Pokémon USUM: Hero Born of Da...

By TheRisingFlame

Current Cover and Banners by @ImberLapis Zeno, a teen on the run from his past life, finds his way to Alola i... More

Disclaimer
Arc 1: Alolan Beginnings
Prologue: The Many Beginnings
Chapter 1: Alola to Alola
Chapter 2: The Starters
Chapter 3: The Trainer Battle
Chapter 4: The Mysterious Pokemon
Chapter 6: Enter Team Skull
Chapter 7: A Mysterious Encounter
Chapter 8: The First Trial
Chapter 9: Darkness of Past and Present
Chapter 10: Within the Hollow
Chapter 11: A Fighting Chance
Chapter 12: Beneath the Waves
Chapter 13: The Haunting (Improved Version)
Chapter 14: The Golden Son
Chapter 15: Battles Between Rivals
Chapter 16: A Rivaled Encounter
Chapter 17: Trial by Evolution
Chapter 18: The Prophecy
Chapter 19: The Volcano's Protector
Chapter 20: New Revelations
Chapter 21: The Trial and the Ball
Chapter 22: The Growing Shadows
Chapter 23: Dugtrio's Revenge
Chapter 24: Invasion of the Dittos
Chapter 25: A Rocky Finale
Chapter 26: The goddess Below
Chapter 27: The Dark Past of Alola
Chapter 28: Gang War in Konikoni
Chapter 29: Aether Paradise
Chapter 30: The Gym
Chapter 31: His Dark Past
Chapter 32: Call of the Darkness
Chapter 33: Shooting Stars
Author's Note, Midway Summary, and a little somethings at the end
Arc 2: The Prophecy Unfolds
Chapter 34: Beginning of a Bad Joke
Chapter 35: It's Ya Boy!
Chapter 36: Visions of the Future
Chapter 37: The Oasis
Chapter 38: The One He Loved
Chapter 39: The Ghostly Trial
Chapter 40: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 1: Kidnapped
Chapter 41: The Attack on Po Town Pt. 2: Battle of the Bosses
Chapter 42: A Test of Strength
Chapter 43: Storming Aether
Chapter 44: The Queen of Aether
Chapter 45: Feelings Shared
Chapter 46: Mahina
Chapter 47: Showdown with the Queen
Chapter 48: Returning the Light
Chapter 49: The Insanity of Cassandra
Chapter 50: Ark City
Chapter 51: The Rising Shadow
Chapter 52: Hero Born of Darkness
Chapter 53: Reign of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 54: The Hero Reborn
Chapter 55: Fall of the Ultra Beasts
Chapter 56: Clash of the Deities
Chapter 57: A Period of Rest and Restoration
Arc 3: Alola's First Pokémon League
Chapter 58: The Final Grand Trial
Chapter 59: Traversing the Mountain
Chapter 60: Before the Battles
Chapter 61: Alola's Pokemon League Begins
Chapter 62: The Second Round
Chapter 63: The Third Round
Chapter 64: Round 4 Part 1: Alex vs. Robert
Chapter 65: Round 4 Part 2: Zeno vs. Kahili
Chapter 66: Quarter Finals Part 1: Zeno vs. Alex
Chapter 67: Quarter Finals Part 2: Hau vs. Hala
Chapter 68: Semifinals Part 1: Hau vs. Ryuki
Chapter 69: Semifinals Part 2: Zeno vs. Gladion
Chapter 70: The Finale: Zeno vs. Hau
Chapter 71: An Alolan Ending
Epilogue: The One Beginning

Chapter 5: The Festival

961 41 52
By TheRisingFlame

When Lillie and I reached Iki Town, we saw Hau with an older fellow with a potbelly in a yellow Alolan shirt. However, I could tell he was different from the average person. This must be the Kahuna. Hau's grandfather, Hala.

Hau spotted us and waved us over. "Zeno! Lillie! You're here! Great! The festival has just begun!"

When we reached them, Hau grinned. "Found Tutu here taking a stroll up Route 1. Must have passed him when we were on it. But looks like you managed to find Lillie."

I nodded. "Helped her out of a bit of trouble. I even met Tapu Koko."

Hau shouted, "NO WAY!" as Hala's eyebrows shot up.

Hala studied me. "So you say Tapu Koko visited you?"

Lillie shook her head. "Zeno helped save Nebby, but Tapu Koko had to save them both from falling onto the rocks in the river by the ruins."

"He even dropped this," I showed Hala my Z-ring, which I had fitted onto my left wrist.

Hala frowned. "Black Z-rings are normally only gifted to Kahunas or those who have proved themselves with for one, such as completing the Island Challenge. Our Guardian is a fickle creature, so it must see something extraordinary in you."

A shiver ran down my spine, the praising word ringing a strange sound in my head. "I'm not anything extraordinary. I'm just a somebody from Kanto."

Hala laughed a booming laugh. "Modest eh! Well, it seems what Tapu Koko sees in you is yet to show!"

I was going to respond, but people milling around the wooden platform distracted me. Apparently it got Hala's attention as well.

"It seems the festival is to begin," Hala said, holding out his hand to me. "May I know your name?"

"Zeno," I responded, shaking the extended hand.

He nodded. "You and Hau will make for a good festival opening."

He walked over to the platform as I raised my eyebrow at Hau, who was obviously excited.

Hala stood on the platform as Hau fist bumped me. "Ready for our rematch?"

I shrugged, allowing myself to grin. "Why not?"

Hau looked towards the platform, practically bouncing. "Then let's do this!"

We made our way to the opposite sides of the platform. Hala was doing a speech or a ritual, I didn't really know.

"For all life on our islands..." Hala spoke. "And for those who undertake the Island Challenge with joy in their hearts... We pray for your protection... For them and all Melemele. This battle between two new trainers shall be an offering to Tapu Koko, our island's Guardian Deity."

Hala looked at Hau, who stood towards the left of Hala. "Hau, the grandson of the Kahuna, step forth."

Hau grinned and walked onto the platform.

Hala then turned to me. "And Zeno. A new trainer from Kanto who has met with Tapu Koko himself!"

The crowd cheered for Hau and I, but as it died down, I could hear murmurs about me and Tapu Koko. I ignored the whispers and focused on Hau.

I grinned and grabbed Rowlet's pokeball and clicked it to enlarge it. "Ready when you are, Hau."

"Oh, I'm ready," his grin matched mine. "I'm coming at you with all I've got!"

"Now trainers," Hala raised a hand. "Bring forth the power from your Pokemon!"

We threw our pokeballs and Rowlet fluttered to the ground and "Kooed." A Pichu appeared from Hau's pokeball and I figured this was the Pokemon he had wanted to catch on Route 1.

"Alright Rowlet!" I shouted. "Let's take the first move! Use Leafage!"

"Counter with Thundershock!" Hau commanded.

The Thundershock collided with Leafage and exploded.

"Dive through the smoke and use Peck!" I ordered.

Rowlet obeyed, his beak glowing white as he flew into the smoke.

Hau grinned. "Dodge, then Sweet Kiss!"

Rowlet heard Pichu as the smoke cleared and Pichu jumped out of the way. Rowlet crashed into the platform as Pichu planted a kiss, confusing Rowlet.

I gritted my teeth. There was only one way out of this with minimal damage. "Rowlet, use Leafage on yourself!"

The crowd gasped as Rowlet fired a Leafage into the air that fell down on himself.

Rowlet shook it's body, the confusion gone. "Koo."

"Alright then." I said. "Fly up and quick fire Leafage at Pichu!"

"Oh no you don't!" Hau shouted. "Pichu, Thundershock all those Leafages!"

Rowlet and Pichu keep firing Leafage and Thundershocks, the moves always colliding. Then a Leafage managed to hit Pichu just as a Thundershock zapped Rowlet.

Pichu was knocked back and Rowlet was unable to fly properly.

"One last push!" I shouted. "Tackle!"

Rowlet dive straightened himself and dived at Pichu.

Hau looked worried. "Quick! Thundershock!"

"Change to Leafage point blank!" I commanded.

Rowlet fired a Leafage right next to Pichu just as Pichu fired the Thundershock. The moves collided as another explosion occurred, knocking both Pokemon back.

When the smoke cleared, Rowlet and Pichu lay on their backs, fainted.

"Both Pokemon are unable to battle." Hala said. "Trainers, bring our your last Pokemon."

Hau and I returned our Pokemon.

"You did good Rowlet." I said to the pokeball. "Take a good rest. Your deserve it. Me and Growlithe can take it from here."

"Let's do this!" Hau shouted, throwing out Popplio.

"Let's go Growlithe!" I shouted, throwing out the fire-type, who growled aggressively.

"Let the battle truly begin!" Hau yelled. "Popplio, use Water Gun!"

"Dodge it Growlithe!"

Growlithe jumped to the side, the beam of water missing him.

"Now use Bite!" I commanded throwing my hand out in front of me.

"Pound him Popplio!"

Popplio raised it's flipper to Pound Growlithe, but he jumped over Popplio and turned in midair and bit down on Popplio's tail.

Popplio yelped and began to thrash.

I grinned. "You know what to do buddy."

Growlithe planted his paws on the wood and lifted Popplio up to smash her onto the platform.

At the last second, Hau shouted, "Disarming Voice now!"

The impact of Disarming Voice was enough to free Popplio from Growlithe's bite and into the air.

"Just as we planned!" Hau shouted with glee. "Twirl and use Water Gun!"

Popplio twirled in the air, firing beams of water in a circular motion, pummeling Growlithe.

My eyes narrowed. Was it possible Hau had planned this? If he saw that that trick I had used against Alex, could he have prepared for that? I could now see, that under his mask of enthusiasm, Hau could be a serious rival.

When Popplio landed on the platform, Growlithe could barely stand.

"Finish this with Disarming Voice!"

"Dodge and use Ember!"

Growlithe tried to dodge, but the fairy move grazed him, making the Ember miss and hit the platform. The wooden boards near Popplio erupted into flames.

"Douse the flames with Water Gun!" Hau yelled in panic.

Popplio spewed jets of water on the flames, creating a thick steam.

I smirked. "Now!"

Growlithe burst out of the steam and bit down on Popplio's body hard. He tossed hey to the side who promptly fired a Water Gun, knocking Growlithe at my feet.

When Growlithe didn't move, Hala raised his arm. "Growlithe is unable to-"

He stopped as Growlithe's eyes sprang open. And in those eyes were a fiery determination.

An orange glow surrounded Growlithe as he stood, lighting up the night.

"Use Water Gun Popplio." Hau said nervously.

Growlithe ran towards Popplio, dodged the jet of water, and slammed his head into her. Popplio was knocked backwards, obviously dealt a ton of damage.

"Disarming Voice!" Hau yelled desperately, but it was too late.

Growlithe, still bathed in an orange glow, slammed into Popplio, knocking her out.

When Popplio stayed down, Hala raised his arm. "Popplio is unable to battle. That means Zeno is the winner!"

The crowd roared and cheered as Growlithe stumbled over to me, exhausted. He wagged his tail and barked happily as I ruffled his fur.

"Good job Growlithe," I told him. "You did amazing. And you learned a powerful new move."

Hala walked over to me and Hau followed.

I shook Hau's hand. "Good battle Hau."

He nodded excitedly. "You did great too. And what was that move."

Hala answered. "Reversal. The less health the user has, the greater the power the move has. It's a rarity for a Growlithe to learn it. You're quite the pair."

I grinned sheepishly and looked at Growlithe. "Hear that buddy. We just got more powerful."

"And an even better rival for me." Hau said jumping up and down.

I fist bumped him. "You bet Hau."

Growlithe barked in excitement and I knelt next to him.

"Take a good rest. You definitely earned it." I said and put him away in his pokeball.

I put the pokeball back into my trench and stood as Kukui and Lillie walked over.

Kukui smiled and nodded his head at me. "Nice moves there cousin. Just what I want to see in the League."

"League?" I asked. "But I thought there wasn't a Pokemon League in Alola?"

Kukui winked. "Not yet."

He turned to look at both me and Hau. "You two have done a fantastic job so far as trainers. It's time for the both of you to participate in the Island Challenge."

"What exactly is the Island Challenge?" I asked while Hau looked ready to jump out of his shoes.

Kukui held out four fingers. "Four islands and four Kahunas. Well, three, but the fourth is well on her way."

"On each island there are trials led by someone called a Trial Captain. They give you a task to complete and once it's completed, you take on the Totem Pokemon. The Totem is stronger than the average Pokemon and bigger too. Once you've beaten it, you receive the Z-crystal corresponding to the type the trial is based upon."

Kukui continued to speak. "Once every trial on the island is complete, you take on the Grand Trial! Against the Island Kahuna."

Hala stepped forward. "And for Melemele, that's me. Once you've beaten me in battle, I'll give you the Fightinium Z. The fighting type Z-crystal because that's the Pokemon I use. Fighting types."

"Once all the trials and Kahunas are beaten, you become the Island Champion." Kukui said. "That's usually the end, but I'm preparing something for all those who've become an Island Champion. Are you ready to take on the Challenge?"

Hau and I looked at each other, then back at Kukui. We spoke in unison. "Heck yeah."

---

Meanwhile, two people were walking away from Iki Town.

"What an interesting battle." The taller of the two said. "You liked like you wanted to join in."

The smaller one smiled. "It was pretty exciting. But we're here to study and learn. That Z-ring did give off a strong light aura."

The taller one nodded. "Indeed it did. We should investigate that trainer more. We might be given more insight on how to destroy the Blinding One and restore light to our world."

The smaller one swayed from side to side. "Then we should move on to the next site and compare notes with the other part of our Recon Squad."

They both walked off towards Hau'oli City in their strange space-like suits.

I decided to write this chapter up quickly and I do admit, it's an early chapter. But the next one will be published later. Maybe three to seven days. I'm not sure. Anyway, please review the story and post comments. Toodles. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110K 3.4K 64
Seven years have passed since Dawn parted ways with Ash and Brock, determined to fulfill her dream of becoming a Top Coordinator. After many struggle...
56.6K 1.3K 25
"...a friend that accepts you for you. A friend that lifts your spirits when you're feeling blue. That friend, I now know, is you..." What destiny aw...
20.7K 607 17
A story about a girl who moves from Kanto to the Alola region with her mum to start a new life. Everything seems normal, she even makes new friends a...
60.3K 940 44
|-Complete, Undergoing Editing-| Ash Ketchum had always been a lively and optimistic boy. He had his friends, his mother, his Pokemon and a lot more...