Pokémon USUM: Hero Born of Da...

By TheRisingFlame

Current Cover and Banners by @ImberLapis Zeno, a teen on the run from his past life, finds his way to Alola i... More

Disclaimer
Arc 1: Alolan Beginnings
Prologue: The Many Beginnings
Chapter 1: Alola to Alola
Chapter 2: The Starters
Chapter 3: The Trainer Battle
Chapter 4: The Mysterious Pokemon
Chapter 5: The Festival
Chapter 6: Enter Team Skull
Chapter 7: A Mysterious Encounter
Chapter 8: The First Trial
Chapter 9: Darkness of Past and Present
Chapter 10: Within the Hollow
Chapter 11: A Fighting Chance
Chapter 12: Beneath the Waves
Chapter 13: The Haunting (Improved Version)
Chapter 14: The Golden Son
Chapter 15: Battles Between Rivals
Chapter 16: A Rivaled Encounter
Chapter 17: Trial by Evolution
Chapter 18: The Prophecy
Chapter 19: The Volcano's Protector
Chapter 20: New Revelations
Chapter 21: The Trial and the Ball
Chapter 22: The Growing Shadows
Chapter 23: Dugtrio's Revenge
Chapter 24: Invasion of the Dittos
Chapter 25: A Rocky Finale
Chapter 26: The goddess Below
Chapter 27: The Dark Past of Alola
Chapter 28: Gang War in Konikoni
Chapter 29: Aether Paradise
Chapter 30: The Gym
Chapter 31: His Dark Past
Chapter 32: Call of the Darkness
Author's Note, Midway Summary, and a little somethings at the end
Arc 2: The Prophecy Unfolds
Chapter 34: Beginning of a Bad Joke
Chapter 35: It's Ya Boy!
Chapter 36: Visions of the Future
Chapter 37: The Oasis
Chapter 38: The One He Loved
Chapter 39: The Ghostly Trial
Chapter 40: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 1: Kidnapped
Chapter 41: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 2: Battle of the Bosses
Chapter 42: A Test of Strength
Chapter 43: Storming Aether
Chapter 44: The Queen of Aether
Chapter 45: Feelings Shared
Chapter 46: Mahina
Chapter 47: Showdown with the Queen
Chapter 48: Returning the Light
Chapter 49: The Insanity of Cassandra
Chapter 50: Ark City
Chapter 51: The Rising Shadow
Chapter 52: Hero Born of Darkness
Chapter 53: Reign of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 54: The Hero Reborn
Chapter 55: Fall of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 56: Clash of the Deities
Chapter 57: A Period of Rest and Restoration
Arc 3: Alola's First Pokémon League
Chapter 58: The Final Grand Trial
Chapter 59: Traversing the Mountain
Chapter 60: Before the Battles
Chapter 61: Alola's Pokemon League Begins
Chapter 62: The Second Round
Chapter 63: The Third Round
Chapter 64: Round 4 Part 1: Alex vs. Robert
Chapter 65: Round 4 Part 2: Zeno vs. Kahili
Chapter 66: Quarter Finals Part 1: Zeno vs. Alex
Chapter 67: Quarter Finals Part 2: Hau vs. Hala
Chapter 68: Semifinals Part 1: Hau vs. Ryuki
Chapter 69: Semifinals Part 2: Zeno vs. Gladion
Chapter 70: The Finale: Zeno vs. Hau
Chapter 71: An Alolan Ending
Epilogue: The One Beginning

Chapter 33: Shooting Stars

314 20 45
By TheRisingFlame

I stumbled forwards, unable to see out of my left eye. I found a river and sank to my knees as I stared at my reflection. My right eye was brown, but my left... My left eye was covered in shadows.

"No," I muttered. "Nonononono."

I stared at the rising Moon above. "What has happened to me!?"

My head erupted into pain, like something was trying to break out of it.

"NO!"

My mouth spoke the word, but not in my tone of voice.

"I WILL BE FREE!"

"NO!" I shouted in my own voice. "I WON'T LET YOU!"

"You don't have a choice Zeno."

I turned to see the Shadow standing there, but his form flickered, like he was using a lot of energy just to speak to me face-to-face.

I tried to punch him, but my fist went right through him. "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"

He laughed. "You made the deal Zeno. Your mind will soon be mine to control."

He disappeared, leaving me alone in the forest. I looked at my pokeballs. I could use the company, but I couldn't trust myself around them. Not in the state I was currently in.

I felt my head. The Shadow would break free, no doubt about that.

I looked at the river. "What if I drowned myself in there?"

I shook away the thought. "The Shadow could probably revive my body. Even if I shot myself, he'd probably be able to heal that."

I looked to my left, towards Mount Hokulani. It was the only option I had left. To make sure the Shadow never got free, to make sure my friends stayed safe, I had to put my body into a state beyond to where it could possibly be fixed. If I jumped from a high point on Hokulani, my body would be all over the place, with the Shadow trapped inside of it, hopefully.

It was the best I could think of as I ran towards the mountain. I didn't try and talk myself out of this. I knew it was the only way to protect my friends and Alola from the Shadow.

By the time I reached Route 10, it was almost midday. Near Malie City in the distance, I saw an old woman playing with her Stuffuls. Ahead of me, I could see a road going up Mount Hokulani.

As I walked towards it, I kept my head low. I didn't want to risk my eyes being seen. I barely noticed the two Skull boys by a bus, arguing with the driver as I started my ascent up the mountain.

I did not know how long I walked for. All I remembered was trying to take one step at a time. My body didn't feel right. I started to feel like I was shrinking, but I wasn't, at least not physically.

"The Shadow," I thought. "He's trying to erase me from my own body! He's trying to take control of it before I can jump."

I continued onwards, up the mountain. My strength was failing me and I could barely move, so I know I wouldn't be able to make it all the way up. Where I was would have to do.

I stumbled towards a small open area. It ended by going over the side of the mountain. Before I could get to the edge to jump, I collapsed, my body failing me. I lay facedown as everything turned black and I slipped into a dream.

...

I was walking down a black corridor. My footfalls made no sound, like I wasn't even there. I could hear a muffled voice up ahead, but it sounded distorted.

As I walked, it got louder and louder. Soon, I was by a black door. I pushed it open and saw Alex. She was facing away from me, talking to nothing.

"Zeno was my best friend," she said in a distorted voice. "A kind person who would do anything for the ones he loved."

She turned to face me, her eyes completely black. "But a monster like him could never be kind, could never love, and could never be a friend."

I stumbled away from the door, shaking my head. "No. No. No. This isn't real. This isn't real."

"He was my first friend."

I turned to see Hau, facing away from me and staring off into the distance. I walked up to him and looked at his face.

"I never had a friend," he said. "I left Iki Town to get my starter Pokémon because I was hoping to make a friend. Then I met Zeno and I knew I couldn't waste that chance."

I watched as his eyes turned black. "He was never my friend. I realize that now. He was just a monster."

I turned away, fighting back tears. Next, I saw Robert staring angrily at the darkness, his eyes a cold black.

"I convinced my parents to let me go to Alola to begin my journey," he said, his fists clenched tightly. "I would never have done that if I knew I would be traveling with a murderer. A monster."

His body faded away and it was replaced with Lillie. She was on the ground, her bag gone, and she appeared to be hurt.

I crouched down next to her. "Lillie! Are you okay?"

When I touched her arm, her face shot up, her black eyes wide with fear. "NO! STAY AWAY FROM ME YOU MONSTER!"

I crawled backwards, tears sliding down my face. I fell next to a pool of clear water and when I looked at myself, all I saw was the Shadow staring back up at me.

I clutched my shadowy head. "NOOOOOOOOOO!"

...

I awoke where I had fallen, almost all my strength gone. There was no hope. My friends hated me and the Shadow had almost taken over my mind. I couldn't even move towards the edge a couple feet away.

I reached out my hand. "Alex. Hau. Lillie. Robert."

My hand collapsed into the dirt. "I'm sorry."

I lay there, feeling myself being drained, dying, as the Shadow began to engulf my mind. My eyes closed and I gave into the darkness.

...

Nanu was walking back to the police station when he saw streaks of light in the night sky.

"Shooting stars," he murmured.

He was about to move on when he noticed they were heading straight for

"Mount Hokulani," Nanu gasped as the shooting stars struck the mountain.

But there was no explosion, no falling debris. The orbs of light just hovered in a circle above a single spot on the mountain.

Nanu doesn't waste time gawking. He ran towards Route 10, hoping to catch the next bus up.

...

Warmth filled my body and mind as my eyes shot open. I stumbled to my feet, rubbing my eyes. I was still on Mount Hokulani, but I wasn't alone. A dozen starlike creatures hovered around me, completely white. They glowed and pulsed, their light warming my entire being. I felt my strength return and my mind became my own once more.

"What," I started. "What are you things?"

They didn't answer. Instead, the sky above rippled at streaks of white light filled the heavens. A beam of light shone down upon me and I heard a majestic voice speak.

"Zeno," it said. "The Hero Born of Darkness. It is time."

The light poured over my body and filled my eyes with light. When I could see again, I was surrounded by white light.

"Who are you?" I called out into the vastness of white.

"I am your Creator," it spoke. "I am destiny itself."

"Arceus," I whispered.

A human figure made entirely of light formed in front of me. "Yes Zeno. I am Arceus. Or at least, part of his subconscious. The human part I believe."

I looked at the body of white light. "Yeah, I think it is."

He waved his hand dismissally. "Anyway, I heard you made a deal with the Shadow. Not a wise decision."

I looked away. "I was tricked."

Arceus shrugged. "All those who've made deals with him claim that. Were you really tricked Zeno, or were you too focused on having the perfect life? One where your loved ones loved you back and you weren't the Hero Born of Darkness?"

"Let me guess," I said, glaring at him. "You can promise me that?"

He shook his head. "No. I'm sorry, but what you want is not possible."

"Why!?" I shouted. "Why can't I just live a normal life!?"

"Because you are not normal," he said simply. "You were chosen long ago. Your destiny was carved into the stars when they were born. You are destined to be the Hero Born of Darkness."

"I'M NO HERO!" I yelled angrily.

He put his hand on my shoulder and I instantly calmed down. "You are a hero Zeno. Look at what you were doing. You were willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to trap the Shadow and save Alola along with your friends."

"Why didn't you let me?" I asked.

I imagined him smiling. "It never would have worked Zeno. You would have died and the Shadow would find another way to rise. And he's doing so now."

I looked at him. "Didn't you destroy him when you drove him out of my mind?"

He laughed. "No Zeno. With all my power, I could, but the laws of space and time forbid it. Only one can stop him."

I already knew the answer before he said it. "You, Zeno. The Hero Born of Darkness."

"Your past is filled with so much darkness," he said. "But that is what makes you stronger. You have strived to become a better person and yet you have ignored the destiny that would help you become that."

"I'm not strong enough," I said miserably. "My past is stronger than me."

"That is why you must first conquer your past," Arceus said. "You must accept who you were before you can truly move on. Once your past is conquered is when you can defeat the Shadow."

He rested both hands on my shoulders. "I can't promise you your friends will survive the coming wave of darkness Zeno, but I can promise you this. They have the best chance of survival at your side. No deal with the Shadow can save your friends."

"They hate me," I said, holding back tears. "They fear me."

Arceus shook his head as he began to fade away. "Love and friendship are powerful things Zeno. Do not underestimate them."

He disappeared along with the light. I was left, surrounded by darkness. I turned around to see the orb of light with the black crystal inside.

I held up my hands and felt the invisible source blocking me from it.

"My destiny," I murmured.

I imagined the Shadow being here, offering me a deal. Would I take it now that I knew the truth?

"No," I decided. "I wouldn't."

The only way to save my friends and Alola was to accept my destiny. I had to become the Hero Born of Darkness.

"Would I do it for them?" I wondered as I stared at the orb. "Would I choose to give up my hopes and dreams to save them and Alola?"

I clenched my fists. "I would."

I punched the invisible force and a visible crack formed in the darkness. I punched it again and the cracks spread. My third punch broke through and I reached out my right hand towards the orb. I grasped the crystal inside and light began to form around me.

I felt my entire being glow with energy as I stared up. "I accept my destiny! I accept my role as the Hero Born of Darkness and Savior of Alola!"

...

I opened my eyes. I stood with the starlike beings still circling me and the beam of light was still on me. Then both the star creatures and light began to fade.

"Go Hero Born of Darkness," Arceus spoke one more time, his voice carrying over the mountainside. "And save Alola from the coming darkness!"

The light disappeared and I was left standing on the edge of the cliff. I backed up and turned around to see a crowd of people on the road, staring at me. They parted as I walked through them, their expressions in awe. When I got out of the crowd, I found myself face-to-face with Nanu.

He shook his head at me. "I would arrest you here and now boy, but even I wouldn't go against the Tapus and Arceus himself."

I nodded and began to walk away, but Nanu put a hand on my shoulder. "What makes you so special Zeno?"

I turned my head to look back at him with both of my brown eyes. "My past."

And boom! Another chapter is up. This would've been up yesterday, but I was busy at the beach. Anyway, I included Arceus in this, but don't worry. He won't be a major part in the story. Too many stories with him in it are terrible (my opinion) which is why I was hesitant to include him, but I knew it was necessary. Besides that, till next time fellow Pokémon fans. Toodles

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 114 14
Y/n lives in the Alola Region with their Father Kukui, they live on the island of Melemele. Both share a large secret, Tapu-Koko residing in their ho...
56.6K 1.3K 25
"...a friend that accepts you for you. A friend that lifts your spirits when you're feeling blue. That friend, I now know, is you..." What destiny aw...
5.6K 369 23
All Shin Harper had ever wanted was a Pokémon by his side. As an only child living with his mother in the empty outskirts of the Alola region, isola...
13.5K 245 27
Rescued by an island guardian, taken in by the baddest group in Alola, and no recollection of her life as a young child---that describes Chloe perfec...