Silently Falling in Love: Luc...

By GauriDevi

Book One: SILENTLY FALLING IN LOVE: LUCKY CHARM In the best of movies, the girl and the boy, finally get toge... More

Silently Falling in Love: Lucky Charm
Chapter 1- Half Moon Bay
Chapter 2 - Going Down Memory Lane
Chapter 3 - Arranged Marriages
Chapter 4 - Frantic Husband
Chapter 5 - Life Back East
Chapter 6 - Always Busy
Chapter 7 - The Fund Raiser
Chapter 8 - Putting the pieces of the puzzle together
Chapter 9 - The Mind Wanders
Chapter 10 - The Photo Shoot
Chapter 11 - The Good Wife
Chapter 12 - Salma and Ali's wedding
Chapter 13 - Broken Promises
Chapter 14 - Destiny
Chapter 15 - Sneaking Out
Chapter 16 - What Next
Chapter 17 - Yoga
Chapter 18 - Lady Antebellum
Chapter 18 - Part 2 Lady Antebellum with some steam - Need you Now!
Chapter 19 - The Morning After
Chapter 20 - Heartache
Chapter 21 - Assumptions
Chapter 22 - Trust
Chapter 23 - Father Figure
Chapter 24 - Cha Cha
Chapter 25 - Shades of Gray
Chapter 26 - Shiv and Shakti
Chapter 27 - Remind Me
Chapter 28 - Revelations
Chapter 29 - Old Habits
Chapter 30 - Bridging the Gap
Epilogue
Book 2 - Silently Falling in Love - Again
Book 2 - 1989
Book 2 - 1990
Book 2 - 1990 Restricted Section
Book 2 - 1991
Book 2 - 1992
Book 2 - 1993
Book 2 - 1994
Book 2 - 1995
Book 2 - 1997 Part One
Book 2 - 1997 Part Two
Book 2 - 1998
Book 2 - 1999
Book 2 - 2000
Book 2 - 2001
Book 2 - 2002
Book 2 - 2003
Book 2 - 2004
Book 2 - 2005
Book 2 - September 2006
Book 2 - October 2006
Book 2 - November 2006
Book 2 - December 2006
Book 2 - January 2007
Book 2 - February 2007
Book 2 - March 2007
Book 2 - April 2007
Book 2 - May 2007
Book 2 - Summer 2007
Book 2 - September 2007
Book 2 - October 2007
Book 2 - November 2007
Book 2 - December 2007
Book 2 - January 2008
Book 2 - February 2008
Book 2 - March 2008
Book 2 - April 2008
Book 2 - May 2008
Book 2 - July 2008
Book 2 - 2009 Part One
Book 2 - 2009 Part II
Book 2 - 2010
Book 2 - 2017

Book 2 - 1996

770 26 9
By GauriDevi

February - Anjali

I couldn’t stop from swinging my foot waiting for my meeting with Raj.  For some reason I was really nervous.

After going through dozens of bio-data’s I picked about a dozen that I liked.  Raj was going to be number eleven.  The first ten meetings had been horrible.  How can someone sound so good on paper and then be so horrible in person.  There was only one more man to meet after Raj and if none of them worked out then it was back to the drawing board. 

I thought that arranged meetings would have been a reprieve from the horrors of dating, but it was equally as hard.  After the horribly long and boring dinners, I’d finally gotten smart and scheduled this meeting at a coffee shop.  This way if he was a dud at least I only wasted an hour and not a whole evening.

The last date had been excruciating with Arvind constantly asking me what my scores had been through my entire school life.  He couldn’t believe that I could forget my grades, my SAT scores and what not.  He remembered the very first perfect score he had from grade school.  Everything in his life was a stat to be measured, compared and of course remembered.  We went from discussing his perfect scores to the cost of all sorts of groceries. 

I’d arrived early and sat swirling my latte as I waited impatiently.  I had brought a paperback, The Runaway Jury, by John Grisham.  I chose this book since it was a page turner and it kept my mind from wondering about candidate #11.

I heard the coffee shop door open and I looked up to see a tall handsome Indian man walk in.  I strained my eyes to see if this was the man I was waiting for.  He was close to six feet tall but the bio-data had said 5’10”.  If anything I was expecting for him to be shorter since Candidate #3, 7, and 8 had all been a good two inches shorter.  Candidate #7 was even shorter than 5’8 because I looked down at him with flats! I’d come to expect exaggeration on height but certainly had not expected for the error to go the other way.

Maybe it wasn’t Raj. 

Actually, it couldn’t be the Raj I was expecting because this man was gorgeous and the picture that had been included was of an average looking guy.  This guy could be walking off a GQ magazine ad with his perfect dark black suit shaped to fit his athletic shape.  The tie had been shed and the first few buttons of his crisp white shirt had been opened in an inviting V making me wonder what I would see if a few more buttons were undone.

God, it had been too long since I last had sex.  I must be desperate to be thinking these things about a guy whose name I didn’t even know.

I looked back down at my book since this wasn’t the desi boy I was waiting for. 

Tapping my foot even more now, probably because of the evening caffeine I’d just injected into my body I impatiently looked at my watch.  Okay it was only five minutes after six pm.  Our date was for six pm.  But I had been here since 5:40pm and the wait was grating on my nerves.

“Anjali?”

I jerked my head up upon hearing my name.  And I was looking into the dark brown desi GQ man’s eyes.  He looked like a chocolate lover boy that I was curious to taste.

“Sorry I’m late.  I got onto the wrong train and had to back track my way here.”

I coughed hoping to find my voice.  Oh my god this was my Raj! Well not “my” Raj, but the Raj I was set up to meet.

I got up to greet him and was about to extend my hand for a handshake when he leaned in and kissed me slightly on the cheek.

“It’s nice to meet you.  Please have a seat, I’m sure you didn’t get one on the train at rush hour,” I gushed

But he nodded and waited for me to sit back down before he sat.

He easily pulled out the chair out across from me and set his long body down in such a leisurely manner.  How was I so fascinated by how he sat down? And yet, I wanted him to get back up and do it again so I could watch him bend and place his body into the chair across me.

“Have you been waiting long? Normally, I arrive early, I’m so sorry I kept you waiting.”

“No I just got here a few minutes earlier,” I lied.

“Do you want another cup of coffee?” Raj asked.

“Oh no, if I have any more caffeine I think I will literally be climbing the walls.”

He laughed a warm laugh that worked itself up my body.  It was like his laugh caressed my body.  God, was I desperate that a laugh could get me heated up.

“Do you mind if grab a cup? I’ve been up since five this morning and I could use a little injection of caffeine.”

“Yes of course.  I mean no, I don’t mind.” I laughed nervously.

“Can I get you anything else?” Raj asked and a dimple appeared in his cheek when he smiled.  Wow, what a smile.

“No I’m good.” I smiled back.  So polite.  Unlike Desi Boy #2 who let the door slam in my face when we entered the restaurant.

Raj just as easily got up from his chair and walked leisurely to the counter.  I watched the back of him as he looked over the menu and waited in line.  At least my wish was coming true I was going to get to watch him sit down in his chair again.

I looked away so he wouldn’t catch me staring because I really wanted to stare.  I wanted to watch his fingers wrap around the coffee cup.  Would he do it quickly or leisurely the way he sat down? Would he need a coffee cover or could he handle the heat emanating through the paper coffee cup?

I was fascinated by him and I liked watching him.  So unlike Desi Boy #3 who was such a klutz who spilled his glass of wine and then his coffee at the end of dinner.

I took one quick glance at his back and noticed that even though his hair was short and clipped in that conservative banker style, it was thick. I could see that the hairdresser had run a razor all around to keep the edges clean.  He must have thick hair to need that kind of a cleanup.  Thick hair was a must for me.  I wondered if I could convince him to grow out his hair so I would have more to run my fingers through.

God, he was handsome.  The picture that was given to me didn’t do him justice.  I couldn’t say that for most of the other candidates.  I think at least half of the desi boys I’d met so far most have had their pictures professionally touched up.  They didn’t look anywhere near as good looking in person as their picture had indicated.

Finally, I watched him as he walked back to our table.  As he approached the table my view of him was hindered by the tray he was holding.  Instead I watched as he set down a tray with his coffee and a few things to eat. 

“These are for you,” he said as he pushed several plates in my direction.  “I didn’t know if you like savory or sweet so I thought I’d get both.”

I stared at the fruit tart, banana bread, spinach croissant, four different kinds of mini cupcakes, and mini quiches. 

I smile, “I like both, but this is a lot of food!”

“Then I’m glad I bought both.” Raj said as he wrapped his long fingers around the hot coffee cup with no coffee cover for protection.  So he can handle the heat.  I notice his coffee is black, unlike my coffee which is usually half coffee, half milk, and half dessert.

I pop one of the cupcakes into my mouth.  I like how generous he is in buying all of these items even though I didn’t ask for anything.  Unlike Desi Boy #5 who left me with the whole bill.

I push the plates back towards him.  “You have to participate in helping me eat these.”

He laughed again and took a fork and cut into the quiche and slowly put it into his mouth.

He chewed slowly and finally stated “Not bad for a coffee shop quiche.”

“The cupcakes are good too.” I offer.

He takes his fork and cuts into the mini coconut cupcake and eats half of it.  “Yum.  You’re right.”

I’m feeling nervous again and to get the conversation started I ask, “So how long have you been in NYC?”

“I’ve been here since college.  Just like you.” He says.

I’m surprised that he paid attention to that piece of detail in my bio-data.

“Do you ever think of moving back to Chicago?” I didn’t want to be outdone.  I’d read his bio-data too and I knew he grew up in Chicago and his family was still there.

“Not if I can help it.  I really like it here.  The hussle bussle, and all of the movement here makes me feel alive.  Plus practically speaking, for my line of work there are just a lot more opportunities for me here.  I miss my family but not Chicago; I think I’m an east coaster.”

“What about you would you be open to moving somewhere outside of the East Coast given that you’ve spent your entire life here?”

“Actually, I’ve always wanted to go to California.  I even applied to Stanford and got in but my father would never have allowed me to go to school so far away from home.  I guess there is still a part of me that would love to Go West!” I confessed.  I didn’t even know him and yet I was telling him my inner dream.

“California is beautiful.  I have to travel there for work sometimes.  It is really different from here.  You should at least go visit sometime.” 

For the next forty-five minutes we chatted about our families, our interests and got to know each other.

Around seven pm Raj looked at his watch, “I’m sorry I didn’t schedule this for another day when we could meet longer, but I really wanted to meet you as soon as possible even if it was just for coffee.  I know you have to go somewhere, but I’m glad we at least met for a short while for coffee.  If you’re open to it, I’d like to take you out properly to dinner on a night you don’t have any other prior commitments.” 

I felt guilty about lying and not being available for dinner.  I had purposefully made up the lie to make sure I didn’t get stuck in another horrible evening.  The only commitment I had was with my VCR.

“I know you have plans this evening, but would you go out to dinner with me on a night when you’re free?” Raj asked.

“I’d love to.” I gushed and then said my goodbye and rushed to the subway to get home.

March – Anjali

Since our coffee date I’d gone out to dinner with Raj three times.  Each time it was a hot new restaurant that was difficult to get reservations at, but somehow he managed.  Finally I asked him if we could go see a movie.  I wanted something less fancy; I was running out of fancy outfits.  He obliged.

My work phone was ringing as I came back from lunch and I raced to pick it up.

“Hello, this is Anjali Malkani.”

“Hi Anjali, its Raj.  How are you?”

“I’m fine.  How are you?” I gushed.  I always felt like I had to be on my toes when I spoke or met with Raj.  He was so polite and proper.  He still made me nervous when we spoke.

“I’m good; I was just calling because I’ve been asked to go out of town for a potential deal so I won’t be here this weekend so I won’t be able to make our date.  I’m going to be gone for a couple of weeks as I have a few business trips lined up and it doesn’t make sense for me to fly back.  I’d like to make it up to you.  Can we reschedule our date for two weeks from Saturday?”

“Sure no problem.” I said.  It’s not like I had a choice if he had to travel for work, but it was polite of him to ask me anyway.

“Wonderful.  You’re not going to meet with any more guys while I’m gone are you? I know two weeks is a long time and we’re just getting to know each other.”

“Don’t be silly, of course not.”

It seemed like he blew out a sigh on the other end.  “Good.  I was worried you might dump me given how long I’ll be gone.  So two weeks from Saturday?”

“I’m not going to dump you because you have to travel for work, Raj.  But, Saturday won’t work.  Can we meet on Sunday instead? Maybe we can go for a bike ride in Central Park.”

“Oh.  You’re not available Saturday night.  Now, I’m worried that maybe you are looking at other bio-datas.” He laughed.

“No it’s nothing like that.  I have a dance performance on Saturday night.  It usually ends around eleven pm and then all of the dancers go out.  You’re welcome to come to the performance and join us afterwards.”

“Let’s do Sunday then since you’re busy Saturday.  In fact a great jazz band is playing at my favorite club.  Shall I pick you up at 7pm and we can grab dinner beforehand?”

“Yeah, that sounds great.  I’ll see you in a couple of weeks.  Have a good business trip.”

“Thanks Anjali.  See you soon.” And with that he hung up.

I stared at the phone in my hand and an odd feeling traveled up my arm.  Finally I set the receiver down in its cradle.  After hanging up I realized that he hadn’t said anything about my offer for a bike ride.

The next day when I arrived at the office there was a huge bouquet of flowers waiting for me.  I opened the card, “Dear Anjali – I’m so sorry I’ll be gone for so long.  I’ll be thinking of you every day and I can’t wait until we meet again.  Raj.”

Once I received the flowers I pushed aside the disappointed that he didn’t say he wanted to watch my performance and hang out with me and my dance troupe.  I brushed aside the feeling.  Maybe we weren’t at the stage yet to meet each other’s friends.  To be honest we were still getting to know each other.  I still hadn’t kissed him yet plus I was waiting for him to kiss me.  I was curious if we had any physical chemistry. 

I could wait two weeks if he kissed me at the next date.  Was there such a thing as being too much of a gentleman???

May - Alex

“Hi hon, how was your day?” Alex asked.

“It was long but it was good.  I ended up at a luncheon with one of the partners from Eastern Private Equity.  I met John Brownswood.  He said that he’s been working closely with you at Alpha Software.  He had nothing but great things to say about you,” she said cautiously. 

“Yeah, John is a good guy.  I like working with him.  He’s a no nonsense guy and he’s really smart, he picks up things quickly,” I said, a bit surprised that she had met my boss.

“John told me he made you a proposition last week to quit Alpha Software and join his firm.  Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked as she looked at me square in the eye.

“It didn’t seem important since I wasn’t planning on taking it.  By the way, Arjun called today and he’s madly in love with a woman he’s met in med school.  I think she might be the woman of his dreams.”

“What do you mean you’re not planning on taking it? Did you even consider it before turning it down?”

“Yes, I considered it, but I like what I’m doing.  You know what they say, if it ain’t broken don’t fix it.”

“Seriously, Alex, this is a huge opportunity and you just turned it down just like that!” Christina said raising her voice.

I bit my tongue before answering to keep from losing my temper.  “It’s my career and I know what I like doing for a living and my one foray into finance was disastrous.  Plus, I don’t appreciate you interfering in my career.  I never give you career advice so I’d appreciate you trust my judgment.”

“Your choices don’t just affect you, they affect us both.  Do you know how much money you just turned away without even giving it a second thought?  What’s the most a programmer is ever going to make? It’s probably a quarter of what you could make working for John! You’re just throwing money away! We may have a family someday doesn’t that concern you?”

“You know I wanted to share with you how Arjun is so happy and that he’s possibly met the woman of his dreams and he’d like us to go visit him in Seattle to meet Kavita, but somehow you managed to turn this conversation around about my career.  And for the record my dad was an engineer and he did fine raising two children in the Bay area so I think we’ll be fine with my job.  We may not be able to live in the city, but we’ll be able to afford a family.” I fumed.

“You know I hate how sensitive you get when I ask you anything about your career.  And for the record I wouldn’t mind if you asked about my career and provided some feedback.  Stop making this a topic we fight about.”

“I’m going out.  While I’m out here’s a list of dates that work for me to go visit Arjun and his new girlfriend.  Let me know which ones work for you and I’ll buy the tickets.”  I said as I grabbed my jacket.

“Why do we have to meet his girlfriend? What is he going to do break up with her if we don’t like her?”

“Chris don’t start.  And yes, he wants our approval because if she’s the one she’ll be a part of the family.”

I grabbed the keys to my motorcycle and took off and in the background I heard say, “This is ridiculous!”

I’m not sure what was ridiculous – turning down the offer, meeting Arjun’s girlfriend or walking out on her.  I was so mad I didn’t care so I left before I said something I’d regret.

June – Anjali

I’d missed the last three bunches with my friends, Katherine, Ali, Charlie and Tina because Raj had been keeping me out late, or keeping me in his bed on Sunday mornings, or both.  I’d insisted this Sunday I would not miss brunch.  I got up early so I could get ready and make sure I made brunch on time.  It was okay to miss brunch once in a while, but three weeks seemed like an eternity and I missed the weekly ritual with my friends.

I quickly showered and got dressed and walked into the kitchen to leave Raj a note before I left but when I reached the kitchen Raj was standing by the dining table.

He was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.  I smiled.  It was rare to see him so casually dressed.  He looked so handsome dressed down, I think even more handsome in jeans than a suit.

He didn’t return my smile, in fact he looked nervous and his hands were stuck deep into the front of his jean pockets.

My stomach started to turn and for some reason now I felt nervous.  I’d asked him to join me at brunch but he’d said he had some work to do and he’d join me next time.  Maybe he was mad I was leaving him for my friends.

“Is everything okay? I wasn’t expecting you to be up.” I said.

“Look, I’m not sure how these things work.  I know our parents introduced us and they’re letting us run this.  But I really like you.  I’m sure your parents are just as anxious to see if we want to get married, but we never really talk about it.” Raj said as he ran one hand through his short hair and looked out the window avoiding making eye contact with me.

“Is this something you want? Or are you being forced into it? Because I’ll understand if you’re just going through the motions.  We’ve both dated other people before each other and I never expected to go through the arranged marriage path, but here we are.” He half laughed and finally looked at me but didn’t move.  He pulled his hands out of his pocket and placed them behind one of the dining chairs as if he could hide behind it.

I walked toward him as some of the tension from my stomach eased.  “No I’m not being forced into this; I agreed to this.”

Raj’s shoulders relaxed a little bit and he moved his hands to my upper arms now that I was near him. “Are you sure? Because I’m falling for you and I’d hate to find out later that you’re not that into me.”

“That’s not going to happen.” I said as I leaned my head on his shoulder.  What I wanted to say is do you really think I’d be sleeping with you if I wasn’t truly into this, but for some reason the words wouldn’t come out.  Even though we were having sex, I couldn’t seem to say it out loud to him. 

He moved his arms around me and pulled me closer to him and dipped his head in the crook of my neck.  He took a deep breath and for a few minutes we just stood there in each other’s arms.  Finally, Raj moved a hand up my back and into my hair and gently pulled my head back and looked into my eyes.  “What do you want in a partner?  Up until now we’ve kept it really light, but I’d like to know if this could be something more serious.  If it’s not, or I’m not your type then maybe we should stop seeing each other.  I’m ready to settle down and I could see myself settling down with you.  I could see myself waking up to you every morning not just the weekends.”

I slipped my hand in his, “I feel the same way.”  And then I missed the fourth brunch in a row.  My friends were going to kill me but hopefully they would understand.

July – Anjali

I’d missed so many brunches over the last few months.  But, I was so excited to finally make this one.

“Well someone is awfully happy! Tell me today you have some juicy gossip.” Tina quipped.

I quickly sat down and flashed them my left hand with the two carat diamond engagement ring.  I wasn’t really thrilled with the ring, but I was thrilled to be engaged.  I kind of wished Raj had taken me to the jewelers to pick out the ring, but oh well.

Ali whistled, “That’s some ring!”

“Where are my sunglasses?” Katherine joked.

“Well at least we know our little Anjali will be well taken care of!” Tina cried.

And then the waitress brought my regular order of eggs benedict, at least she hadn’t forgotten my favorite brunch meal, and I proceeded to tell my friends how it had all happened and how they had to be there for the engagement. 

Even though Raj had proposed to me and given me the ring, I would have to give it back to him for the official engagement ceremony at the Hindu temple where both of our families would be present.  Raj had wanted me to experience both an American proposal as well as the traditional Hindu engagement ceremony.  The proposal for us and the ceremony for our parents.

“Can I wear a sari?” Katherine asked.

September - Alex

I was finishing up the dishes from dinner although I was taking my time.  It was Friday night so I figured I could relax a little before cleaning up the kitchen.

I sipped the Merlot Christina had opened and then not feeling satisfied with it I dumped it out in the kitchen sink and I opened the liquor cabinet to find something else to satisfy me.  As I stared at the liquor I debated between pouring myself a scotch, making myself a gin and tonic or just going to the fridge for a cold beer.

“What are you looking for?” Christina asked as she walked into the kitchen and refiled her glass of Merlot. 

“I can’t decide what I want to drink.”

“The wine wasn’t that bad.” Chris replied.

“You know I’m not that into red wines.  I need something else to unwind from the week.  I’m looking forward to going to the races tomorrow.”

“Oh about that, we’re not going to be able to go to that.  I have to be in the office tomorrow.”

“But, this is the third Saturday in a row you’ve had to work.” I say disappointed.

“Are you disappointed that I have to work or are you disappointed you aren’t going to be able to go race car driving?” Chris teased.

I grin knowing Chris has just called my bluff.  I really wanted to race.  There is nothing more exhilarating then speed.  Life had become too busy at work and I was looking to blow off some steam.

“Maybe next year we can go.” Chris called out as she left the kitchen.

September - Anjali

“So did you have a good time?” Raj asked.

We were driving back from the race car driving event and I was grinning and stretching my arms out.  It had felt good to beat all of those guys and then the added benefit of maneuvering such a beautiful car at such high speeds around a race track.

“I had a great time! Thanks for letting me take your spot!”

“You’re quite the racer.”

“I learned from my dad.”

“Did he teach you how to drink beer too? I had no idea you liked beer.” Raj said.

“I don’t mind the occasional beer, especially when I have company.”

“Yes seems most of the drivers loved keeping you company drinking beer.”

“Are you jealous?” I teased.

“Maybe a little.  But more surprised with the fact you race and drink beer.  So much I don’t know about my fiancé.”

“Seems there is a lot I don’t know about you either.  Cara asked me a lot of questions about us.  Did the two of you ever date?” I asked cautiously, not knowing if I really wanted the answer.

“Yes but it was a long time ago.”

“What happened? Why did things end?”

“Does it matter? It’s over Anjali.”

“Raj, if we’re thinking of getting married one day than I want to know.  I think we should have that level of honesty with each other.”

“Fine. I don’t think either of our families would ever have accepted each other.  And there were too many cultural differences.”

“You didn’t realize that before you started dating Cara? I mean why start something you know isn’t going to lead anywhere.”

“I did think it could go somewhere in the beginning.  I didn’t think it was a big deal but as we started to get more serious I realized the differences were too many and too wide to work out.”

“Like what differences?”

“Are you sure you really want to know?”

“Yes, I want to know.” I said but inside I really wasn’t sure.

“Okay.  To start with our religious beliefs.  Cara was raised in a Southern Baptist family.  Her parents would never accept a non-Christian into their family.  She told me I would have to convert to get her parents blessings.  And there was no way I was going to do that.  I mean it’s not like I’m a religious person, but I’m also sure as hell not going to be told I need to practice a certain religion or I’m going to hell.  I certainly would never have asked her to convert to Hinduism.”

Raj paused to take a sip of water.

“Then there is the topic of family.  As you know, how involved Indian families are in our lives and how intertwined our lives are and how we help each other emotionally, physically, and sometimes even financially.  She didn’t get that.  She would go to see her family a couple times a year and hated going for more than 2-3 days.  She’d complain that her family was too boring, too nosy, too needy and she’d rush back home.  If she couldn’t handle her own family for more than 2-3 days how was she going to handle my family for weeks at a time?  You know how Indian families come and visit for weeks at a time, you have relatives that come from overseas to stay with you and you have to play the good host.  I don’t think she would have been able to handle all of the family obligations in an Indian family.  And, god forbid if I ever would have to help out a family member financially she would not have been supportive of that.  She didn’t even help her own brother when he needed it.  We just didn’t agree on that and I think that would have eventually caused a lot of problems.”

“There’s something else you’re not telling me.  Because I think Cara is still hung up on you. She asked me a lot of questions this afternoon.”

“She wanted us to at least try with our parents and see if we could get them to come around about getting married.  But, I said no.”

“Why not at least try?”

“I wasn’t worried about getting permission to get married.  In fact, I knew it would have been difficult but I think I could have convinced my parents and they would have eventually have agreed.  I was more worried about what would happen after we got married.  We just would have had too many different expectations because of the cultural and religious differences that I don’t think we would have been able to resolve.  So I didn’t see the point in convincing my parents about the marriage.”

“If there were so many differences, what attracted you in the first place?”

He took a deep breath in. “Are you sure you really want to know?”

“Yes.  I want to know.  I don’t want to live in anyone’s shadow.”

“She’s beautiful, sophisticated, ambitious and smart.  She also understood my long hours because she worked long hours.  And when we did see each other we could talk shop for hours.  We had a lot in common professionally and there was chemistry.  But, that’s not enough for a life partner.  There are so many other responsibilities I have and I’m not going to turn my back on them.  I need someone who understands those other responsibilities and can understand the two worlds that I live in – the Western world we were brought up in and the Eastern world that is tied to our ethnicity.  I have to be with someone who can move between both of those worlds and not make me choose one.  What about you? What happened between you and Josh?”

“It wasn’t exactly the same, but I guess I had different expectations based on our culture.  He was the first guy I fell in love with and I guess I expected him to be the last, but he wasn’t really ready to settle down.  Looking back on it, I think I just assumed he would be able to flip between the Western world we live in and the Eastern world I grew up in.  But, he really didn’t know much about the Eastern values and culture so it was probably an unfair expectation of mine to assume he could do both.”

Raj says, “That’s why I like you.  You get it.  You get how we need to be able to move between two worlds and you understand the different expectations even though sometimes they contradict each other.”

I looked over at Raj and smiled at him.  But, I couldn’t help wondering Raj said he likes me, not he loves me, but he likes me.  I’m going to marry a man that likes me.  I bit the inside of my cheek.  Why did that make me sad when I knew that’s what happens in arranged marriages.  The love comes later once you’ve spent more time together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

December - Anjali

On Friday afternoon I went to a Happy Hour to celebrate Charlie’s Birthday.  Several of us were getting together to celebrate his birthday and use it as an excuse to see each other.  Raj was going to meet me there after he was done with work but he had told me that he may get there a little later since he had to finish up some work before he could leave the office. 

I was standing at the bar trying to get the bartender’s attention when I heard someone familiar call my name, “Anjali.”  I knew the voice even though I hadn’t heard it in years.  It was the way he said my name, slow pronouncing all three syllables, in a soft tone, and in his deep voice that always made me shudder.  It was like time stood still while he said my name.  I slowly turned to my left and I was face to face with Josh.  I just plain stared at him; I took him in and noticed all of the changes since I had last left him at the airport in Johannesburg.  He had filled out and gone was the boyish look.  He looked older than twenty-eight.   I guess the experiences he had had changed him.  He was very tan from being outside and there were already wrinkles at the sides of his eyes.  But, this change looked good on him.  That’s how Josh looked – worn, experienced, and sexy at the same time.  He no longer looked like the all-American boy he had been, he now looked like a global citizen of the world – someone who had seen and experienced a lot in life and had survived it. 

“Hi Anjali.  It’s been a long time.” Josh said

“Hi Josh.  How are you?” I responded.

“You look even more beautiful than the last time I saw you.  Really breathtaking.  I was hoping I’d see you here tonight.  It’s been too long.”

“You don’t look so bad yourself.  You’re almost as tan as me now.” I said.

Josh rolled up his sleeves and held his arm next to mine and grinned, “I think I have you beat.”

“So you travelled the entire world just for a tan and here I thought it was out of some intellectual curiosity.”

He laughed at my comment. It was like our old rapport was back.  We just seemed to fall back into that familiar sense of teasing and banter we always had.

“Are you in New York for long?” I asked.

Instead of answering my question, he asked, “Have dinner with me?”

“No.” I responded quietly.

“Why not?”

“Josh, I’m engaged, I can’t have dinner with you.  It wouldn’t look right.” I responded.

Josh had this odd look in his eyes and I couldn’t quite figure it out.  Before I knew it he grabbed my hand and took me outside to a corner table on the patio away from everything.  

 “Fine.  If you won’t have dinner with me, then you’ll have to listen to me.  I’ll cut to the chase.  Please don’t marry that guy.  I made a mistake letting you go.  I was so young Anjali and I needed to see more of the world before settling down.  But, I’ve never stopped loving you.  I’ve always kept tabs on you, I never forgot you.  Please give me another chance.”

I stood there shocked by his words.  My silence caused him to start talking again.

“I will live anywhere you want.  I can move back to New York and cover local town hall meetings if that means being closer to you.  I’ve seen the world I don’t need to see any more if you want to stay in the States.”

“Josh, I’m not the same girl you said goodbye to so many years ago at the Johannesburg airport.  A lot has changed.  I’ve changed.  And you’ve changed.  We’re not the same people anymore.”

“At our core, we’re still the same Anjali.  I can see it in your eyes.  We may have had different experiences over the last few years, but you’re still the same gentle person.  You still care for the same things you did when we were in college.  What we had was really special – a once in a lifetime thing.” Josh pleaded.

“I waited for you for so long.  Even though you made it clear it was over, there was always a part of me that hoped you’d change your mind and you’d come back to me.  But, a person can only wait so long.  If you had even come back to me a year ago, I would have considered your offer, but not now.  I’m engaged.”

“Aren’t you worried you’re making a mistake?  Anjali, I’m ready to get married.  I’ll go and ask your father for your hand tomorrow if you just say yes.” Josh desperately confessed.

We’d gone from not seeing or talking to each other in years to a marriage proposal the first time we saw each other.  It was strange.  I’d dreamed of him begging me to take him back, but now that it was happening it felt weird.  There was no satisfaction in it, only confusion and some anger.

“We don’t even know if we are still right for each other and you’re talking marriage.” I countered.

“I know we’re still right for each other.”

“Even if you could guarantee me we’re right for each other, the answer is still no.” I said with stubbornness.

“Why Anjali?”

“You’ve spent enough time in my cultural part of the world you should know the answer to that.”  I paused and looked at him.  His eyes moistened and I know I had reached him.

“I made a vow to my fiancé to marry him.  I made it in front of God and I voluntarily went through the Hindu engagement ceremony.  That means something to me.  There is no way I’ll dishonor my parents or humiliate my fiancé and his family.  You’ve spent enough time in that part of the world to know what it would mean to break an engagement.  My fiancé and his family have been nothing but good to me and I’m not going to repay that by dishonoring them.  You’re the one who was the coward, who couldn’t decide what he wanted.  Now that you’ve traveled the world, experienced all sorts of women and you feel like I’m the best thing that happened to you; you want me to drop everything for you.  I didn’t need to see the world or experience other men to know I wanted to be with you.  What you’re offering is too little and too late, Josh.”

 A couple of things from the first book have changed.  Alex doesn’t end up going to the races so he doesn’t meet Anjali the way he did in the first book.  Also, because Alex is married and doesn’t have the same angst he did when Christina cheated on him he’s satisfied with his job and he doesn’t go back into finance. What I wanted to show was that Christina not cheating on Alex changes the entire story. I know I’m writing the story slowly so hopefully, you’ll catch these small nuances.  Thanks for sticking with the story!

I hope you like this song – What’s your Rashee – I like how it goes through the different zodiac signs trying to figure out who’s the perfect match.  Horoscopes are a key ingredient in finding the right match.  I assumed that that Anjali and Raj were a match or they wouldn’t have been introduced.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 8.5K 104
Two Strangers were meet in most stranger way. Both are lonely in their life and just craving for love. He was rich business tycoon in all over world...
14.2K 1.4K 35
Shanvi sharma a 2nd yr of college student, she is ambivert and kind, loving and caring in nature but she is little bit short tempered. she is coming...
157K 5.4K 62
A story of two people who just hate eachother but destiny have some other plans for them Let's see what happened between them will they unite or fal...
3.7M 131K 83
STOP RIGHT THERE Mrs Priya Ekaansh Raghuvanshi, a shiver ran down her spine listening his dangerous voice she gulp and tightly close her eyes,she was...