Cupid's Match : CUPID'S MATCH...

By LEPalphreyman

[IN BOOKSTORES AND KINDLE UNLIMITED NOW!] What if you were matched with the original love god? --- When Lila... More

Published version of Cupid's Match: out today!!!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Part 2 : Cupid
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Part 3 : The Arrows
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Part 4 : The Finis
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Part 5: CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Author's Note

Chapter 74

461K 23.9K 6.4K
By LEPalphreyman

The Commander's steely eyes lock onto mine through the barred window.

He gives a subtle nod and turns away. Instantly another Matchmaking Agent approaches and pulls open the cell door.

My heart pounds against my ribcage as we stare at each other. His dark eyes are cold and reproachful.

Then he reaches inside and pulls me out of my seat; his grip tight around my arm.

I feel a wave of panic as I stumble into the dimly lit corridor. There are two other male agents, and three female agents close by – all armed and wearing white fighting suits.

They drag Cupid and Crystal out at either side of me; shouting things at them as they do so. I hear get out and traitor, among other insults.

My whole body is shaking with the violence of it.

Cupid catches my eye as four of the agents surround him. They seem to be taking no chances that he will escape, and I watch in horror as they tear at his clothes and punch him in the stomach.

I try to move towards him but the agent holding onto me tightens his grip on my arm.

Cupid doesn't react to the beating – merely holds my gaze.

It'll be OK he mouths to me.

Crystal beside him just looks irritated. I watch as she shrugs off the male agent who is attempting to hold her still.

The Commander stands back from the group of us, watching the scene dispassionately.

"Christian, handcuff the prisoners." He says once everyone has quietened down.

The agent gripping onto me suddenly pulls my arms forward and slips a strong, black cable around my wrists. I yelp as he does so. 

The material is ice cold and pinches my skin.

He moves over to do the same to Crystal and Cupid, and the Commander gives a thin smile.

"Time to go" he says "Venus is waiting."

My stomach tightens as Christian and one of the female agents take place on either side of me.

The Commander strides down the damp corridor ahead of us, and I am pushed forward. I can hear the sounds of Cupid and Crystal being marched along behind us.

I glance through the bars of the dark cells as we walk by–catching glimpses of the Myths sat behind.

The Minotaur winks at me as we pass – a dangerous smile playing about his lips.

I remember what Cupid said in the Labyrinth.

The Minotaur is a killer.

My heart races.

Can we really trust these Myths to save us?

My legs feel increasingly weak as we are forced up the stone steps and out into the indoor courtyard.

We're taken down a long, wide corridor in the Matchmaking Service that I haven't been down before. The air is sickeningly sweet – and the walls, floor and ceiling are a chequered black and white.

At the end of the corridor is an open arched doorway; through it I can hear the slow, rhythmic pounding of a large drum.

The overall effect of the hallway is overwhelmingly dizzying, and I try to glance over my shoulder to find Cupid for reassurance. Instantly Christian jolts me forwards and I stumble – the restrains on my hands making it hard to balance.

"Keep moving" he snarls.

"It's OK Lila" says Cupid from behind.

I hear a shuffle and a grunt as one of the agents presumably hits Cupid. I feel a wave of anger.

"Leave him alone" I cry out.

Christian pinches my arm roughly and I feel my eyes begin to water.

"Keep your mouths shut, both of you," he hisses "you've brought this on yourselves."

"We were fine before you came along" adds another agent, just out of earshot of the Commander.

Her tone of voice is bitter, and I wonder whether these cupids hate us because they're following Venus' orders, or whether they hate us because we brought her back.

When we get to the end of the long hallway, the Commander stops for a moment, and turns to check we are still there. Then he nods at the Matchmaking Agents and steps through the archway.

My heartbeat accelerates.

It's really happening.

We're really going on trial.

Christian and the blonde girl march me forward through the arch.

For a moment I feel like I'm going to faint.

We have entered the front of a vast room; it looks like a mixture between a temple and a courtroom, with tall, stone pillars supporting a high domed roof. Ahead of us, past a high podium and stretching back to the other side of the room, are rows of seated cupids.

They all stare at us as we walk in, a sea of white suits and glinting arrows.

Christian grabs my arm and leads me forwards.

As we pass the tall, wooden judge's bench the sickly sweet scent from earlier almost overpowers me. I glance upwards and see it decorated with bouquets of myrtles and roses.

They look wilted and sad, like flowers at a funeral.

I look around for Venus, but I can't see her anywhere.

We're marched up onto a raised bit of stone ground in front of everyone, and I feel my legs buckle as I see what's ahead.

Around the outside are ten agents, each with a large drum that they bang rhythmically with each step that we take. In the centre of the space are three, black, metal poles; a length of cable hanging from each.

Stood facing them is a tall, muscular male archer – his bow is much larger, and more elaborate than the ones I've seen Cupid or Cal use.

In his quiver there are three black arrows and one gold.

The replica of the Finis.

The six agents force me, Cupid and Crystal to the poles in the ground.

Are they going to kill us?

I begin to struggle as Christian roughly pulls my bound hands above my head, and attaches them to the cable hanging from it.

I try to break free but I can't. Panic fills me.

"I don't like this" I hear Crystal hiss at Cupid as she is bound to the stake at one side of me.

Moments later he is bound to the pole on my other side. He turns his head to look at me; his hands are bound above his head too, and he gives me a weak smile.

He looks worn down. There are rips in his black, cotton t-shirt, and tired smudges below his eyes.

I wish I could reach out to touch him.

"You OK lovebug?" he whispers.

I can hardly hear him over the pounding of the drums. I nod weakly, but I'm not; if I wasn't tied to this pole, I think my legs would buckle beneath me.

I look around frantically, trying to find Cal in the crowd.

Finally I spot him stood at the end of the front row. His silvery eyes watch me distastefully.

Then suddenly the pounding of the drums stops, leaving the vast space in a deathly silence. His gaze flickers past me and his face drains of colour.

I jolt my head straight ahead to where he is looking.

An imposing, female figure now stands behind the floral bench.

Venus.

Her red hair is tightly braided with white flowers, and her glassy, doll like eyes look unblinkingly ahead. She is now wearing a revealing white, strappy dress that is almost the same colour as her pale skin.

Her gaze falls onto Crystal and Cupid; then slides onto me.

I feel my skin crawl as her lips form into a cruel smile.

"Well" she says, her voice echoing around the otherwise silent hall "Shall we begin?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168 0 37
"𝑯𝒐𝒑𝒆 π’•π’‰π’†π’š π’ˆπ’Šπ’—π’† π’„π’“π’†π’…π’Šπ’• π’˜π’‰π’†π’“π’† π’„π’“π’†π’…π’Šπ’• π’Šπ’” 𝒅𝒖𝒆 𝒕𝒐 π’•π’‰π’Šπ’” π’π’Šπ’•π’•π’π’† π’Žπ’‚π’•π’„π’‰π’Žπ’‚π’Œπ’†π’“. π‘ͺ𝒂𝒍𝒍 π’Žπ’† "π‘ͺπ’–π’‘π’Š...
298K 11.6K 52
~Dear Cupid, I like this really cute guy from my school, except he's a bad boy and a total player. What do I do? I'm a pretty shy girl. Help! Lov...
7.8M 215K 38
❝ One day your Prince will come. Mine just took a wrong turn, got lost, and is too stubborn to ask for directions. ❝ Nova Lockheart is tired of being...
2.1K 271 31
β˜…What if Cupid hit the wrong person?β˜… #1 in dimensions #1 in dystopian #6 cupidsmatch β€’β€’β€’ Esma's voice echoed t...