Silently Falling in Love: Luc...

By GauriDevi

Book One: SILENTLY FALLING IN LOVE: LUCKY CHARM In the best of movies, the girl and the boy, finally get toge... More

Silently Falling in Love: Lucky Charm
Chapter 1- Half Moon Bay
Chapter 2 - Going Down Memory Lane
Chapter 3 - Arranged Marriages
Chapter 4 - Frantic Husband
Chapter 5 - Life Back East
Chapter 6 - Always Busy
Chapter 7 - The Fund Raiser
Chapter 8 - Putting the pieces of the puzzle together
Chapter 9 - The Mind Wanders
Chapter 10 - The Photo Shoot
Chapter 11 - The Good Wife
Chapter 12 - Salma and Ali's wedding
Chapter 13 - Broken Promises
Chapter 14 - Destiny
Chapter 15 - Sneaking Out
Chapter 16 - What Next
Chapter 17 - Yoga
Chapter 18 - Lady Antebellum
Chapter 18 - Part 2 Lady Antebellum with some steam - Need you Now!
Chapter 19 - The Morning After
Chapter 20 - Heartache
Chapter 21 - Assumptions
Chapter 22 - Trust
Chapter 23 - Father Figure
Chapter 24 - Cha Cha
Chapter 25 - Shades of Gray
Chapter 26 - Shiv and Shakti
Chapter 27 - Remind Me
Chapter 28 - Revelations
Chapter 29 - Old Habits
Chapter 30 - Bridging the Gap
Epilogue
Book 2 - Silently Falling in Love - Again
Book 2 - 1989
Book 2 - 1990
Book 2 - 1990 Restricted Section
Book 2 - 1991
Book 2 - 1992
Book 2 - 1993
Book 2 - 1994
Book 2 - 1995
Book 2 - 1996
Book 2 - 1997 Part One
Book 2 - 1998
Book 2 - 1999
Book 2 - 2000
Book 2 - 2001
Book 2 - 2002
Book 2 - 2003
Book 2 - 2004
Book 2 - 2005
Book 2 - September 2006
Book 2 - October 2006
Book 2 - November 2006
Book 2 - December 2006
Book 2 - January 2007
Book 2 - February 2007
Book 2 - March 2007
Book 2 - April 2007
Book 2 - May 2007
Book 2 - Summer 2007
Book 2 - September 2007
Book 2 - October 2007
Book 2 - November 2007
Book 2 - December 2007
Book 2 - January 2008
Book 2 - February 2008
Book 2 - March 2008
Book 2 - April 2008
Book 2 - May 2008
Book 2 - July 2008
Book 2 - 2009 Part One
Book 2 - 2009 Part II
Book 2 - 2010
Book 2 - 2017

Book 2 - 1997 Part Two

541 24 5
By GauriDevi

Arjun and Kavita’s wedding

 “Mom, I’ll be back soon.  I’m going to the airport to pick up Christina I’ll be back within a couple of hours.  Do you need me to pick up anything on my way home?”

“Nothing darling.  Just bring that lovely wife of yours.  I wish she could have taken more time off of work and come earlier with you.  I’m looking forward to getting to know her.  I feel like you just got married and now I’m lucky enough to get a second daughter so soon.  Drive safely.”

“Thanks mom,” I say as I run out the door.  I’m so excited to see Christina.  I know it’s only been five days without her, but I don’t like being away from her.

I race up Highway 101 to get to SFO (San Francisco airport).  I pull into the United terminal and park my car so I can go inside to see her sooner.  I wait in baggage claim for twenty minutes before she emerges and I run up to her and pull her into my arms.

“I missed you.  I’m glad you’re here.”

Christina stands on her tippy toes and kisses me, “I missed you too.”  Once her luggage comes I grab it and we walk back to the car.

“Are you hungry? We can stop and grab a bite to eat before we go home,” I ask.

“No I’m good.  I’d like to get home and just relax.  Plus, I’m sure your mom has a good bottle of wine waiting to be opened.”

“I’m sure she does and she’d love the company.”

“So what’s the plan for the next few days?” she asks.

“Well, this evening is the mehndi party for the bride, but Kavita has invited you and my mom.  Tomorrow night is the Sangeet (music) party, and then Saturday is the Sikh wedding ceremony is in the morning, and then the Hindu ceremony is late afternoon followed by the reception, and on Sunday there’s a brunch just for family and out of town guests.  And then, I was hoping next week after the wedding is over we can take a few days to explore and go to Monterrey, Napa and whatever else your heart desires.”

“I can’t believe the wedding is a four day affair.  Can’t they can shorten the wedding so I can see a little bit of the Bay area.  It seems so unnecessary.”

“Christina the wedding rituals are not negotiable.  Plus, it’s a wonderful excuse for family and friends to get together, think of it like a mini vacation.  We have plenty of time to roam around the Bay area after the wedding is over.”

“Alex, I had to change my tickets, I’m leaving Sunday night, the deal I’m working on is really hot.  You’ll have to take me around the Bay area on our next trip.”

“You didn’t tell me that you changed your ticket.”

“I’m so sorry, it just happened and its’ been super crazy.”

“Yeah sure, we’ll explore next time.”

She reached her hand over and placed it on my lap, “I’m so sorry Alex.  I know you were looking forward to showing me around.  I promise next time we’ll just come and do nothing but go around.”

“Yeah, sure, not a problem.  We’ll do it next time.  Until then let’s enjoy the wedding festivities.”  I say as I pull up into my parent’s driveway.

I pull out Chris’ luggage from the trunk and the door opens and both my parents come out with huge smiles. 

“Hello Christina, it’s so nice to see you,” my mom gushes as she gives her a big hug.

“Yes, it’s wonderful to see you.  How was your flight?” my father asks.

“It was uneventful, so no problems at all.”

“Well come on in we have a glass of wine waiting for you,” my mom states as she ushers Christina into the house with my father following.

I take the bags upstairs to my room before joining my parents and my wife for a glass of wine.

“Where’s Arjun?” I ask.

“Yes, where is our groom? This is not good if he’s not here, he’s up to trouble than,” my father laments.

“He’s probably sneaking around at the hotel Kavita and her family are staying at,” Christina suggests.

“Unfortunately, you’re probably right.  Let’s enjoy the peace and quiet before he storms back,” I say.

We spend the next hour drinking wine and munching on cheese and crackers and catching up before Arjun finally graces us with his presence.

Arjun quietly closes the front door to sneak in not realizing we are all sitting together in the main sitting room. 

“So where have you been little brother?” I ask.

“Oh damn it Amar you scared the shit out of me.  I didn’t think any one was home,” he replies.

“We’re all in the living room.  Come and say hello to your sister-in-law,” my father yells.

Arjun grimaces.

He walks into the parlor and goes to greet Christina.  “It’s so good to see you, glad you could finally make it for my wedding,” Arjun states with that passive aggressive tone.  And it’s started already.  For some reason there was always tension between Chris and Arjun.

“It’s so wonderful to see you too; I was expecting you to be home when I got here.   So where have you been?” Chris asked.

“I was running errands.”

“Or visiting Kavita?” she countered.

“I’m going upstairs to change.  Amar you’ll be ready soon right?”

“Where are you going?” Chris asked.

“I’m going out with Arjun and some friends and family for an impromptu bachelor party.  You’re going to the mehndi party anyway so I thought I’d take Arjun out one last time before bachelorhood ends.”

“Oh you didn’t mention you were going out,” Chris said defensively.

“You didn’t think my brother would let me get married before getting him drunk off his ass.” Arjun quipped.

“You mean getting you drunk off your ass?” Chris quipped back.

“Same difference.  I need to take a shower before we leave.”

“Chris darling, I hope you don’t mind but I bought a few Indian outfits for you on my last trip to India.  I’ve hung them up in Alex’ room.  The purple one was meant for tonight.  Let me know if you need it ironed.  We should probably head out around 7pm.”

“Helen do you mind if I skip out?  I’ll be at the sangeet tomorrow night, but I’m feeling tired tonight and I’m three hours ahead and I’ve been up late every night for the last week.  Plus, this event really is for the bride anyway.”

My mom’s face stares blankly at me, but her English upbringing causes her to pull it together.  “Sure Christina, if that’s what you feel is best, then please stay home and rest.  Our home is your home.  Can I get you anything before I head out?” my mom asks.

“Maybe Chris you can take a short nap and then you and mom can go a little later, I’m sure everyone will be up late.” I plead.

“Alex, please, I really need to rest.”

“Sure.  Let me take you up to our room so you can get settled.”

The next morning.

“Alex where the fuck are you? Your god damn mother is on the phone looking for you! Wake the fuck up!” Jaden one of Arjun’s friends yells at me as I barely register what is going on.

“Someone’s calling for me?” I ask full of sleep in my eyes.

Jaden throws the cordless phone at me, “I’m going back to bed.”

“Hello,” I croak.

“Where the hell are you?” my wife yells over the phone.

“Chris calm down, I’m just at a friend’s place.  I’ll be home later, maybe after I’ve had some food, or a shower, or some more sleep,” I slur.

“Are you still drunk?”

“I’m hung-over.  Chris please don’t yell, it hurts when you do.”

“Why am I even here if you’re going to be off getting drunk sleeping god knows where.  You leave me stranded here with your parents!” she continues to yell.

“Chris calm down I had too much to drink and I crashed at a friend’s, well we all crashed at Jaden’s place.  It’s no big deal.”

“It’s no big deal?? You left me all alone with your parents!”

“They don’t bite Chris.  Look I’m going back to bed and then I’ll have Arjun drive me home as soon as he is up.  Okay.  Just relax will you.”

“I’ll come pick you up, give me the address.”

“Chris I don’t know the address.  I’ll get home in plenty of time to get ready for the Sangeet.”

“What am I supposed to do all day?”

“I don’t know Chris, relax, take a long shower, go to lunch with my mom, do anything you want, but please let me go back to bed.”

“I can’t believe you…”

Arjun clicked the phone off.  “For god’s sake, shut the fuck up and go back to bed Amar.”

I threw the phone into the chair across from me and landed back on the sofa I’d slept on and went back to bed.  Chris was going to kill me no matter what so I might as well get some more sleep before she yelled at me.

Sangeet (Music Party before the wedding)

“You look beautiful,” I whisper into Chris’ ear.

“I feel like I’m going to trip any second in this sari and klutz is more what I feel like.”

“You should wear sari’s more often, you look very sexy in them.”

“I still haven’t forgiven you for last night.  So you’re not getting away with just calling me sexy.”

“I know you’re still mad, but you still look sexy,” I smile.

I grab her hand, “Come on I see Kavita’s parent’s I want to introduce you to them.”

“Sat sri akaal,” I say and then touch Kavita’s parents feet out of respect and for blessings. 

“Sat sri akaal,” uncle and auntie respond.

“I don’t think you’ve met my wife Christina yet,” I say as I introduce them to each other. 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Christina.  Amar has been missing you all week long.  He looks much happier now that you’re here.”

“Yes we missed you last night at the mehndi party.  We ladies were looking on quizzing you on the Shergill boys!” auntie teased.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t able to make it, I had a headache and after a long day of travel, I really needed to rest,” Chris responded stiffly.

“Well I know things are really going to be hectic this weekend, but we really would like to get to know you both better, so I hope you’ll come and visit us in Seattle,” uncle said.

“Yes, that would be wonderful especially now that we’re family.  I hope you know you always have a home in Seattle,” auntie said as she squeezed Chris hand.

“Uncle and auntie I think you’re being requested to go to the stage to speak.”

“Yes, thank you Amar beta, we’ll talk more later,” uncle said as he and auntie walked towards the stage.

“Why did he invite us to Seattle?” Chris asked.

“Because we’re family now.  Our families are now connected now that Arjun and Kavita are getting married.  I wish your parents had come to the wedding.  I really would have liked them to be here.”

“That’s not necessary with American parents.”

“It may not be necessary, but I would have liked them to be here.  They are like a second set of parents for me.  In fact I see them more than I see my own parents.”

 “You sure have a lot of rules.  Come on let’s get a drink and you can begin introducing me to all of these people!”

Wedding

“I’m so tired and we still have another wedding to sit through,” Christina complained as we sat up front right before the Hindu ceremony was about to start.

“I don’t understand why couldn’t they just do a Sikh or Hindu wedding why do they have to do both?”

“Because they both respect each other’s religions and if they’re willing to do it, the least we can do is sit through it.”

“They sure have a lot patience and not to mention a lot of money to spend on two weddings plus a four day affair.  It seems like such a waste of money.”

“Weddings are a big event in Indian culture.  Parents save for it from the time their children are young.  It’s what brings families together.  I guess it’s our version of family reunions.”

“Very expensive family reunions I might add.”

“I can’t believe you’re complaining.  Don’t women love an excuse to dress up, dance and party?  What’s not to like?”

“Okay let’s just agree to disagree.  Big flashy weddings are just not my thing.  So tell me what’s happening right now.”

I look up on stage and there is sheet between Kavita and Arjun and they can’t see each other but their hands are joined under the sheet.  Arjun of course pulls her and tries to get his bride to lose her balance. 

“Maharaj, how do I know you are not trying to switch girls on me? I mean you’re not exchanging Kavita for one of her ugly cousins are you?” Arjun asks the priest.  Everyone is laughing. 

The Maharaj responds, “You’re a funny one.  You do know that Hindu weddings are long as it is without the commentary but you feel free to run a comedy show and that will only make the wedding longer which will only mean it will be much later until you get your lovely bride to yourself.  I don’t have anywhere to go.  I can sit up here all day and night.” he smiles.

Now everyone is laughing.  “Looks like they found an appropriate priest to handle Arjun’s jokster ways,” I whisper to Christina who is laughing hard.

I look over at Chris, I like seeing her laugh.  I think it’s the first time I’ve seen her enjoy herself at the wedding so far.  Of course it’s at my brothers expense.

Arjun behaves himself after the priest chastising him.

During the Kanya Dhan my dad starts crying.  “Dad you know you’re the father of the groom and not the bride so you don’t need to cry.  I mean she’s joining our family.” I say to my dad.

He nods his head and looks at the priest, “Is there a Kanya Dhan ceremony where a father can give away his son? Because I’d like to give away my son right now.  Kavita, I will gladly take you as my daughter.  My two boys have given me too much grief, it’s about time we have some Laxmi in this house.”  He pauses and then looks at Kavita’s parents, “We can exchange you know.  I’ll give you Arjun for Kavita.”

Everyone but Arjun laughs.  For once I actually feel sorry for Arjun, but only for a second.  Arjun has pulled so many pranks in his life, this is just his karma coming back to him.

Christina whispers into my ear, “The Kanya dhan with the father giving away his daughter like she’s a piece of property seems so ridiculous.  It’s not like he owns her.”

I reply, “How is it any different from a Christian wedding when the father walks his daughter down the aisle and gives her away to her husband.  The details are different, but the sentiment is the same.”

“That’s why I’m an atheist.  These are just barbaric customs.”

I look up at the stage and I see my sister-in-law trying to hold back the tears in her eyes.  She’s moved by the ceremony and she looks at her father with such love in her eyes.   Nothing on stage looks barbaric to me.  What I see a father and a daughter honoring a time old tradition.  Even my own father has tears in his eyes.

Maybe Kavita will fill the shoes of being a daughter to my parents; I know that’s a role Christina doesn’t feel comfortable with.

I get lost in my thoughts thinking about how different Kavita and Christina are and barely realize the ceremony is over.

I’m standing and we’re clapping as everyone is happy the long ceremony is over and Arjun and Kavita are finally married.  Several of the girls surround the stage and then another group of females from Kavita’s side of the family surrounded me. 

“What are they doing?” Chris asked me a bit worried.

“They’re trying to rob me!” I laugh as I register they’ve stolen Arjun’s shoes and they want us to pay up.

“What do you mean? Didn’t your brother just marry their sister? Why would they want to rob you?”

“Arjun jijaji where are your shoes?” Neera, Kavita’s younger sister asks.

“You can’t go to the reception without your shoes.” Neera smiles and tilts her head in a teasing way.

“I’m going desi style without any shoes my dear saali.”  (Saali means your wife sister)

“Be my guest.  Hope you don’t mind the hot pavement outside.” Neera retorts.

Christina poked me in my ribs, “Seriously, what’s going on?”

I looked down at her, “The girls from the bride’s side steal the groom’s shoes during the ceremony and they don’t give them back until the groom pays them enough money.  I better go and help Arjun.”

“Arjun don’t worry about your shoes, I have an extra pair you can borrow.  We’re the same size anyway.”

“Thanks Amar bhaiya.”

“Suit yourself.  I guess it’s true what they said about you California boys.” Neera teases.  I could already tell his new sister in law was going to match my brother’s smart mouth.

Of course Arjun took the bait.  “What do they say about California boys?”

“That you’re cheap of course.  I mean you’d rather go barefoot rather than pay for your shoes back.  And here I was defending you to all of my cousins that you weren’t like that and Kavita would be in good hands.  Looks like I was wrong.”

Arjun grabs the wad of cash from my hand and hands her $500 immediately.  “That’s it? Have you seen how many saali’s you have (sister-in-laws),” Neera responds.  She was including all of her female cousins’ as saali’s.  They were all back behind her giving her support.

Arjun doesn’t even try to negotiate and is about to hand her another $300.  I laugh because I like seeing Arjun on the receiving end of crap!

“Wait a second, how do I know these are all of your cousins? You could have hired them for all I know.  You’re probably going to take our money and not share a thing,” I say trying to at least put up a semblance of resistance.

Arjun looks at me with surprised eyes.  I shrug my shoulders, “We can’t give up that easily.”

He hugs me.  “Yeah, how do we really know these are all of my saalis?”

“Or for that matter that you even have the shoes?”

Neera puffs, “Of course we have the shoes!”

“Show them to me.”

“Give me the money first.”

“Shoes first.”

Neera whispers into one of her cousin’s ears and she turns her back and then turns around, “Here’s one show.”  Then she tosses a toddler’s shoe.  And all of the girls laugh as Arjun catches it with one hand.

“Let’s go Amar, I’ll just wear your shoes.”

“No, no, here is your first shoe,” Neera yells and actually hands him one shoe.

“You have to pay me another $500 for the second shoe.”

“The shoes aren’t even worth the first $500,” I respond.

“Fine go shoe shopping on your wedding day,” she responds mischievously to Arjun. 

The Maharaj comes up and pats Arjun on the back and laughs, “You sure like postponing your wedding night.  Is there something we should know? Maybe he’s just nervous to be alone with his bride and that’s why he’s stalling.”

Arjun grabs the entire wad of money from my hand and hands it his new sister in law.  “This is everything I have.  Where’s my other shoe?”

We’re all laughing so hard.  There is nothing like questioning a guy’s manhood to get him riled up.

Neera grabs the wad of cash and hands him the other shoe and then runs away with all of her cousins giggling.

She should probably give a portion of it to the priest since he helped clinch the deal and she got way more than we’d planned on giving for the shoes.

I stepped down from the stage to meet Christina.  “Wow, you just paid over a grand for a one hundred dollar pair of shoes and you still don’t think Indian weddings are expensive,” she says as she nods her head.

“Aren’t you glad we didn’t do this and I don’t have any sisters?” she asks.

I smile and keep to myself that I would have loved to have done this with her family.  Instead I say, “Come on, now the dancing begins.”

“But you don’t like dancing?”

“I make an exception for my brother’s wedding.” I say as I pull her hand to lead her to the front of the pack where all of the action is.

I spend the evening dancing and drinking more scotch than I have in a long time.  It’s the longest time I’ve ever spent on the dance floor.  I’m thrilled to see how happy Arjun is with Kavita.  I couldn’t have picked out a more perfect wife for Arjun.

Next morning at brunch

It’s the last event of a long weekend and we end it with brunch at the hotel Kavita’s family is staying at.  Chris and I are eating brunch with Kavita’s and my parents.  The bride and groom are at the front of the room making their way through speaking to all of the friends and family members. 

When Arjun and Kavita finally make it to their table to sit down for brunch.  Arjun comes up to me, “Amar I could kill you.”

Immediately, my father and Arjun’s father-in-law looks up in alarm.  Three of my cousins and four of Arjun’s friends come rushing to the table.

“You’re my brother, how could you let it happen? You’re my older brother which means you’re supposed to look out for me.”

Now Chris is looking at me alarmed.

I smile.  “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You know damn well what I’m talking about. There were ten alarm clocks hidden throughout the room going off every half hour.”

“Did you call the hotel staff?” I ask innocently.

“What about the pizza? Did you get the pizza?” Jaden asked barely able to contain himself.

“What about the fact the sheets were short sheeted?” Shekhar asked.

“And the saran wrapped toilet? That was brilliant wasn’t it?” Tony said.

Now both fathers are howling with laughter.

Chris is looking at me confused.

“I told them not to do it, but they wouldn’t listen,” I say innocently.

‘Of course you told us not to do it after you gave us the key to their room,” Tony laughed.

“You messed up their wedding suite?” Chris asked.

“We didn’t mess it up, we decorated it,” I laughed.

“Yeah beautiful decorations,” Arjun said as he threw dozens of flavored condoms on the table.

I couldn’t help myself; after that all of us who had been in on ruining his wedding suite laughed.  I laughed so hard my sides hurt.

“Sorry man you so deserved it.” I got up and hugged Kavita.  “You know that none of this was aimed at you.  Arjun has had this coming for a long time and it was payback time.  We love you and if we could have put you in a separate room we would have.”

“Oh my god, why didn’t we do that separate rooms for the bride and groom on their wedding night that would have been hysterical!” Jaden yelped as he clapped his hands.

Kavita smiled and she hugged me back.  “I forgive you as long as I know none of it was aimed at me.  You probably have a lot of payback from your wedding.”

“I didn’t do anything at Amar bhaiya’s wedding.  Their wedding was so small and quick there was no time to get into trouble.  I feel cheated that I didn’t get to mess up your room or pull any pranks at your wedding.”

My father intervened, “Arjun I think you’ve caused more than enough trouble in your lifetime and last night doesn’t even begin to make up for all of the shit you’ve pulled and that includes the crap you’ve pulled on your brother.  Consider yourself lucky there wasn’t more damage.”

Everyone laughed but Christina, Arjun and me.

I broke the tension, “Come on Kavita, Arjun you must be starved come and sit you’ll need energy to make it up to Kavita tonight.”

Everyone laughed including Arjun.  Except I knew Arjun was laughing just on the outside.  He was upset with me.

We made it through brunch and I watched as Kavita and Arjun weaved through the guests and thanked them for coming.

“Would you really have wanted to get married this way?” Chris asked breaking into my thoughts.

“I wouldn’t have minded if that’s what you wanted.”

“Do you really think this is what Kavita wanted?” Chris asked.

“Look over at both of them and see how Kavita is happy and laughing.  I’d say yes, this is exactly what she wanted a big traditional Indian wedding.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 264 11
This story is the 2nd book in The Singhania Series but is also a standalone. You can read it without reading the first book in series. ...
112K 10K 23
Book 2 of "Destined To Be" [Winner Of Tweet Your Story India] In the hustle-bustle of the Twenty-First Century, where everyone forgets about themself...
4.3K 247 32
Could Love Find Its Way Through a Scripted Story? Jaanvi was willing to find out. Jaanvi Arora was a hopeless romantic born in an elite class indian...
4M 139K 83
STOP RIGHT THERE Mrs Priya Ekaansh Raghuvanshi, a shiver ran down her spine listening his dangerous voice she gulp and tightly close her eyes,she was...