Pokémon USUM: Hero Born of Da...

By TheRisingFlame

Current Cover and Banners by @ImberLapis Zeno, a teen on the run from his past life, finds his way to Alola i... More

Disclaimer
Arc 1: Alolan Beginnings
Prologue: The Many Beginnings
Chapter 1: Alola to Alola
Chapter 2: The Starters
Chapter 3: The Trainer Battle
Chapter 4: The Mysterious Pokemon
Chapter 5: The Festival
Chapter 6: Enter Team Skull
Chapter 7: A Mysterious Encounter
Chapter 8: The First Trial
Chapter 9: Darkness of Past and Present
Chapter 10: Within the Hollow
Chapter 11: A Fighting Chance
Chapter 12: Beneath the Waves
Chapter 13: The Haunting (Improved Version)
Chapter 14: The Golden Son
Chapter 15: Battles Between Rivals
Chapter 16: A Rivaled Encounter
Chapter 17: Trial by Evolution
Chapter 18: The Prophecy
Chapter 19: The Volcano's Protector
Chapter 20: New Revelations
Chapter 21: The Trial and the Ball
Chapter 22: The Growing Shadows
Chapter 23: Dugtrio's Revenge
Chapter 24: Invasion of the Dittos
Chapter 25: A Rocky Finale
Chapter 26: The goddess Below
Chapter 27: The Dark Past of Alola
Chapter 28: Gang War in Konikoni
Chapter 29: Aether Paradise
Chapter 30: The Gym
Chapter 31: His Dark Past
Chapter 32: Call of the Darkness
Chapter 33: Shooting Stars
Author's Note, Midway Summary, and a little somethings at the end
Arc 2: The Prophecy Unfolds
Chapter 35: It's Ya Boy!
Chapter 36: Visions of the Future
Chapter 37: The Oasis
Chapter 38: The One He Loved
Chapter 39: The Ghostly Trial
Chapter 40: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 1: Kidnapped
Chapter 41: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 2: Battle of the Bosses
Chapter 42: A Test of Strength
Chapter 43: Storming Aether
Chapter 44: The Queen of Aether
Chapter 45: Feelings Shared
Chapter 46: Mahina
Chapter 47: Showdown with the Queen
Chapter 48: Returning the Light
Chapter 49: The Insanity of Cassandra
Chapter 50: Ark City
Chapter 51: The Rising Shadow
Chapter 52: Hero Born of Darkness
Chapter 53: Reign of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 54: The Hero Reborn
Chapter 55: Fall of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 56: Clash of the Deities
Chapter 57: A Period of Rest and Restoration
Arc 3: Alola's First Pokémon League
Chapter 58: The Final Grand Trial
Chapter 59: Traversing the Mountain
Chapter 60: Before the Battles
Chapter 61: Alola's Pokemon League Begins
Chapter 62: The Second Round
Chapter 63: The Third Round
Chapter 64: Round 4 Part 1: Alex vs. Robert
Chapter 65: Round 4 Part 2: Zeno vs. Kahili
Chapter 66: Quarter Finals Part 1: Zeno vs. Alex
Chapter 67: Quarter Finals Part 2: Hau vs. Hala
Chapter 68: Semifinals Part 1: Hau vs. Ryuki
Chapter 69: Semifinals Part 2: Zeno vs. Gladion
Chapter 70: The Finale: Zeno vs. Hau
Chapter 71: An Alolan Ending
Epilogue: The One Beginning

Chapter 34: Beginning of a Bad Joke

331 22 73
By TheRisingFlame

I got lucky. There was a PMC just another mile up Mount Hokulani, so I headed there, thinking I'd take the bus back to Malie City in the morning. When I got up as the sun rose and headed into the lobby, I knew my plans were about to change.

Gladion was standing by a couch, obviously refusing to sit in it. I sighed as I walked over, missing my trench coat already. I had decided that if I started accepting my past and who I am, I no longer needed the coat. Plus, it was ruined anyway. Instead, I wore black shoes, grey shorts, black T-shirt, and an unzipped black windbreaker. Even with no trench coat, I still wouldn't give up dark colors. They suited me.

I stood next to Gladion and leaned my head against the wall. "What brings you here?"

He shrugged. "Doing what you suggested."

I looked at him. "You're already on the Ula'Ula trials!? But you just started!"

He shook his head. "No. I just didn't want to go in order. I'll be heading to Melemele next, then back here."

He looked at me. "I heard about what happened back in Malie City."

I snorted. "Of course you did Emo Boy."

He put a hand on my shoulder, something I never expected him to do.  "Lillie told me everything. Your past, who you were, and what you did to save them. Lillie thinks-"

"She thinks I'm a monster," I said, staring straight ahead. "Doesn't she."

Gladion gave me a weird look. "Strangely enough, no actually."

I looked at him, surprised. "Come again."

He chuckled. "Oh, she was scared of you when you killed those Team Rocket grunts."

"But," he said before I could say anything. "She did say that she could tell you weren't yourself. Something about your left eye being black."

"I wasn't in complete control of myself," I said. "Some of it was me, but it was mostly the Shadow controlling me."

"The Shadow," Gladion mused. "Tell me, what, who, is the Shadow?"

I told him. I told him everything. From running from Team Rocket to first hearing myself called the Hero Born of Darkness, to everything related to the Prophecy and the Shadow.

When I finished, Gladion looked thoughtful. "Hero Born of Darkness eh? You must have your hands full."

I grunted. "No kidding. And now I know Arceus basically chose me to be the Hero."

"We can't run from destiny," Gladion said wisely. "No matter how much we want to."

I looked at him. "You know something Gladion? I met someone who looks a lot like you and Lillie the other day."

He smiled sadly. "You figured it out then?"

I smiled. "You kidding? It was so obviously Lusamine is your mother. What I don't know is why you and Lillie are avoiding her."

His expression was guarded. "A story for another day Zeno. Anyway, what are you planning to do now?"

I sighed. "I want to go back to my friends, but..."

He smiled at me. "Zeno, they don't hate nor fear you. They knew something was wrong with you and they just want to help. Though, they are a little miffed that you didn't tell them about your past."

I rolled my eyes. "I wonder why."

Gladion smirked. "Anyway, they're staying in Malie City for a couple more days to see if you'll show up. I recommend you do. Especially since Arceus himself said they were safer with you."

I laughed. "You need friends Emo Boy."

He shrugged. "Maybe I do."

He looked towards the PMC's doors leading out to the parking lot. "I suggest you do the Electric Trial before heading down the mountain."

"It's up here on Hokulani!?"

Gladion nodded. "Yeah. Haven't attempted it myself yet though. I was busy waiting for you."

I looked at him. "Are you going to do the trial with me?"

He shrugged. "Might as well. I got nothing better to do."

"Let's get going then," I said, heading for the doors, but Gladion stopped me.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," he said, pointing to a news van parked outside. "They've been there all morning, waiting for you to show up."

I turned towards the back of the PMC. "The back door it is then."

...

Luckily, Gladion and I made it into the Hokulani Observatory without being spotted by reporters. Once inside, we got information to go down the hall till we found the trial door. Before we did that, we picked each picked up a Steelium Z which people could just grab.

When we were in the trial room, we met a kid named Sophocles. He was a quiet kid and talked in a small voice. After receiving instructions on how to summon the Totem, Gladion and I got to work. The results were most unexpected.

"Two Totems," I said, grabbing Lycanroc's pokeball. "This should be interesting."

Gladion let out a Crobat. "Interesting indeed."

I looked at his Crobat while letting out Lycanroc. "A Flying type in an Electric Trial. Did you fry your brain doing those puzzles?"

He grinned slyly. "You'll see."

I shrugged and looked at the Vikavolt Totem. "Lycanroc, use Rock Slide!"

"Crobat," Gladion said. "Flamethrower on Togedemaru!"

I looked at him in surprise, then realized what he did.

"You sly fox," I thought. "Or foxes."

Vikavolt flew sideways, avoiding the rocks while Togedemaru jumped over the jet of flames. Togedemaru then shot an electric blast into the air and it crashed down on Crobat. Crobat winced and his body shimmered into a Zoroark.

"Figures," I said. "Lycanroc, Brick Break on Togedemaru."

Lycanroc jumped at Togedemaru, but the Totem flung up an energy field with spikes. Lycanroc was flung back, damaged by the Spike Shield. Zoroark fired Flamethrower after Flamethrower and eventually, Vikavolt was hit. Unfortunately, he wasn't burned.

"I got an idea," I said to Gladion. "But I'll need to give Zoroark a command."

"Her," Gladion corrected. "Will it be risky?"

Both Lycanroc and Zoroark dodged a Thunderbolt. "Oh, definitely, but I'm hoping it'll work."

Gladion rolled his eyes. "Dodge and use Night Daze! Go ahead Zeno, but if you mess up..."

I grinned. "Alright then. Zoroark, transform into Lycanroc!"

Zoroark shimmered into a Lycanroc and now both Pokémon looked the same.

"Now run around the Totems," I ordered. "Get them confused."

Both Lycanrocs zoomed around both Totems and even I didn't know the real one from the illusion.

"Now," I said. "One of you get behind them."

A Lycanroc stood behind the Totems. The Totems glanced around in confusion, but I knew they would attack soon."

"What are you planning?" Gladion asked.

"Shut up and prepare for Inferno Overdrive," I said, twisting my Firium Z on my Z-ring and Gladion followed suit. "Lycanroc knows Fire Fang and Zoroark knows Flamethrower. We'll get em both."

As we did the dance, Gladion looked at me. "Was Zoroark transforming into Lycanroc really necessary?"

"Honestly," I said, finishing the dance. "No, I just thought it'd be cooler."

Then we both yelled, "INFERNO OVERDRIVE!"

...

Gladion and I walked out of Hokulani Observatory with Electrium Zs and smiles on our faces, or at least on mine.

I glanced at the sun. "It's almost midday. I should be heading down the mountain soon."

Gladion nodded. "From what Lillie told me, they were going to Malie Garden at midnight for the Johto Festival. The Festival will be here for a couple nights before it's moved to Sinnoh."

I smiled, but then I saw something. A rift split open the sky above Hokulani Observatory. It formed into an Ultra Wormhole and it began pulsing.

"Oh that ain't good," I said, taking a step back. "Not good at all."

Gladion followed my gaze and unclipped his Premier Ball. "No! How is this happening!?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

He was about to say something, but was interrupted by a tall, lanky creature made up of wires dropping down on the roof of the Observatory with a thunderous BOOM!

Gladion grimaced. "Xurkitree, codename UB-03 Lightning. She's finally done it."

"Who's done what!?" I shouted as Xurkitree began firing lightning into the sky.

"Lusamine," Gladion yelled, letting out Silvally. "She's finally able to bring Ultra Beasts into our world!"

Silvally roared at UB-03 Lightning as Gladion inserted the Ground Drive. Xurkitree noticed us and it sparked with electricity.

Gladion's eyes widened and he tackled me to the side. "GET DOWN!"

Xurkitree fired huge beams of electricity at Silvally and an explosion erupted upon impact. When it cleared up, Silvally stood perfectly fine.

"Nice," I commented. "But besides being a Ground type with immunity to electricity, how is Silvally going to be able to take that thing down!?"

Gladion smirked, which could either be very good or very bad. "Silvally was made exactly for this purpose. To take down Ultra Beasts if they went out of control."

By this time, people were running out of the PMC and Observatory to see what was going on. They screamed when they saw the Ultra Beast and began to run down the mountain. Two more rifts appeared and two more Xurkitree popped out. Chaos broke loose and I remembered being hit by a bolt of lighting.

I found myself by the PMC, my clothes smoking. I noticed between the slits of my eyes that Silvally fended off the Ultra Beasts alone. Gladion was on the ground as well, Silvally trying to protect him.

As I struggled to my feet, I noticed something emerge from the ground. It was the Shadow. Silvally noticed him and lunged, but the Shadow raised his hand. A bolt of darkness hit Silvally and he fell next to his trainer.

The Shadow walked up to the biggest Xurkitree and absorbed the lightning shot at him. He walked straight into the Ultra Beast and it collapsed. Shadows wrapped themselves around it as it began to stand, growing larger. It stood, double in height, and seemingly made up of shadows.

It looked at me as I stood and it spoke in the Shadow's voice. "I have found other means of rising Hero Born of Darkness and I can not let you live. You will die here."

The other two Ultra Beasts grew and were enveloped in darkness. They came up to me and wrapped their wires around my body. I was lifted up to face the lead Xurkitree controlled by the Shadow.

"Goodbye Zeno," the Shadow boomed as shadowy tendrils wrapped themselves around my head and everything began to fade away.

Suddenly, I heard an explosion and I began to fall. A Florges caught me in psychic energy and lowered me to the ground next to Gladion and Silvally.

I looked around and my eyes widened. "Team Radiance!"

Cassandra led dozens of grunts forwards, all holding rifles of sorts. They fired beams of golden energy at the Shadow Xurkitrees and the darkness began to drain away.

"NOOOOOOOOOO!" The Shadow roared as he was flung from the Xurkitree.

He stood near the Observatory, which was in smoking ruins, his red eyes glaring. "You-"

He cut off, clutching his throat as his form simmered. "I can't contain physical form for long. Need... To..."

"Go?" Prompted Cassandra, pointing her energy rifle at him. "Yeah, I think you need to."

She cocked the rifle. "Hasta la vista Shadow."

She pressed the trigger and a beam of light struck the Shadow square in the chest. He didn't have time to scream as his body disintegrated. Cassandra smiled and walked up to me.

She offered me her hand, and after a moment's hesitation, I accepted it.

Once she pulled me up, I asked, "How do you know about the Shadow?"

She cocked her rifle again. "No time for that now Zeno. We have some Ultra Beasts to take care of."

Gladion stood up next to me as Cassandra rushed off to help her grunts hold off the Xurkitrees. "Ultra Beasts, the Shadow, and Team Radiance. Sounds like the beginning of a bad joke."

"Agreed," said a calculating voice behind us.

We both turned around to see Kamake in a Radiance jumpsuit.

Gladion gasped as Silvally snarled. "You're with Team Radiance!? But you're-"

"Part of Aether Foundation," Kamake finished. "I am a double agent as you would say. Which is why Cassandra knows a bit about Ultra Beasts. I do have to tell her some stuff about Lusamine."

"But how does she know about the Shadow?" I challenged.

Kamake shrugged. "Better leave it to Cassandra herself to explain that to you two."

"KAMAKE!"

Upon hearing Cassandra call for her, Kamake whipped out a tablet of sorts. "That's my cue."

She walked briskly towards her boss, all the while tapping away at her device. A portal opened up behind the Xurkitrees and Cassandra motioned her grunts forwards.

"Drive them back!" She ordered. "Send them back to their own world!"

They let loose a barrage of energy blasts and the Xurkitrees were forced to flee into the portal. Kamake typed another command and all the rifts closed.

Gladion narrowed his eyes. "How do we know we can trust her?"

"We don't," I said. "She's a double agent, but for which side?"

Cassandra slung her rifle on her back as she walked up to us.

"Well," she said to me. "I assume you wish to know how I know about the Shadow?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I do actually."

She smiled. "The knowledge of the Shadow has been passed down in my family for generations. Part of Team Radiance's mission was to await his return. Now it's our job to destroy him."

I nodded at her rifle. "That didn't do it?"

She laughed. "I wish. No, this only hindered him for the time being. But he's getting stronger. Able to project himself to our reality for longer periods of time. Soon, he'll be able to fully rise and attempt to destroy Alola."

She made a fist with her right hand. "But I'll be waiting, waiting to kill him myself. It is my destiny."

I looked at Gladion and he looked at me. We both knew she was nuts.

"Anyway," she said, wiping her hands together. "I just get going. I have a Shadow to kill and a region to save. Farewell Zeno, for now."

Gladion and I watched as Team Radiance headed down the mountain and out of sight. At the moment, Gladion, Silvally, and I were the only ones on top of Mount Hokulani. Everyone else had ran for their lives and to be honest, I didn't blame them. Both the Observatory and the PMC had been demolished.

I looked towards Malie City and sighed. "After everything I've experienced in my life, I don't think I'm ready to face my friends."

Gladion rolled his eyes as he returned Silvally. "If it's any consolation, it'll be just as awkward for you at it is for them."

In the distance, I could see people preparing for the Johto Festival in Malie Garden. "Are you coming?"

He grimaced. "I wanted to go straight to Melemele, but Lillie insisted it would be great bonding time with her and her friends."

I laughed. "Great! That means you can suffer right along with me Emo Boy! I feel much better now!"

He scowled. "Yours will be way more awkward Stalker Kid."

I laughed again. "You see? I knew you'd get a, well, somewhat better nickname for me."

I then looked at my charred clothes. "I think we'll have to stop at a clothes store. These are ruined."

We began our descent down the mountain, talking and laughing. Though, I was doing all the laughing, but Gladion cracked a smile a couple times. That's called progress.

...

Unknown Location

In a dark room, the Shadow waited. Usually the person he was met here was here first, but this time he was a bit early. He rolled his shoulders, still aching from that energy blast, but it was a small price to pay to fool Zeno.

The door opened and someone walked in. "Do you think it worked?"

The Shadow nodded. "Indeed. Zeno will have no idea about our partnership until it's too late."

"Good," Cassandra said, her red hair barely visible in the darkness. "Now we can proceed with our plan without Zeno every suspecting is. I will help you rise Shadow and together, we can remake Alola into a perfect place. Then the world."

PLOT TWIST!  I bet no one expected that. A partnership between Cassandra and the Shadow. It's going to change everything. Anyway, a huge shout-out to FinalWishes for reading and loving my story as well as commenting and voting for it. It's always nice to see a new face. Besides that, next chapter will have a familiar face or two in it. I won't tell you who, but you'll love it guaranteed. And that's all. Toodles

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.1K 2.1K 22
Your name? (Y/N) Sycamore. The problem? You don't know this. As the 14-year-old daughter of Pokémon Professor Augustine Sycamore, himself, life was p...
5.6K 369 23
All Shin Harper had ever wanted was a Pokémon by his side. As an only child living with his mother in the empty outskirts of the Alola region, isola...
8K 128 14
Y/n lives in the Alola Region with their Father Kukui, they live on the island of Melemele. Both share a large secret, Tapu-Koko residing in their ho...
5.1K 455 67
IMPORTANT: THIS IS THE 3RD BOOK OF THE HBOD SERIES. DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE FIRST READ HERO BORN OF DARKNESS THEN LIFE, DEATH, ORDER, AND CHAOS!!! ...