C H A P T E R 11

11|The Missing Piece

I didn't recognize this part of the mansion

I didn't recognize this part of the mansion. Pressing a hand over my mouth, I muffled the sound of my heavy breaths, cursing myself for not seeing where I was running.

"Vittoria!" Oliver's voice reverberated in this scarcely furnished part of the house and I increased my speed.

Suddenly a door on my right opened and I came face to face with the devil himself. A very embarrassing yelp left my mouth at Rafael's sight.

Wait, I know this area. This was Rafael's room. Next to his room was a door strangely secured with a lock.

I focused on my existing problem. Oliver's footsteps became louder from behind and in front of me was the king of hypocrisy. I was sandwiched between two mafias. The only option open to me was to jump down to the first floor. I looked down, seriously contemplating the option. I tried calculating the damage and that's when I realized my calculations suck.

And I play with numbers. What an irony.

"You might break a leg or a shoulder injury. And in worst case scenario, you might die." He stated.

"Huh? What?"

He pointed down. "You were thinking of jumping."

Did I make it that obvious?

"Vittoria." Oliver called yet again, this time right behind me. "Why did you run away like that?" He asked, more like interrogated.

"Uh I..um.. I just remembered I had something important to do." I blurted.

His face said he didn't buy it. And honestly, even I wouldn't buy this crap excuse.

"What are you hiding Vittoria?" I stepped back hearing his intimidating tone and hit a wall. A scented wall. A hypocrite wall.

Think of something Vittoria!

"O-M-G look a flying cat!" I screeched, pointing a shaking finger behind the two mafias. Now they'll get distracted and I'll run away. Easy, right?

"Seriously? This is your defense mechanism? A flying pussy?" Rafael voiced from behind.

"I said cat." I sneered, hoping to mask my fear with irritation.

"Enough!" Oliver roared. He was back to being the scary guy. "My patience is running thin Vittoria and I swear-"

He raised his hand up and I reflexively turned my face to the side, shielding it with trembling hands. I closed my eyes shut awaiting the blow which never came. When I opened them, all I could see was Rafael's strong back.

"Did you hurt her, Oliver?" He snarled.

"What? No! You know I didn't raise my hand up to hit her." He replied, annoyed.