C H A P T E R 48

48 | Accepting The New Life

"I'm sorry, Liam."

I'm debating on what was more humiliating? Standing half naked in front of those guards or standing here in front of Liam.

He didn't kiss me back.

God! He must think of me as a desperate bitch who's now ready to throw herself at him.

Why did I even do that? Why do I keep embarrassing myself like this. I've lost the little respect I had for me.

Not finding the courage to look at him in the eye, I made a dash for the door.

"Vittoria, wait!"

I increased my speed sensing his footsteps but crashed straight into the door of his room.

"Ah! My nose!"

Hold on! This door has hands?

A familiar spicy cologne filled my nostrils and I got my answer. I really, like really need to stop crashing into him. I instinctively took a step backwards and Rafael jerked his hand away from my arm.

"I-I'm sorry. I'll go." He mumbled, his head hanging low and quickly made the area devoid of his presence.

The encounter lasted for merely a few seconds. Even so, I didn't the miss the look of melancholy on his distressed face. He looked like he would break into tears any moment.

My stupid heart still ached seeing his state.

"Just hear me out, Vittoria." Liam's voice broke my stare at the empty hallway from where Rafael dissipated from view. I turned back to find him looking warily at the hallway as well.

"I'll talk to you later, Liam."

"You're running away. It's what you do every time. Don't you see it doesn't work that way?" He dragged out a lethargic breath.

"Come here." He guided to the edge of his bed and crouched down, clasping my bandaged hand between his warm ones. "Look at me, Vi." He urged softly.

I complied hesitantly.

"You don't have to feel embarrassed. These things happen. You just had an emotional outburst. Well, me too if you look at it that way." He chuckled, scratching his head with his free hand.

I nodded meekly.

"I didn't kiss you back because I didn't want to take advantage of your vulnerability." He said truthfully.

There were no words to explain the way I felt. He reestablished my belief in decent guys and above all, in good people.

"Thanks Liam, really." I patted the spot next to me.

"You don't need to." He sat next to me. "Look Vittoria. Things don't have to be awkward between us. I told you before and I'll say it again. I know you won't be able to reciprocate my feelings and honestly, I don't even expect you to. But I do expect you to be my friend."