked for anything. I just wanted to be with my brother. Was it too much to ask for? I could no longer bear this burden of pain. Mason was my strength. Without him I was weak and alone. My knees hit the cold white tiles as I crumbled down to nothing but a defeated mess.

"It's gonna be alright." Liam scooped me in his arms. His shirt stained with my tears as I cried harder in his embrace. He was lying. Nothing was going to be alright.

"Enough!" Rafael's raging voice broke through the room. He walked up to us, staring down at my pathetic form with red eyes. "I get that you've lost your brother and you're upset. I fucking get it. But if you're gonna continue wailing then get the fuck away from my sight."

"Shut up, Rafael." Oliver scolded him. "I know he was an important link and we lost him and I even know you're super mad at me. Don't take it all out on her. Can't you see her condition right now? How could you be so insensitive."

"My sincere apologies, but I have greater issues to deal with than to entertain a crying girl. I'm not sure if you quite get the consequences of this Oliver. I'm beyond surprised how you are so calm about it."