C H A P T E R 33

33 | Where It All Goes Downhill

Few days later

"Get out!" She yelled.

Vittoria's startled, swollen red eyes met mine as she abruptly turned back to face me. She was in her bathroom, holding her tee close to her chest to cover her almost naked form.

"You can't just barge into the bathroom Rafael. Go away!"

It should have been anger but what I saw was fear. It was like she had been caught red handed doing something illegal.

"What's wrong, Vittoria?" I enquired, overly concerned.

"Just.. Just wait outside. Don't look at me. Just go!"

I scramble out in a hurry, not understanding what's happening. All I knew was that she was hurting more than she could tolerate and I didn't know what to do. I plopped down on her bed with my head held in my hands.

She was avoiding me like the plague. How was I supposed to help her if she wasn't even so much as willing to talk to me. I rarely saw her these days in spite of being in the same house.

Her condition was deteriorating day by day. Her already petite frame was shrinking continuously, her skin looked deathly pale with dark circles under her gorgeous eyes and she was skipping meals almost daily.

All she could focus on was revenge. How was I ever going to forgive myself for what I was doing. Now she was so immersed into it that bringing her back seemed nearly impossible.

"What was so important that you had to barge into my bathroom?" She demanded.

"You left me no other choice. We need to talk. Besides, the door wasn't locked."

"Talk about what?"

"About us." I said.

"Then there's nothing to talk about. You can leave." She turned away.

"Last time I checked, this was still my house."

"Fine. I'll leave." She started walking to the door but I stopped her. Why is she so stubborn?

"Talk to me Vittoria, please. You're not alone. If not me then talk to the others at least. Don't shut yourself out. You've created a fortress around yourself. We're worried about you." I caressed the back of her hand.

The fact that she didn't step back from me encouraged me to go further. However, I made sure my actions were extremely cautious. She looked like she would break into pieces with the slightest disturbance around her. I slowly wrapped my arms around her, running my fingers through her hair. It was just over a month but it felt like ages since I held her.

One month. That's when it clicked. Mason was shot exactly one month ago. Now I get why she's so devastated.

"Shh.. It will be okay. I promise it will." I kissed her head, holding her delicate body more tightly.