C H A P T E R 27

27| We're Mafias. Nothing Can Scare Us

"What's taking so long Jake? It's fucking-"

Jake immediately gestured a 'shh' with a finger on his lips. "I sincerely request you to speak softly, boss." He bowed down.

He shushed me! How dare he!

"You better have a very good reason for this behavior." I spat.

He simply pointed to the black couch behind me. My eyes followed his line of vision and just like that my anger dissipated into a smile.

"I've contacted him, boss. It'll be there soon." He whispered and walked out, trying his best to hush the tapping sound of his shoes.

I turned back to the sleeping beauty, crouching down next to her curled up form. This was probably the cutest thing my eyes had ever witnessed – Vittoria curled up like a ball, with some rebellious strands of her hair falling over her closed eyes.

There was something so magical about her. Every single person in this house seemed to be attached to her, even Jake! Maybe it was because she was the purest thing that had ever happened to us in our poisoned world. No wonder why Mason was always overprotective of her.

Thinking of him only made me feel guilty now. She was in this situation because of us. Because of me. She doesn't show it but I know the pain caused by Mason's death was still the same.

"You are whipped, dear brother." Toby's hushed voice made me spin back. I felt like I was caught red handed doing something wrong.

"It's nothing like that." I dismissed it but Toby being Toby wouldn't just let it go.

"Liam really wouldn't mind. He knows she's into you and that he has no chance with her." He tried to humor it away but his sad smile said it all. "Don't push her away just because Liam likes her too. At the end it's her choice who she wants to be with. You'll back off for your brother but how will you make her like him? You get my point?"

I don't get what exactly he doesn't understand. Why both of them keep saying this same thing– yes, even Liam. They both know how complicated this entire ordeal is. Either they've forgotten the past or they've lost it. I have my bets on the latter.

"Holy moly! Look here Tobo, I beat your score in Super Mario Run." Liam came running, overexcited. He was so overwhelmed that he missed the two steps at the border of the living room and fell down with a loud thud with his glasses and his cell phone flying in the air.

The entire incident disturbed Vittoria's sleep. She got up, rubbing her eyes. I had to look away to subdue the urge to snuggle up her petite frame against me.

"Who died?" She yawned.

"Liam." Toby laughed at his fallen twin.

"I died long before when I saw her dance video yesterday." Liam proclaimed with a winning smirk.