Pokémon USUM: Hero Born of Da...

By TheRisingFlame

Current Cover and Banners by @ImberLapis Zeno, a teen on the run from his past life, finds his way to Alola i... More

Disclaimer
Arc 1: Alolan Beginnings
Prologue: The Many Beginnings
Chapter 1: Alola to Alola
Chapter 2: The Starters
Chapter 3: The Trainer Battle
Chapter 4: The Mysterious Pokemon
Chapter 5: The Festival
Chapter 6: Enter Team Skull
Chapter 7: A Mysterious Encounter
Chapter 8: The First Trial
Chapter 9: Darkness of Past and Present
Chapter 10: Within the Hollow
Chapter 11: A Fighting Chance
Chapter 12: Beneath the Waves
Chapter 13: The Haunting (Improved Version)
Chapter 14: The Golden Son
Chapter 15: Battles Between Rivals
Chapter 16: A Rivaled Encounter
Chapter 17: Trial by Evolution
Chapter 18: The Prophecy
Chapter 19: The Volcano's Protector
Chapter 20: New Revelations
Chapter 21: The Trial and the Ball
Chapter 22: The Growing Shadows
Chapter 23: Dugtrio's Revenge
Chapter 24: Invasion of the Dittos
Chapter 25: A Rocky Finale
Chapter 26: The goddess Below
Chapter 27: The Dark Past of Alola
Chapter 28: Gang War in Konikoni
Chapter 29: Aether Paradise
Chapter 30: The Gym
Chapter 31: His Dark Past
Chapter 32: Call of the Darkness
Chapter 33: Shooting Stars
Author's Note, Midway Summary, and a little somethings at the end
Arc 2: The Prophecy Unfolds
Chapter 34: Beginning of a Bad Joke
Chapter 35: It's Ya Boy!
Chapter 36: Visions of the Future
Chapter 37: The Oasis
Chapter 38: The One He Loved
Chapter 39: The Ghostly Trial
Chapter 40: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 1: Kidnapped
Chapter 41: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 2: Battle of the Bosses
Chapter 42: A Test of Strength
Chapter 43: Storming Aether
Chapter 44: The Queen of Aether
Chapter 46: Mahina
Chapter 47: Showdown with the Queen
Chapter 48: Returning the Light
Chapter 49: The Insanity of Cassandra
Chapter 50: Ark City
Chapter 51: The Rising Shadow
Chapter 52: Hero Born of Darkness
Chapter 53: Reign of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 54: The Hero Reborn
Chapter 55: Fall of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 56: Clash of the Deities
Chapter 57: A Period of Rest and Restoration
Arc 3: Alola's First Pokémon League
Chapter 58: The Final Grand Trial
Chapter 59: Traversing the Mountain
Chapter 60: Before the Battles
Chapter 61: Alola's Pokemon League Begins
Chapter 62: The Second Round
Chapter 63: The Third Round
Chapter 64: Round 4 Part 1: Alex vs. Robert
Chapter 65: Round 4 Part 2: Zeno vs. Kahili
Chapter 66: Quarter Finals Part 1: Zeno vs. Alex
Chapter 67: Quarter Finals Part 2: Hau vs. Hala
Chapter 68: Semifinals Part 1: Hau vs. Ryuki
Chapter 69: Semifinals Part 2: Zeno vs. Gladion
Chapter 70: The Finale: Zeno vs. Hau
Chapter 71: An Alolan Ending
Epilogue: The One Beginning

Chapter 45: Feelings Shared

300 18 70
By TheRisingFlame

I stepped onto the planks of Seafolk Village, a quaint little place. From what I could see, all the houses were boats modeled after Pokémon, except for the PMC.

"A new island," Alex said, arms wide as she drank in the salty air.

Robert pumped his fists. "A new adventure."

I smiled. "A new chapter."

"And a whole lotta nope for me," Nanu said, rubbing the back of his head. "Look, I need to get back to Aether. There are a few things I need to wrap up there."

I nodded. "That's fine. We can find someone to take us the rest of the way. Thanks for the help."

Alex and Robert nodded in agreement and Nanu smiled. "Once you get the flute, look for the Kahuna of this island. She's new to the job, but she knows the ends and outs of this island. Go to her for information you may need."

"Hapu," I said, remembering the short lady and her Mudsdale. "Yeah, we met her a while back on Akala. We'll look for her. See you one day Nanu."

He nodded and after a minute, pulled the boat away from the docks and sped away.

Robert looked around. "You know what guys, I'm starving. Where can we grab some grub?"

"Well, we can't ask Rotom," I said. "I left him with Hau."

"There's such a thing as using your eyes," Alex said and pointed to a large ship modeled after a Wailord. "The Mighty Wailord."

Robert's eyes widened. "The Mighty Wailord you say? I heard about that back in Konikoni. It's a most go to if you're new to Alola. Five stars, but tourists want to give it six."

I nodded. "Then let's go. We can eat, then ask around to see who can take us to Exeggutor Island."

Alex nodded. "Agreed."

...

Alex, Robert, and I sat in a booth, Robert sitting besides me and Alex across from me. She was carefully avoiding my eyes and I couldn't say I wasn't doing the same. After a minute of awkward silence, Robert spoke.

"Make sure to save my food," he said, standing up. "I'll be in the men's room."

He left and another minute of awkward silence filled his absence.

"Alex," I finally said. "About earlier."

She struggled to hide her blush. "I'm sorry Zeno. I don't know what came over me."

She took a breath. "It's just-"

She stopped as a waiter delivered our food. A salad for Alex, a plate of cooked fish covered in bread crumbs, chopped into strips with a creamy white sauce spread over it for me, and practically everything for Robert.

Robert then joined us and breathed in deeply. "Ah, that smells so good."

Then he attacked his good with gusto.

I smiled at this and looked at Alex, but she was avoiding my gaze again and slowly eating her salad.

I speared a piece of the fish with my fork and ate it, both relishing its amazing taste and not noticing it.

"Alex tried to kiss me," I thought to myself. "How do I feel about that?"

I thought about Willow. The two months we spent together were some of the best times in my life, but also the worst knowing that Willow died in the end.

I glanced up from my food to look at Alex who was still focused on her food.

"It's been over a month since Willow died," I thought sadly. "Could I love again? Could I love... Alex?"

"Yes," a part of me said. "Yes I can."

But another part of me fought the idea, thinking of Willow.

"I can't," I thought, grimacing. "I just can't."

...

After we finished eating, we had asked the waiter how to get to Exeggutor Island. He directed us to the end of the docks where he said there was a guy with a Magikarp boat, but he wasn't sure if the guy would take us.

Now I was busy talking to that black haired man, trying to get him to give us a ride.

"No," he said.

"And why not?" I pressed.

"Because it's off limits," he responded.  "Only the Kahunas or the people they've chosen can go."

I thought about that. Nanu didn't tell us anything that we needed to say, but maybe he didn't need to. Because I was already chosen, but not by the Kahunas.

I held up my wrist, showing my black Z-ring, a gift from Tapu Koko long ago. "We need the Sun Flute. We're following the wishes of the Tapus."

Not directly true, but the guy's mouth dropped.

He sighed. "Fine then. But only two of you."

"I'll go," Alex volunteered.

Robert nodded. "You two go ahead. I'm going to see if I can find Hapu. We can meet back up at Seafolk Village's exit in a couple hours."

He walked off, but not before he winked at me discreetly.

I silently groaned. He knew.

The guy was already in his Magikarp boat. "Come on now. I don't have all night."

After Alex and I boarded, the boat chugged off towards the direction of Exeggutor Island.

...

Alex and I were silent whole thirty minute ride and when we reached the island, the guy said he'd be there until we got back.

After about a couple minutes of walking through the lush island filled with palm trees, tropical plants, and the occasional Exeggutor, it started to rain. It began to downpour and Alex pointed to a small cave in the side of the hill.

"Over there," she said, hurrying to it.

Once inside, we rested against the back wall of the cave, which was only ten feet from the entrance.

After a minute, I broke the silence. "We need to talk Alex."

She looked at me. "About... About earlier?"

I nodded.

Alex looked away. "Look, I'm sorry, but-"

I held up my hand. "No need to explain. I know why you were going to... To kiss me."

I met her gaze. "I've been struggling with my emotions for a while. Ever since..."

I hesitated, unsure of how I would talk about Willow to Alex.

I kept my voice steady. "Ever since Willow's death."

"You never really did explain who Willow was," Alex said accusingly.

"I know," I said, remembering the pain of her death. "And I owe it to you to explain."

I sighed and leaned my head back into the cave wall. "I met Willow sometime after I caught Growlithe. She saved my life in an alley in Saffron City. She helped me get back on my feet and live. I stuck with her for a month before... Before she expressed her feelings for me. For the next month after that, we were together. We were still in Saffron and we were planning on leaving when..."

I tried hard not to choke up. "She was killed. I was helpless to stop it. Giovanni, he came to me later and gave me the chance to kill the ones who killed Willow. I took it and rejoined Team Rocket. But around that time, I remembered who I was, the me Willow loved. So I ran away and ended up here."

I closed my eyes. "Willow's death was only a little over a month ago."

Tears glistened in Alex's eyes. "I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"I didn't want anyone to know," I said. "That was one part of my life I never wanted to see the light of day. But I had to face her death in a vision. I had to overcome my past, my darkness, and it all tied into her death."

I looked at Alex. "I guess what I need to say is that I like you Alex. A lot."

I placed my hand on her wet cheek. "I might even love you, but I can't yet. Not with Willow's death so fresh."

I could feel my tears now. "I'm not strong enough Alex. I don't think I can move on, not yet. Maybe one day-"

She stopped me with a kiss. The taste of her salty tears on her lips, the way she hugged me close while we kissed wasn't passionate. It was a "maybe one day" kiss, full of emotion.

Alex pulled away and held my gaze. "I understand Zeno. And I can wait. I don't know for how long nor do I care how long I will have to wait, but I will be by your side. I love you Zeno. I won't ever leave you."

I hugged her close. "Thank you. Thank you for understanding."

She wrapped her arms around me. "No problem. Just remember. I will always be here for you."

I smiled. "And me to you."

We stayed like that for some time until we heard the rain peter off. Alex leaned back from me and dried her tears. I touched my face, felt my tears, and wiped them away.

I stood and helped Alex stand. "You ready?"

Alex nodded. "Let's go. We need that flute."

We stepped out on the wet grass, the moon's light filtering down between the palm trees.

Alex closed her eyes and breathed in the night air, tasting of already fallen rain. I watched as she leaned her head back slightly, a smile appearing on her face, as her honey blonde hair shined in the moonlight.

"After traveling with her for so long," I thought. "I don't think I ever appreciated how beautiful she looks."

I looked behind us and up the hill. From what I could see there were no palm trees up there, but I could see the top of a marble arch, a symbol of the sun carved in gold on it.

I pointed towards it. "Alex. Up there."

She looked. "How are we..."

She trailed off and looked behind me, then grinned. "Nevermind. I see how."

I looked behind and saw an awfully close palm tree that definitely wasn't there a second ago. I gazed up and realized it wasn't a palm tree, but an Exeggutor.

I looked at Alex. "You want to climb the Exeggutor?"

She shrugged, smiling. "Why not?"

I looked back at the Exeggutor. "You think it'll let us?"

"Only one way to find out," Alex responded, already starting to climb the Exeggutor's tall body.

I sighed. "You're difficult, you know that right?"

She smirked from above me. "I have to keep you on your toes don't I?"

I shook my head, smiling. I climbed up after her and beat her to the top, next to Exeggutor's faces.

Alex rubbed the Grass type's left most head. "Hey Exeggutor. Do you mind dropping us on that hill?"

She pointed to the hill about ten meters away and just below us now. Exeggutor's faces grinned and he lumbered over to the hill. Then he shook us off of him.

I landed next to Alex and I groaned from the impact. "You had to say 'drop' didn't you."

Alex sat up and shook her head to dislodge pieces of grass from her hair. "I didn't actually think he'd literally drop us. Anyway, isn't it weird that the ground up here isn't wet?"

I felt the ground. Dry.

"Weird," I commented, then looked at the arch.

The symbol of the sun glowed on the top of it in gold, filling the area with warmth. A pedestal was beneath the arch and resting on it was a flute the color of the sun. Around the arch were bushes and tropical flowers, giving off the exotic feel.

I stood next to Alex. "There it is. The final piece needed."

Alex nodded. "It's so warm."

She reached out her hand, but hesitated, looking at me. "Let me take it. Please."

I was confused. "Why? It's my burden to bear, not yours."

Alex gripped my shoulders, a desperate look on her face. "Exactly. Let me take it so you won't have to shoulder everything. Let me share this burden with you Zeno. Please."

I thought about the path I was walking, my destiny, and what I must do. I had thought it would all be too much, but maybe with help, someone else to help carry this burden...

I smiled at Alex. "Take it. I trust you."

Alex smiled happily and turned back to the flute. She walked up to it and her hand hovered over it. Then her posture straightened and she grasped the flute.

She turned around, holding the Sun Flute in her right hand. "I don't know how you handle this Zeno. Holding this flute, I feel like I have the responsibility of the sun now."

I walked over and hugged her. "That's why we're going this together. We will carry this responsibility together and I'll never let the weight of it crush you."

Alex hugged me back. "I'm supposed to be the one helping you."

I smiled, my eyes closed. "We're helping each other. We're friends after all."

Alex's grip tightened on me. "Best friends?"

I nodded. "Best friends."

I took a step back and said, "We should be getting back to the boat. Robert will be wondering where we are soon."

Alex rolled her eyes. "He's probably stuffing his face if he's found Hapu by now."

I laughed. "He probably is."

As we made our way back to the boat, I could feel my spirits were lifted. I had a burden, but now it wasn't as heavy. Now I had Alex to help me shoulder it.

I grinned determinedly. "Watch out Shadow. After Lusamine, I'll be coming for you next. And this time I'll destroy you."

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Y'ALL!!! Man, I got a lot to be thankful for. God, my family, my friends, all you readers, and getting this chapter out. I hope you enjoyed this chapter full of feels. And so yeah, I think I finally put an end to the shipping war, I hope. So until next time all you special people. I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving, or if you don't celebrate it, a wonderful day. Toodles

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.6K 1.3K 25
"...a friend that accepts you for you. A friend that lifts your spirits when you're feeling blue. That friend, I now know, is you..." What destiny aw...
20.5K 296 51
A boy 16 years of age comes to the region of Alola with his mother for a fresh start in life. Alola's Island Challenge will be his very first Pokémon...
29K 283 11
Sun is a Pokemon trainer that has just moved into the Alola region, and is ready to meet many new people and Pokemon! But, just as his adventure is a...
1.9K 2 93
4 Months after the ending of Pasio University, the students return from Summer break and are ready to get back to University for Sophomore year. thin...