C H A P T E R 39

39 | Vittoria's Betrayal

Port Reddington was blanketed in a deceiving calm

Port Reddington was blanketed in a deceiving calm. We were all stationed at our pre decided spots.

All the guards and the twins were at the east wing while Rafael and I were at the West Wing entrance, backed against a wall. We were alone. At least that's what he thinks.

"Toby, is she here?" Rafael whispered into the ear piece.

"No sign of Kiara Bates. Looks like we might have to wait for a while." Toby answered.

The warehouse was roughly at a hundred meters distance from where we were. Rafael's eyes were cautiously surveying the area around us.

But mine were set on him.

"You're staring, señorita." He whispered and an all too familiar lopsided grin creeped up his face.

I wasn't staring. I was capturing all the intricate features of his face.

His expression slowly morphed into a concerned one at the absence of my answer.

"Is something bothering you?" He caressed my cheek with the back of his hand.

Why did he have to do things like this? He was  making it more difficult for me.

"I'm scared." My voice turned brittle.

"I won't let anything happen to you. I promise."

The truth in his words ripped my heart apart. Here I was , exposing him to so much danger. No! This was wrong. I can't do this to him. But I was also aware of the consequences of telling the truth.

Fuck! What do I do now?

Shut up and stick to your plan.

A voice from my head commanded.

Reconsider your decision. You can change him into a better person.

Well, that was my heart.

We listened to you and look where we are now.

My mind countered.

Ugh! Why were these two squabbling like Toby and Liam. I can't.

"Alright Rafael, Kiara has entered the warehouse and fuck, she's hot!" Liam exclaimed.

"Be quick, Rafael. I spot Luca's men here. I believe they don't know that we know that they don't know we are aware of their presence." Toby chimed in.

"Shut up you two. Focus!" I scolded.

"Yes ma'am." They sang in unison.

"Vittoria." Rafael said softly.

"Yes."

"I need to go."

"Then go."

He smiled and raised up his hand and I found my hand clutching that of his in an iron grip. My eyes held his as our hands separated ever so slowly. He picked up the black bag stuffed with gold and walked away just like that.