Pokémon USUM: Hero Born of Da...

By TheRisingFlame

Current Cover and Banners by @ImberLapis Zeno, a teen on the run from his past life, finds his way to Alola i... More

Disclaimer
Arc 1: Alolan Beginnings
Prologue: The Many Beginnings
Chapter 1: Alola to Alola
Chapter 2: The Starters
Chapter 3: The Trainer Battle
Chapter 4: The Mysterious Pokemon
Chapter 5: The Festival
Chapter 6: Enter Team Skull
Chapter 7: A Mysterious Encounter
Chapter 8: The First Trial
Chapter 10: Within the Hollow
Chapter 11: A Fighting Chance
Chapter 12: Beneath the Waves
Chapter 13: The Haunting (Improved Version)
Chapter 14: The Golden Son
Chapter 15: Battles Between Rivals
Chapter 16: A Rivaled Encounter
Chapter 17: Trial by Evolution
Chapter 18: The Prophecy
Chapter 19: The Volcano's Protector
Chapter 20: New Revelations
Chapter 21: The Trial and the Ball
Chapter 22: The Growing Shadows
Chapter 23: Dugtrio's Revenge
Chapter 24: Invasion of the Dittos
Chapter 25: A Rocky Finale
Chapter 26: The goddess Below
Chapter 27: The Dark Past of Alola
Chapter 28: Gang War in Konikoni
Chapter 29: Aether Paradise
Chapter 30: The Gym
Chapter 31: His Dark Past
Chapter 32: Call of the Darkness
Chapter 33: Shooting Stars
Author's Note, Midway Summary, and a little somethings at the end
Arc 2: The Prophecy Unfolds
Chapter 34: Beginning of a Bad Joke
Chapter 35: It's Ya Boy!
Chapter 36: Visions of the Future
Chapter 37: The Oasis
Chapter 38: The One He Loved
Chapter 39: The Ghostly Trial
Chapter 40: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 1: Kidnapped
Chapter 41: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 2: Battle of the Bosses
Chapter 42: A Test of Strength
Chapter 43: Storming Aether
Chapter 44: The Queen of Aether
Chapter 45: Feelings Shared
Chapter 46: Mahina
Chapter 47: Showdown with the Queen
Chapter 48: Returning the Light
Chapter 49: The Insanity of Cassandra
Chapter 50: Ark City
Chapter 51: The Rising Shadow
Chapter 52: Hero Born of Darkness
Chapter 53: Reign of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 54: The Hero Reborn
Chapter 55: Fall of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 56: Clash of the Deities
Chapter 57: A Period of Rest and Restoration
Arc 3: Alola's First Pokémon League
Chapter 58: The Final Grand Trial
Chapter 59: Traversing the Mountain
Chapter 60: Before the Battles
Chapter 61: Alola's Pokemon League Begins
Chapter 62: The Second Round
Chapter 63: The Third Round
Chapter 64: Round 4 Part 1: Alex vs. Robert
Chapter 65: Round 4 Part 2: Zeno vs. Kahili
Chapter 66: Quarter Finals Part 1: Zeno vs. Alex
Chapter 67: Quarter Finals Part 2: Hau vs. Hala
Chapter 68: Semifinals Part 1: Hau vs. Ryuki
Chapter 69: Semifinals Part 2: Zeno vs. Gladion
Chapter 70: The Finale: Zeno vs. Hau
Chapter 71: An Alolan Ending
Epilogue: The One Beginning

Chapter 9: Darkness of Past and Present

556 29 30
By TheRisingFlame

Air flew up past me as I fell. I landed hard and sprained my ankle. I cried at the pain, but no one was coming. I was alone.

...

I shook my head to clear the memory of my 9-year old self as I fell. Suddenly, I landed in cold water with a splash.

I shivered and the cold kept me going. I saw Grunt B a couple feet away from me, unconsience. I grabbed him and swam forward to where I saw dry land. I hauled Grunt B onto the stone surface and climbed out of the water.

Grunt B awoke and began coughing up water. I looked around to see we were in a dark, barely lit cavern. The only light came from above from Verdant Cavern.

I looked to my left and saw the other grunt in the darkness with Nebby circling him.

Upon seeing me, Nebby cried, "PEW!" And floated towards me.

I rubbed her squishy head and turned to Grunt B who had stopped coughing up water. "Are you okay?"

"Ye-*cough-yeah." He said, coughing.

The other grunt walked up to us. "Where are we homie?"

I glared at him. "I ain't your homie."

He backed up. "Sorry hom- yo."

I looked around again, noticing Nebby gave off some light. Besides that and the faint light from Verdant Cavern, we were in the dark.

...

I limped across a stone tunnel. I couldn't see and I could hear sounds from up ahead. I could only hope it was friendly.

Suddenly a huge roar filled the tunnel. I tried to run back the way I came, but I banged my hurt ankle against the stone wall next to me.

I collapsed, howling in pain, hoping that whatever was coming would kill me as painless as possible.

...

I had taken off my backpack and had begun rifling through the stuff Alex had got me, Hau, and Robert at the mall. I pulled out a flashlight and flicked it on. The light illuminated the darkness and I settled the beam on a dark opening 30 feet away.

I motioned for the grunts to follow me as Nebby and I went over to the opening in the wall. "Hey Skull Boys. C'mon. I'm getting us out of here."

They followed, but one of them complained behind me. "Who put you in charge yo?"

I turned to face them. "Because I can keep my cool in situations like this."

Grunt A shook his head at me. "We're cool yo. No boo gonna scare ya homies."

I shut off the flashlight. "Boo."

They both screamed like little girls.

"I rest my case." I said turning the light back on and set off down the tunnel opening. "Oh, and your rhyming sucks."

They followed me, grumbling, and Nebby floated along happily next to me. After about two hours of wandering, I heard a trickle of water.

I broke into a run. "C'mon!"

We ran for another minute, then emerged in another cavern. However, instead of a mini lake like in the other cavern, there was a slow moving river that flowed down another tunnel.

"This is beautiful." I said in awe.

"There's something in the river." Grunt B said nervously

I sighed and and went to the river's edge and saw several fish Pokemon. Their bodies appeared to be made of rock.

"Relicanth." I breathed.

"What's a Relicanth?" Grunt A asked while Nebby curiously studied the water.

"It's a Water/Rock type that has said to be one of the oldest living species of Pokemon that exists. Finding them here is an incredibly rare find. People are saying they're going extinct."

The grunts looked at the swimming Relicanths. "We could make good money off on them!"

I gave them a hard glare. "No! If you two even think about using them for other purposes than good, I will leave both of you down here to rot."

They held up their hands. "We're good bro."

I nodded and stared at the water illuminated only by the flashlight and Nebby, who was dabbing at the water, making ripples. The ripples from the Relicanths and Nebby sent my thoughts back to the past.

...

I had closed my eyes and felt something lift me up. It carried me off somewhere, but I kept my eyes firmly shut. After what felt like an eternity, I was set down. I opened my eyes and saw an Ursaring towering over me.

It grunted and lumbered off to the corner of the stone room I appeared to be in. Ursaring came back with a hollowed stone with water in it. The Hibernator Pokemon set it down next to me on the stone floor. I looked at the water cautiously, but gulped it down.

I tried to stand, but my sprained ankle prevented the action. I groaned in pain and settled for just sitting. I looked at Ursaring who had laid down facing away from me.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"No Zeno," a voice said behind me. "Thank you."

I turned to see my coach standing there. He grinned and Ursaring roared. Two Houndooms appeared out of the shadows and fired twin Flamethrowers at Ursaring.

I tried to stand. "Stop it!"

A cloth was pressed to my face and I began to feel faint. As darkness overwhelmed me, the last thing I heard was Ursaring roaring in pain and my coach laughing.

...

A Relicanth rippled the water and my thoughts cleared. I stood and waded into the water.

"What are you doin yo?" Grunt A asked.

"Going upriver," I answered hearing very faint noises up ahead where the water disappeared. "I think I hear Wingulls."

Nebby floated above the water next to my head and followed me. Having no other light source, the grunts followed me as well.

After several minutes, the water began to warm.

I smiled, the Wingull noises louder. "Not far now."

We hurried along and ended up in a small cavern that led to a cave exit.

We ran out into the dark Alolan night and saw we were on a beach. By the looks of it, it was pretty secluded.

I looked up and saw a mountain looming over us.

"Is that Ten Carat Hill!?" I said dumbfounded that we got all the way here.

The grunts nodded and I noticed a opening in the mountain. I walked over to it and saw a narrow path that led to a clearing of sorts.

Grunt B came over. "What'd you find Z?"

He looked into the opening and called out to Grunt A, "Hey A, isn't that the Farthest Hollow?"

Grunt A walked over and nodded. "We still made it yo, bro."

They bumped knuckles and I asked, "Made it for what?"

Grunt B looked at me. "Our bro undercover heard there was something going down in the Farthest Hollow yo."

"And that is..." I prompted.

"Team Radiance yo." A said. "Our mission is to mess up their plans and do it ourselves."

"Okay then," I said. "Once we're in there, follow my lead and don't cause any trouble or I'll make you two regret it."

They nodded and we went into the narrow path with Nebby bobbing along behind us.

This chapter is a bit early, but since it's a shorter one, I uploaded it early. But now we got some of Zeno's past told and more shall come. Till next update which will take longer than this. Toodles.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 2 93
4 Months after the ending of Pasio University, the students return from Summer break and are ready to get back to University for Sophomore year. thin...
5.1K 455 67
IMPORTANT: THIS IS THE 3RD BOOK OF THE HBOD SERIES. DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE FIRST READ HERO BORN OF DARKNESS THEN LIFE, DEATH, ORDER, AND CHAOS!!! ...
190K 4.5K 51
... I can't believe it... ... I'm finally in Alola! I've been waiting for this for like... Ever! Yes, I'll miss my home in Kanto, but to be able to v...
5.9K 231 37
He's dark. She's dramatic. He's angry. She's sad. He's explosive. She's cold. He's fiercely protective of everyone he loves. She doesn't want to be s...