Pokémon USUM: Hero Born of Da...

By TheRisingFlame

Current Cover and Banners by @ImberLapis Zeno, a teen on the run from his past life, finds his way to Alola i... More

Disclaimer
Arc 1: Alolan Beginnings
Prologue: The Many Beginnings
Chapter 1: Alola to Alola
Chapter 2: The Starters
Chapter 3: The Trainer Battle
Chapter 4: The Mysterious Pokemon
Chapter 5: The Festival
Chapter 6: Enter Team Skull
Chapter 7: A Mysterious Encounter
Chapter 8: The First Trial
Chapter 9: Darkness of Past and Present
Chapter 10: Within the Hollow
Chapter 11: A Fighting Chance
Chapter 12: Beneath the Waves
Chapter 13: The Haunting (Improved Version)
Chapter 14: The Golden Son
Chapter 15: Battles Between Rivals
Chapter 16: A Rivaled Encounter
Chapter 17: Trial by Evolution
Chapter 18: The Prophecy
Chapter 19: The Volcano's Protector
Chapter 20: New Revelations
Chapter 21: The Trial and the Ball
Chapter 22: The Growing Shadows
Chapter 23: Dugtrio's Revenge
Chapter 24: Invasion of the Dittos
Chapter 25: A Rocky Finale
Chapter 26: The goddess Below
Chapter 27: The Dark Past of Alola
Chapter 28: Gang War in Konikoni
Chapter 29: Aether Paradise
Chapter 30: The Gym
Chapter 31: His Dark Past
Chapter 32: Call of the Darkness
Chapter 33: Shooting Stars
Author's Note, Midway Summary, and a little somethings at the end
Arc 2: The Prophecy Unfolds
Chapter 34: Beginning of a Bad Joke
Chapter 35: It's Ya Boy!
Chapter 36: Visions of the Future
Chapter 37: The Oasis
Chapter 38: The One He Loved
Chapter 39: The Ghostly Trial
Chapter 40: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 1: Kidnapped
Chapter 41: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 2: Battle of the Bosses
Chapter 42: A Test of Strength
Chapter 43: Storming Aether
Chapter 44: The Queen of Aether
Chapter 45: Feelings Shared
Chapter 46: Mahina
Chapter 47: Showdown with the Queen
Chapter 48: Returning the Light
Chapter 49: The Insanity of Cassandra
Chapter 50: Ark City
Chapter 52: Hero Born of Darkness
Chapter 53: Reign of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 54: The Hero Reborn
Chapter 55: Fall of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 56: Clash of the Deities
Chapter 57: A Period of Rest and Restoration
Arc 3: Alola's First Pokémon League
Chapter 58: The Final Grand Trial
Chapter 59: Traversing the Mountain
Chapter 60: Before the Battles
Chapter 61: Alola's Pokemon League Begins
Chapter 62: The Second Round
Chapter 63: The Third Round
Chapter 64: Round 4 Part 1: Alex vs. Robert
Chapter 65: Round 4 Part 2: Zeno vs. Kahili
Chapter 66: Quarter Finals Part 1: Zeno vs. Alex
Chapter 67: Quarter Finals Part 2: Hau vs. Hala
Chapter 68: Semifinals Part 1: Hau vs. Ryuki
Chapter 69: Semifinals Part 2: Zeno vs. Gladion
Chapter 70: The Finale: Zeno vs. Hau
Chapter 71: An Alolan Ending
Epilogue: The One Beginning

Chapter 51: The Rising Shadow

243 18 41
By TheRisingFlame

The tunnel shook as rocks and dust were dislodged from the ceiling. The tunnel was becoming narrower, so I returned Arcanine and Mahina. Now without Arcanine's occasional breath of fire to light the path, I was now running in total darkness.

I heard a roar of sound from behind me. the sound of explosions had already been smothered by the ocean's depths, so now the waves were after me. I soon recognized the roar as the sound of crashing water and I picked up speed.

I could see a light ahead of me now. When it began to cover my field of vision, I flung myself forwards, unclipping a pokeball as I did. I threw it as I tumbled onto the hard metal floor.

"Kabutops," I yelled, getting to my feet. "Bring down the tunnel with Earth Power!"

Kabutops slammed his scythes down into the rocky tunnel floor and a series of vibrations shook the tunnel until it collapsed in on itself.

With the taken care of, I turned around to see where I was. It was what looked like a warehouse the size of two football fields. Everything was made of a hard metal, no signs of comfort. I could see several forklifts, but any projects they might've been used for were put aside for the huge glass cage in the middle of everything. And inside it was the merged form of Necrozma and Lunala. Huge tubes connected into it from the high ceiling, but it didn't looked like they were being used.

It looked as if the whole of Team Radiance was there, watching what was taking place inside it. I began to walk forwards, Kabutops at my side.

As I got closer, I could see what was going on inside the cage. The Shadow was spreading his darkness into Necrozma, weakening it. no one spared me a glance as I got closer, too focused on the sight of shadows wrapping themselves around Necrozma.

"Kabutops," I said. "Get their attention with Earth Power."

Kabutops got the ground shaking, small fissures appearing, and many grunts fell. The Shadow didn't move, just continued what he was doing as Cassandra pushed grunts out of her way to face me.

"Zeno," she said, smiling. "You've finally made it."

I took a battle stance. "Where are we Cassandra?"

She held out her arms. "Team Radiance's base of operations hidden beneath Ten Carat Hill on Melemele Island. And the place the Shadow will rise to his former glory."

"You're delusional if you think I won't put a stop to you right here," I said, Kabutops waiting for orders.

Cassandra shook a pokeball in the palm of her hand. "I'd love to see you try. Don't you see Zeno, all I have to do is hold you off long enough for the Shadow to do his thing."

She opened the pokeball and her Tsareena appeared. "Now let's get this started on the right foot. Trop Kick!"

"Dodge with Aqua Jet!" I shouted, but a dark pink aura glowed around Tsareena and Kabutops flinched as water began to swirl around him.

Tsareena's kick sent Kabutops flying backwards and he struggled to get up.

"Power Whip!" Cassandra commanded in glee.

A long grass whip appeared in the Grass Pokémon's hand and she whipped it towards Kabutops.

"Ancient Power!" I yelled.

Kabutops swung his scythe up and several fossil rocks jutted through the metal floor, blocking the whip.

With him protected for a moment, I said, "Rain Dance."

Dark clouds formed above, and rain poured down on the battlefield. All the grunts were back on their feet and made a large circle around our battle. Another crack of the whip and the rocks shattered.

"Waterfall!" I yelled

Kabutops surged forwards on a wave of water, heading straight for Tsareena.

"Leaf Storm!"

The barrage of leaves cut through the water, slashing against Kabutops. He tumbled to the ground where Tsareena used Stomp to finish him off.

I returned him and tossed out Decidueye. "Spirit Shackle!"

Decidueye shot an arrow that stuck to Tsareena's shadow and she winced in pain.

"Leaf Blade!"

"Use Power Whip!" Cassandra ordered.

Decidueye didn't give Tsareena time to form a whip as he slashed at her with both wings repeatedly. Tsareena fell to one knee and Decidueye finished with an uppercut. She fell on her back, fainted.

Cassandra laughed. "Well well. Looks like you have fire in you Zeno. Let's see if we can make it rage."

She tossed out her Volcarona and it screeched as its wings scattered embers.

"U-Turn!" I commanded and Decidueye slammed into Volcarona before being pulled back into his pokeball.

But before he was pulled all the way in, I saw a rogue flame spread across his body. Knowing I'd deal with that later, I sent out Lycanroc.

"Lycanroc!" I shouted. "Use Accelerock!"

He howled and burst towards Volcarona.

"Use Hurricane!" Cassandra yelled.

Ferocious winds blasted against Lycanroc and he dug his claws into the ground.

"Rock Slide!' I shouted.

Lycanroc howled and several boulders crashed through the roaring winds and slammed into the Sun Pokémon.

"Giga Drain!" Cassandra shouted.

Green energy began to flow from Lycanroc and Volcarona absorbed it, regaining her lost health.

"Accelerock!" I yelled, thinking quick.

Lycanroc ran and slammed into Volcarona, interrupting the health transfer.

"Stone Edge!"

Sharp stones swirled around Lycanroc and he launched them at Volcarona. She screeched as she was pummeled backwards.

"Rock Tomb!" I yelled as Cassandra shouted, "Bug Buzz!"

The rocks flew through the air as waves of sound slammed into Lycanroc. The rocks crushed on top of Volcarona and she screeched as one of her wings was bent a weird angle.

"Giga Drain!" Cassandra shouted desperately.

"Accelerock!"

Lycanroc ran as his energy was sapped from him and crashed into Volcarona. Both fainted.

Cassandra and I both returned our Pokémon and grabbed our third Pokémon. Whatever we sent out could decide the course of the battle.

After ten seconds, Cassandra yelled, "Let's go, Aurorus!" as I shouted, "C'mon Mimi!"

I ignored their plain size difference and said, "Shadow Sneak! Don't let yourself get hit!"

Mimi dove into the shadows and zigzagged around Aurorus.

"Blizzard!" Cassandra ordered, and the freezing wind blasted the arena. But Mimi dove beneath Aurorus, evading the Blizzard.

"Drain Punch!" I shouted.

Mimi jumped and slammed a shadow fist into Aurorus' stomach and the fossil Pokémon roared in pain.

"Get her out from under you with Earth Power!" Cassandra commanded.

Aurorus pounded the ground, fissures spreading beneath Mimi, but also beneath Aurorus.

"Onto her back," I yelled.

Mimi climbed onto Aurorus' back just as the earth exploded beneath them. Aurorus toppled backwards as the blast hit her and Mimi jumped away.

"Thunderbolt!"

Mimi blasted the bolt of electricity at Aurorus as she went down.

"Shadow Sneak!"

"Icy Wind!"

Aurorus, struggling to get up, blew freezing wind at the shadow charging her.

"Dodge and use Drain Punch!" I shouted.

Mimi launched herself from the shadows, flying over the Icy Wind, and slammed her glowing shadow fist into the side of Aurorus' head. Aurorus went down again and stayed down.

Cassandra's eyes burned in fury as she returned Aurorus.

She tossed out her fourth Pokémon. "Golduck, use Surf!"

Golduck thrust out his hand and a wave of water cascaded towards Mimi.

"Thunderbolt!" I shouted, and Mimi cleared a path with electricity.

"Ice Punch!"

Golduck's fist turned icy white and he charged Mimi.

"Jump and use Wood Hammer!" I yelled.

As Mimi jumped behind Golduck, tail glowing, Golduck's eyes turned pink. Psychic energy burst from his head, slamming into Mimi. Golduck turned on his webbed feet and slammed is fist into her and she flew backwards.

"Aqua Jet!" Cassandra commanded.

"Thunderbolt!" I shouted as Golduck zoomed headfirst towards Mimi.

"Zen Headbutt!"

Golduck's Aqua Jet evaporated as a dome of psychic energy enveloped his head, deflecting the Thunderbolt. He slammed int Mimi and she skidded across the metal floor. She was barely holding on, so I held up her pokeball.

"Return!" I shouted before Cassandra could call for further attacks.

Cassandra laughed. "C'mon Zeno! You can do better than that! I thought you were the hero!"

I gritted my teeth as I sent out Decidueye once more. "Spirit Shackle rapid fire!"

A hail of arrows flew down upon Golduck, but he blocked it with a wave of water upon Cassandra's command.

"Double Team and Leaf Blade!" I yelled.

Dozens of Decidueyes charged Golduck, wings glowing.

"Take 'em out with Hydro Pump!" Cassandra ordered.

Golduck tilted his head back and let loose a continuous blast of high-pressured water, blowing away the copies. Decidueye slid beneath the Hydro Pump and slashed at Golduck, bringing him down.

As Decidueye slid to his feet, an ember raced up his body and he winced in pain.

"Volcarona's Flare Body," I thought. "I need to finish this quickly."

"Ice Punch!"

"Dodge and use Spirit Shackle!"

Decidueye bent backwards, Golduck's fist where his head had been, and shot an arrow into Golduck's chest. The Water type stumbled backwards, but he swung again. he caught Decidueye in the chest as the Burn made him flinch. Ice spread across his chest and Decidueye sank to one knew.

There was only one thing to do.

"Decidueye," I shouted as I thrust out my hand. "Brave Bird!"

He gave a loud cry as he stretched his wings wide, the ice shattering as a blue aura engulfed him.

Cassandra's eyes widened. "Use Zen Headbutt!"

A valiant look spread across Decidueye's face as he jumped and burst towards Golduck. The two collided and both flew back from each other. Golduck was out and Decidueye tried to stand, then collapsed.

I returned him and tossed out Arcanine. "Let's go buddy!"

Cassandra let out Malamar. "Psycho Cut!"

"Dodge with Extreme Speed!"

Arcanine zigzagged through the psychic blades.

"Foul Play!" Cassandra yelled.

"Flame Wheel from behind!" I shouted.

Arcanine rolled into a wheel of fire and circled around Malamar, slamming into his back.

"Extreme Speed!"

Before Malamar could hit the ground, Arcanine was there, slamming his full weight against the Psychic type.

As Malamar flew backwards, I yelled, "Dragon Pulse!"

The beam of draconic energy slammed into Malamar and carried him up to the high ceiling. He crashed into the metal plates and began to fall.

Cassandra returned him before he could hit the ground and sent out her last Pokémon, Florges.

I saw Necrozma collapse within his cage and I knew this needed to end. Now.

I grabbed my Firium Z, barely noticing it looked a bit different, and latched it onto my Z-ring. I began the dance, but as soon as I made the billowing motion, I reached behind me as if grabbing an arrow from a quiver. I didn't know what I was doing, I just knew it was right. I held out my left hand, fist closed on an imaginary bow as I drew back the "arrow".

Arcanine's fur began to flicker with flames as he started to run, and I yelled, "INCINERAZING ARROW!"

I let go and a raging inferno erupted around Arcanine. The flames took shape and Arcanine was in a flaming arrow.

Cassandra's eyes were wide in shock and fear as she shrieked, "Moonblast!"

The Fairy move simply burned to a crisp as Arcanine slammed into Florges, a huge explosion rocking the earth. Several grunts fell, but Cassandra and I kept our footing.

When the fire and smoke died away, Arcanine stood over the burnt form of Florges.

Cassandra looked mad with rage. "YOU INSOLENT-!"

"Stop."

Cassandra whirled around, and I could see the Shadow standing within the cage.

He set his gaze upon Cassandra. "It's time."

...

Above Ten Carat Hill

The moon shined down brightly upon the crater, its beams of light chasing away the shadows. Then the grown began to move. Over a dozen large panels flipped over, revealing huge modified solar panels. Hundreds of tiny versions gleamed all along the crater, absorbing the moon's energy. All the panels began to glow brightly, lighting up the entire crater in a brilliant white light.

...

The tubes began feeding white energy, filling the glass cage with it. I had to shield my eyes at the brilliant light and after a long minute, the light faded. Both the Shadow and Necrozma were now glowing with moonlight, the Shadow laughing evilly. He sank his body into the merged form of the two legends and moonlight wrapped around them, only to be covered by layers of darkness. The cage disintegrated as it rose into the air. Then it morphed into its Ultra Necrozma form, but its entire body was made of pure shadows and the eyes were blood red.

A booming laughter filled the area as Shadow Ultra Necrozma towered over us. "I HAVE RISEN! ALOLA WILL BE MINE!"

He looked down at Cassandra. "You have served your usefulness. Goodbye, Cassandra."

Cassandra cried, "Wait!" but Shadow Ultra Necrozma rose and crashed through the ceiling, metal and earth raining down onto us.

I returned Arcanine and let out Mahina. "PROTECT!"

Mahina roared and a dime of energy erupted around us as everything above as fell down onto us. The last thing I saw before the protection dome was covered was Cassandra getting crushed beneath a pile of earth.

...

No One's POV

Shadow Ultra Necrozma rose from the collapsing Ten Carat Hill, roaring in triumph. The skies above Alola cleared of clouds and pollution as the light of the heavens from the night sky shone down.

Humans, Pokémon, and Ultra Beasts alike turned their gaze to the massive shadow moving across Melemele, fear in everyone's hearts.

A boat could be seen, speeding across the ocean from Poni Island toward Melemele.

Climbing out of Ten Carat Hill is a lone figure, his tattered trench coat billowing behind him, his silhouette outlined by the moon.

The time has come my readers. The time has come for the Hero Born of Darkness. Until next time. Toodles

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87K 2.1K 22
Your name? (Y/N) Sycamore. The problem? You don't know this. As the 14-year-old daughter of Pokémon Professor Augustine Sycamore, himself, life was p...
20.4K 274 60
Millie, an eleven-year-old girl who lives in the Alola region, has always dreamed of being a pokemon trainer. But her mother believes pokemon are dan...
20.7K 607 17
A story about a girl who moves from Kanto to the Alola region with her mum to start a new life. Everything seems normal, she even makes new friends a...
29K 283 11
Sun is a Pokemon trainer that has just moved into the Alola region, and is ready to meet many new people and Pokemon! But, just as his adventure is a...