Pokémon USUM: Hero Born of Da...

By TheRisingFlame

Current Cover and Banners by @ImberLapis Zeno, a teen on the run from his past life, finds his way to Alola i... More

Disclaimer
Arc 1: Alolan Beginnings
Prologue: The Many Beginnings
Chapter 1: Alola to Alola
Chapter 2: The Starters
Chapter 3: The Trainer Battle
Chapter 4: The Mysterious Pokemon
Chapter 5: The Festival
Chapter 6: Enter Team Skull
Chapter 7: A Mysterious Encounter
Chapter 8: The First Trial
Chapter 9: Darkness of Past and Present
Chapter 10: Within the Hollow
Chapter 11: A Fighting Chance
Chapter 12: Beneath the Waves
Chapter 13: The Haunting (Improved Version)
Chapter 14: The Golden Son
Chapter 15: Battles Between Rivals
Chapter 16: A Rivaled Encounter
Chapter 17: Trial by Evolution
Chapter 18: The Prophecy
Chapter 19: The Volcano's Protector
Chapter 20: New Revelations
Chapter 21: The Trial and the Ball
Chapter 22: The Growing Shadows
Chapter 23: Dugtrio's Revenge
Chapter 24: Invasion of the Dittos
Chapter 25: A Rocky Finale
Chapter 26: The goddess Below
Chapter 27: The Dark Past of Alola
Chapter 28: Gang War in Konikoni
Chapter 29: Aether Paradise
Chapter 30: The Gym
Chapter 31: His Dark Past
Chapter 32: Call of the Darkness
Chapter 33: Shooting Stars
Author's Note, Midway Summary, and a little somethings at the end
Arc 2: The Prophecy Unfolds
Chapter 34: Beginning of a Bad Joke
Chapter 35: It's Ya Boy!
Chapter 36: Visions of the Future
Chapter 37: The Oasis
Chapter 38: The One He Loved
Chapter 39: The Ghostly Trial
Chapter 40: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 1: Kidnapped
Chapter 41: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 2: Battle of the Bosses
Chapter 42: A Test of Strength
Chapter 43: Storming Aether
Chapter 44: The Queen of Aether
Chapter 45: Feelings Shared
Chapter 46: Mahina
Chapter 47: Showdown with the Queen
Chapter 48: Returning the Light
Chapter 49: The Insanity of Cassandra
Chapter 50: Ark City
Chapter 51: The Rising Shadow
Chapter 52: Hero Born of Darkness
Chapter 53: Reign of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 54: The Hero Reborn
Chapter 55: Fall of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 56: Clash of the Deities
Chapter 57: A Period of Rest and Restoration
Arc 3: Alola's First Pokémon League
Chapter 58: The Final Grand Trial
Chapter 59: Traversing the Mountain
Chapter 61: Alola's Pokemon League Begins
Chapter 62: The Second Round
Chapter 63: The Third Round
Chapter 64: Round 4 Part 1: Alex vs. Robert
Chapter 65: Round 4 Part 2: Zeno vs. Kahili
Chapter 66: Quarter Finals Part 1: Zeno vs. Alex
Chapter 67: Quarter Finals Part 2: Hau vs. Hala
Chapter 68: Semifinals Part 1: Hau vs. Ryuki
Chapter 69: Semifinals Part 2: Zeno vs. Gladion
Chapter 70: The Finale: Zeno vs. Hau
Chapter 71: An Alolan Ending
Epilogue: The One Beginning

Chapter 60: Before the Battles

168 17 31
By TheRisingFlame

I rested my head on the back of the couch inside the Pokemon Center. This center was undoubtedly one of the biggest in the region despite being so far up, but that was most likely due to it being the PMC for the Pokemon League. A hotel was being constructed within the mountain itself, but the project would take another year to finish. In the meantime, trainers competing in the tournament stayed inside the PMC, while spectators either stayed in Tapu Village, where an express elevator took them all the way up, or they camped out on the snowy mountain.

I looked around. Only a couple trainers were lounging about in the lobby and one in particular was an eyesore with that afro. I turned my gaze to the TV mounted above the main desk where Nurse Joy stood. The only thing on was about the Pokemon League, which since it was a huge deal, it made sense for it to be the only thing on.

The newsman on screen was talking to the camera, the main stadium in the background. "The day before Alola's first Pokemon League is due to start and people from around Alola are already flocking to Tapu Village. Even foreigners have already shown up, excited to see this once in a lifetime event. We also heard reports that Mr. Goodshow himself is to make an appearance..."

The doors to the PMC buzzed open and the roar of the snow outside got my attention. I looked and saw Hau, Robert, and Gladion walking through, dusting snow off.

I rose to meet them. "Took you long enough. I've been here for hours."

Hau shivered. "Would've been here sooner, but who knew the mountain would be so big and confusing."

Gladion coughed. "Hau got us lost for a bit. The girls here yet?"

I shook my head. "No, weren't they with you?"

Robert smirked. "They were, until Alex decided she had enough with Hau's "perfect sense of direction" and went off with Lillie."

"Hey," Hau said pointedly. "I found the way here."

"After taking the scenic route," Gladion said and held up a white Z-crystal. "He led us way offtrack we found an abandoned trial site. This thing was in a large cube of ice, but I guess it was worth it."

"See," Hau said. "You should be thanking me for thanking me, not griping about how long it took."

"Yeah," Alex said, walking into the center with Lillie in tow. "Not gonna happen."

She smiled when she saw me. "Sorry we're late. Would've been sooner if it wasn't for a certain imcompetent person."

She smacked Hau on the head and he groaned. "Oh come on, lay off will ya?"

He then perked up. "By the way, where do we sign up for the tournament?"

I jerked a thumb at Nurse Joy. "Better hurry. Last I checked there were only fourteen available spots."

Hau's eyes widened in alarm. "NO WAY!" 

He ran at full speed towards Nurse Joy who looked a bit overwhelmed when Hau started talking rapid fire.

Lillie sighed. "Someone better go rescue her."

"On it," Alex said, prepping her arm, before walking up to Hau, knocking him on the head, then began chatting with the nurse.

"We'd better sign up as well," Robert said and he and Gladion joined Alex.

When everything was settled, night approached, not that we could really tell due to all the snow.

Hau moaned as he stretched out on a couch. "Jeez. How are we supposed to do the tournament with all this snow?"

Robert looked up from the pamphlet he was reading. "Well, the weather is supposed to calm down by tomorrow morning, but even if it doesn't, it says here the stadiums are equipped with special dome mechanisms. They just rise up and enclose the stadium. They even have heaters."

Gladion nodded. "They're going all out for this."

"And that's why this is so awesome," Hau said, lifting his hand up in the air. "I can't wait for the battles."

He sat up. "Hey Rob, does that tell you how the battles will play out."

"Yeah," he said, flipping back a couple pages. "Right here."

We all sat forwards in our chairs and couches to listen. 

Robert cleared his throat. "It says the tournament will start out with the standard elimination rounds. 128 trainers randomly matched with someone and will participate in a one v one Pokemon battle."

Alex nodded. "Sounds about right. It's to weed out the ones who won't cut it."

"It will take the duration of the whole day," Robert said. "And the battles will take place in all five stadiums at the same time. Then the next day we move onto three v three rounds which will last for three days split into three rounds. Then we get a day of rest before the quarter finals, semifinals, and the finale start and finish within the last three days, each a full six v six battle."

I whistled. "Seven days of battling with only one day of rest. This is going to be grueling."

"Maybe," Hau said excitedly. "But it's going to be so worth it when I win."

Alex raised an eyebrow. "And who said I would let you?"

Gladion leaned forwards. "No one can beat me and Silvally."

"I beg to differ," I said confidently, holding up my Master Ball. "You know, I hope we're matched against each other sometime in the last three days. I wan't to properly beat you."

He smirked. "You can try."

"Question," Lillie said. "Where are the stadiums anyway? I didn't see them on the way up."

That stopped everyone. We all looked at Robert who was frantically flipping through pages.

"No need," said a voice and Kukui walked up. "The four smaller stadiums are set up around the side of the mountain while the main stadium is closer to the peak, farther up the trail from here."

"Really," Hau said in disbelief. "But I didn't see it."

"You wouldn't have," I said. "Not with the snowstorm going on that is."

Kukui nodded. "That's right cousin. And good thing too. I want it seen only when the time is right."

He waved us goodbye and headed for the PMC doors. "I look forward to the spectacular battles ahead."

And with that, he was gone.

I got up and stretched. "Well, it's getting late. I think we should all turn in."

"Where are we sleeping?" Hau asked.

I held up a keycard. "Us guys got a room together."

I took a second keycard and tossed it to Alex. "You and Lillie have one together as well."

She caught it and nodded. "Thanks."

Hau snatched the keycard from my hand and ran. "Last one there gets the worst bed!"

I sighed while Robert laughed. "He doesn't even know what room to look for does he?"

...

I was once more surrounded by darkness. Everything around me was hidden by inky shadows. I closed my eyes, feeling a presence. His presence.

"How are you still here?" I asked, opening my eyes to see the Shadow before me.

He chuckled, his red eyes less malicious. "A primal being such as I can never truly die. Though, we can be stopped, as you did."

He leaned back and the shadows formed to make a chair that he sat in. "I am defeated. You saw to that. Now, I may never rise again."

"Good," I said, turning my back on him. "I've had enough of you and your games."

He laughed. "Oh Zeno, one day you'll understand something."

I stopped. "And what is that?"

He chuckled again. "One day you will fall, Hero Born of Darkness."

I whirled around, enraged. "Don't call me that!"

His eyes lit up with delight. "Ah, I see you left that part of your life behind. Let me help you out Zeno, just this once, but only because you beat me."

He stood and walked until he stood over me. "Your journey is not yet over."

"I know that," I said, glaring. 

He shook his head. "No, you don't. You think you left that part of your life behind, but that's a lie. You have many more trials ahead of you and one day you'll find that one enemy you can't defeat. And when that day comes, you will come face-to-face with your true enemy."

I stumbled back. "No, don't even try this! I won't be fooled!"

He regarded me with cold, red eyes. "When all seems hopeless Zeno, we will meet again."

His form faded away into the darkness and I was left once more within the shadows.

I breathed in and out and clenched my fist. "So be it then."

"You hear me!?" I shouted. "I won't be defeated! I will conquer any challenge that awaits me! Just like what I did with you!"

I felt something curl around my leg and circle it's way up. The air around me thickened and I couldn't breathe. The shadows faded away and was replaced by a pulsing violet color. I could hear a swirling noise, like something was moving through thick liquid. I could see something moving in and out of view in the pulsing light, a dark shape, twisting and curling around me.

"Hero Born of Darkness," a raspy voice said as my body seized up. "You may have come out victorious with the Shadow, but the same can not be said for me. I look forward to when we meet on the fields of chaos."

...

I woke in a cold sweat. I looked at my hands and gripped them. 

"Why," I thought. "Why is it always me?"

Only twelve more chapters to go people. Jeez, I can't believe I made it this far. Well, time to enjoy it while it lasts. Toodles

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.5K 296 51
A boy 16 years of age comes to the region of Alola with his mother for a fresh start in life. Alola's Island Challenge will be his very first Pokémon...
190K 4.5K 51
... I can't believe it... ... I'm finally in Alola! I've been waiting for this for like... Ever! Yes, I'll miss my home in Kanto, but to be able to v...
7.9K 128 14
Y/n lives in the Alola Region with their Father Kukui, they live on the island of Melemele. Both share a large secret, Tapu-Koko residing in their ho...
1.9K 2 93
4 Months after the ending of Pasio University, the students return from Summer break and are ready to get back to University for Sophomore year. thin...