Happily Ever After (The Drug...

By awesomegal15

It's been three years of complete bliss. I love my family, my job everything life has given me. But, sometim... More

A Real Highlight
Lara
Peasants!
Badge of Honor
Timeout
Miss Me?
What Happened?
Interview with a Nanny
Breakfast
She's Fine
Together or Not at All
No You Don't
Off-Day
Paris. Is. Mine.
Heartbroken
So You Have a Plan
Not. Even. Close.
First Tooth
Late Nights
Meeting and Sleep
Do It
What's Wrong?
What Did You Do Today?
27 Letters
Big Problem
Hemingway Champagne
Family Meeting
Do You Understand?
Masa
He Will
What Do I Say?
An Explanation
I Blinked
Two Fingers
Morse Code
No Redemption
Rovaniemi Church
Cooing
You Have my Attention
Nailing it as a Dad
Open Minded
Hitman Angel
First Day
A Lazy Sunday
Hip
Is She Still In You?
Renegades
Lily
Nothing Too Terribly Exciting
What Have You Done?
First Name, Middle Name, Last Name
Monster Spray
We Need To Talk
Purse
Always A Pleasure
A Day From H-E-L-L
To The Grave
Always Love You
Perfectly Imperfect
A Balance
Have I Ever Disappointed You?
I Love You
That's It

Midnight Oil

7.4K 319 6
By awesomegal15

Chapter 9

Adam

After a full day of "training" Connie. Jennifer had finally called it a day. She was super critical of everything Connie did. But Connie adapted and did everything exactly the way Jennifer wanted it. Alma seemed to like Connie, not enough for her to do story time tonight. Which I was fine with, storytime was our thing.

I read A Wrinkle in Time again. Until she fell asleep, then tucked her in. I checked on the twins who were content with Connie. Since Connie, had agreed to the nanny position we set her up with a suite room right across from the twins room. It was more than comfortable but I would remodel it to make it more livable. I would have Jolene decorated the room however Connie wanted it.

I was just about to head to Jennifer and I's  room when I pass by and Lara's door. I heard soft crying from her cracked door.

I paused like a deer in headlights not knowing what to do.

Maybe she wants to talk?

Or maybe this is a Jennifer thing. The thoughts of a teenage girl are an enigma to me.

"Meowwww", did Michael leave Belle here? That fucking cat had it's own house. Michael had come to me asking me to design a castle. I thought he wanted a summer home, something for him and Sara to enjoy.

No.

Not even close, Michael had my design built but on the scale of a dog house. I don't know why a cat would need a six-bedroom castle but Belle does. And apparently her own personal wait staff.

"Mmmeeeeooowwww".

I decided to knock on the door,"Lara?"

I heard Bella purring.

Knock knock

She didn't say anything so I just walked in. I walked past the sitting room and saw her sitting cross-legged on the floor with her back towards me. Lara was holding and petting Belle. She had on an oversized green hoodie and black running shorts. Her face was starting to heal, it was still bad just not as bad as the first time I saw her. A lot of the swelling around her eye had gone away, she was still black and blue all over. And now shades of purple are starting to show up on her cheeks.

"Don't get too attached that cat. Michael will fight you for his "first born".

She jumped startled by my voice,"I'm sorry. I should have asked". She said quickly wiping her face and putting Belle on the floor.

I stayed in the doorway leaning against the frame,"Don't be. Michael is just..." eccentric, stupid I could think of a thousand words to describe Michael but just one wouldn't do him justice.  "Michael".

She turned around to face me still sitting on the floor. Belle stayed close by her side,"Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot".

"How long can I stay here?" She said.

"As long as you want", I said.

"Why? Why are you being nice to me?" She said.

"I can repeat back what Jennifer said to you or I tell you the truth which do you prefer?"

"The truth", she said.

"Jennifer and I would like to adopt you", she looks surprised but I continued,"My other brother, the one who is not an ass, did a background check on you. You don't have anyone. And Jennifer is determined to keep you here".

"Why? You all barely know me", she said looking down to the carpet.

"If you came out of your room that could change", I said walking over to her and sitting on the floor.

"I walk around at night", she said softly. "I like looking at your cars".

A girl after my own heart.

"Can you drive?" I asked.

She shook her head no.

"Want to learn?"

She pointed to herself and her eyes were as big as saucers,"Really?"

"Yeah", I said kind of exciting. I love Jennifer but cars really weren't her thing. The W Motors Lykan Hypersport she got me it's still the best gift I've ever received. Nothing on Earth can top that.

I looked down at the watch Jennifer had got me all those years ago.

9:43pm

"What do you say? No more night walking, but some real driving?" I said.

I could see joy run across her face, excitement in her eyes,"Yes!"

"Just one thing, you can't tell Jennifer. I'm pretty sure she'll have me thrown in jail for child endangerment", I laughed.

Because it's true. I didn't put Alma's seatbelt on one time. You would have thought I bombed a preschool the way Jennifer laid into me.

She stood up and said,"Okay".

I stood up too,"I'll meet you in the  garage I just have to let the security team know we're going out", I also wanted to check on Jennifer. Before we got Connie she was the one who stayed up with the twins the most. She needed a good night's rest.

I walked out of Lara's room and and went to check on Jennifer. Cracking our door I peeked inside the room.

Jennifer was asleep.

I quietly shut the door and went and found Thomas. I told him he could go home to the for the night. Thomas has been with me almost as long as James and Ross have been. Thomas had his own family he shouldn't be here all day and night. I found Lara in the underground garage fascinated with all of my toys. "Which one is it going to be?" I called out my voice carried throughout the room.

"I get to pick?" She said.

"Anything but W Motors Lykan Hypersport", I pointed to the black beauty on the a circular raised stand in the center of the room. All of our cars were lined up in two lines. One side was full of black SUV business cars and the other was for play and pleasure.

"Uumm how about that one?" She pointed to my red Corvette ZR1. Actually that was a pretty good car to practice in. I rarely drove it, it was more of an impulse buy. And it was an automatic.

"Sure", I walked over to the wall of keys and grabbed the key and toss it to Lara she caught it and skipped over to the car. I walked over to her and opened the driver's door. She put the key in the ignition and roll down the window. Lara pulled the seat up closer to the wheel excited about driving. "Ok this car has over 755 horsepower. So as tempting as it is, you don't have to put your foot all the way down on the gas".

"Okay", she said

"But, if you don't do that you won't hear the engine roar to life", I know I shouldn't be encouraging her to speed but... Come on, no one buys a fast car to go slow. She stepped down on the gas and the engine roared, echoing throughout the entire garage.

She smiled like a kid on Christmas. I knew I excited as one.

I explained to her the gears, how to move your foot from gas to break, keeping your hands at ten and two and all the basics. Okay, it it's time to drive. I got in on the passenger side and before she could take the car out of park I said,"Seatbelt".

That should be worth some points. I'd probably just lose those points because I was letting a minor drive. But still, I thought about it.

After we had on our seat belts I press the garage door opener and said," Okay we're going to ease out of here nice and---" I was jerked back as Lara slammed on the gas. We drove out of the garage like we had just set the place on fire. There was a slight hill towards the opening and Lara didn't slow down we hit the hill going at least 80 miles an hour. For a brief second we were gliding through the air landing roughly back down on the ground. I held onto the window bar as we skidded to a stop just before the entry gate.

Adrenaline was pumping through my veins, my heart was beating as if it would come out of my mouth. Was this how Jennifer felt when I drove fast?

"So, couple things..."

"To much?" Lara asked.

Well we aren't dead.

"Lets stay around 40mph? Just until you have more control over the wheel", I suggested letting go of the window bar.

She nodded with smile and said,"Okay".

I typed in the gate code and we slowly made our way onto the street.

Jennifer

I laid in bed sleepless. I saw the lights in the hallway creep in for a second, Adam had come to check on me and I pretended to be asleep. I didn't want him to worry about me.

I tossed and turned but just couldn't find the right position. A lingering haze of sleep sat somewhere at the back of my mind but was too far away to reach, floating in the pool of my memories. Icy discomfort blossomed in my chest and made it difficult for me to breathe. Trying to make myself fall into slumber, I took as deep breaths as I could, but many just caught in my throat, like an icy wind had blown down there and managed to freeze the air solid. At that moment, I knew this was going to be a long night.

I stared at the video baby monitor on my nightstand. Connie was rocking Fitz back to sleep. The twins were both cranky tonight. They had been fed, changed and rocked. I did everything humanly possible to make them happy, but it wasn't enough. Eventually I couldn't take the crying anymore, the piercing non-stop crying. Our bundle of joys just wanted to scream. Maria cries like she's in pain for so many different reasons. Fitz didn't cry, no he screeched like am angry cat, only growing harsher and louder and more intense, more fractious.

Each wailing cry felt like it broke me. I finally had to just give up and let Connie try. She didn't give up, these weren't even her kids. But, she didn't give up. I did. I should try harder. Jesus Christ these are my kids.

I got out of bed and put on my bedroom slippers and my silk long navy blue robe to match my nightgown. I started to walk to the nursery. Only to pause at the door, I wanted to open the door and go in. But I couldn't bring my hand to connect with the door knob. It was almost like I was fighting against myself. I stood they're shaking willing myself to open the damn door. I felt my hands go numb with pins and needles.

Until eventually I stopped trying, I placed my forehead on the white door. And listen to Fitz and Maria cry out.

"Meowww", my eyes popped open as I look down to the ground to see... well I didn't know who I was seeing I didn't know if this was Edgar or Belle. "Meeooowww".

Okay, Belle.

She rubbed against my ankles before disappearing down the hallway into Alma's room.

Pushed myself away from the door and and started aimlessly walking.  I was lost in my own thoughts, why was I such a terrible mother?

"Hey kid!" I looked up towards the voice and realize I was walking outside on the sidewalk.

How the fuck did I get out here?

"Rodger?" I said looking up pass his gated property. He was his the balcony smoking," I thought you were in Florida?"

"Nah, Celine was dying to go. So when your folks agreed to go they were jetting away within the hour. What the fuck is down there that I don't already have here?" Rodger rambled. Rodger and Adam had more than just bad blood between them. But Rodger was trying to make a change, not that any of his sons would forgive him. And I couldn't blame them after years of physical and emotional abuse it was going to take the rest of his life to earn back and iota of anything other than resentment. But I didn't know Rodger when he was abusive, and he's never been anything but good to me and to Alma. If Adam asked him for anything, which he wouldn't, I know Rodger would make it happen. Rodger and Celine lived ten minutes away, and I did some quick math in my head. That meant I had been walking for at least an hour and forty-one minutes aimlessly around.

I shouted back to him,"Burning the midnight oil?"

Taking a long drag of his cigarette he said,"Better than walking it. Where's my dutiful boy at?"

"To be honest I have no clue", I really didn't know where Adam was. He could have been called away on business or just out.

"Well get in here. I don't need my favorite daughter-in-law getting sick", Rodger and I got along just fine. He helped me run and his business when he was in a coma. We both liked football and I was slowly starting to get him to like baseball. He was one of the first people next to my parents and Adam to hold the twins when they were born.

Rodger did not like Sara, she like the boys believe there was no redemption for him. And she threw that in his face a lot. She didn't want her children around Rodger, and Michael agreed with her.

I crossed the empty street. The gate was an impressive wrought iron affair with spikes at the top. It opened electronically from inside the big house. Unless you were some kind of ninja burglar the only way in was to buzz the intercom and announce your arrival. Adam spared no expense when it came to his mother. And I love that about him, he would do anything for his family. Except Rodger. If Celine left him today, Adam would take every thing he had a way. So no cars, boats, houses, jets, expensive clothes, and anything else Adam had bought for them.

The mansion loomed proudly behind creaky iron gates, flanked by rows of skeletal trees crowned in crimson, swaying gently to the chilly autumn wind. At its threshold stood the delicate marble fountain, the soft gurgling of the clear water melodic as it resonated in the surrounding silence. The gate swing open and I push my way through. Walking up the gravel driveway to the front door. Adam can swear up and down all he wants that are home is his magnum opus. But this was truly a work of art, he combined TWO homes to create this one-of-a-kind mansion on steroids. It sits on 29,000 square feet of living space with 11 bedrooms, 17 full and 5 half bathrooms, 2-story foyer with staircase, formal living & dining rooms, gourmet kitchen, breakfast room, family room with wet bar, home office/library, billiards room with wet bar, spa, wine cellar, 2-lane bowling alley, gym, indoor basketball court, dj room and much more.  Adam's imagination hand has gone crazy here  because on the outside there were two gated entrances, patios, swimming pool with spa, pool/guest house, basketball court, tennis court, built-in trampoline and its very own water park complete with slides.

I walked up to the front white door of the Chateau-Style Mansion and met Rodger at the door. "Kid you sleep walking or did I forget to throw on my curlers for a slumber party?" He laughed.

"You know since I'm here I got to see that", I said walking into his parlor. The house was done completely in White marble, gold and blood red.

"How about two beers?" He said.

"I'll do you one better how about two cigarettes?" I said sitting down on the Victorian white couch.

"Since when do you smoke?" He asked.

"I don't", I winked.

He went to the fireplace mantel and pulled out a wooden box. He came and sat down next to me put in the box in my lap and I saw it was full of cigars,"Regius Cigars, they're the best you'll ever have".

I picked up one closing the box up and putting it on the coffee table,"Probably, the most expensive too". I put the cigarette to my mouth and Rodger quickly lit it. I inhale deeply and found it smooth and almost sweet in a way. I looked over to the corner by one of the wall to ceiling windows and saw a grand piano,"Who took up the piano?"

"No one", he laughed,"That is strictly for Alma. It makes Celine's day anytime baby girl comes over and plays. She's fucking good, she has to get it from her mother".

I exhale the smoke,"Agreed. Alma's going to be a great beauty and a success when she grows up". And I was so proud of her, I knew Alma but you're great things. Whatever she puts her mind to, she would succeed.

She has true grit.

"Has anyone told you about Lara? You don't come by anymore", I said.

"Celine wants us to wait, something about germs some medical stuff you probably know about. You pregnant again? Adam must be determined to keep your legs in the air", He laughed.

"If only", I said really enjoying the cigar. "You remember Noah right?" He nodded yes,"Well he's dead. Apparently he had a side business of trafficking girls. And I found one he beat half to death".

"Sounds about right with his record. How olds the girl?"

"Fourteen", I said.

"Jesus", he said.

"I had Brandon looking to her history, she doesn't have anyone. She was going to be sold to some Russian billionaire... Adrik?"

"Locke? You would think with all that money you wouldn't have to buy children", Rodger said disgusted.

I felt my body relaxing,"You would think. I have plans for him", they were downright medieval.

"So your keeping her?" He said.

"That's the plan, she's sheepish right now. Which is understandable for psychological pains will last longer than any of her physical ones".

"Why do I feel like that's not the only thing that's happened?" Rodger said standing up,"Beer?"

"Please", I said.

Rodger disappeared down the hallway into the kitchen and returned back with two Space Barley beer. Beer was never my go to drink. I was still a sweet Moscato girl. But, if Rodger could watch baseball with me I could learn to acquire the taste of beer.

I just had to Stockholm syndrome myself into liking it. Just like everyone else.

 He popped the bottle then handed it to me before sitting down. "You wouldn't by any chance know anyone by the name of Henthorn?"

"Nope. I know a Thronwood, son of a bitch still owes me 50K, I'm never going to collect", He said. Before I can even ask why Rodger finish his sentence by saying,"Shot three times in the head. I told him you don't sleep with another man's son. Why?"

Ok.

Definitely wasn't expecting that.

I explain what happened with the car crash. And the missing products Adam had told me about.

"Same old shit. When you're on top everyone wants what you got, you want me to make a call?"

"No", I took a swig of my beer,"This is something I want to handle personally".

"God help him", Rodger said extending his beer. I extended mine too. We cheered and chugged our beers.

Not even God is going to be able to help him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

490 83 52
I never thought it would end like this. I always thought I had a home. I always thought I had a family, but as it turns out, my past is darker than t...
1.2K 23 14
Three years have passed since she left me, three years and I've never forgotten
2.9K 226 25
Well... this is kinda the story of my life . Almost all of it .
6.8K 216 19
I had this story on Otakufanfic.com, but I figured that since it got over 1,000 Read Counts, then it's good enough for Wattpad lol. It's not edited p...