Cupid's Match : CUPID'S MATCH...

By LEPalphreyman

[IN BOOKSTORES AND KINDLE UNLIMITED NOW!] What if you were matched with the original love god? --- When Lila... More

Published version of Cupid's Match: out today!!!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Part 2 : Cupid
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Part 3 : The Arrows
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Part 4 : The Finis
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Part 5: CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Author's Note

Chapter 49

546K 27.8K 4K
By LEPalphreyman

Cupid bolts down the dusty aisles - making his way towards the stairway.

I cast a glance back at Cal. He scoops up the leather bound book from the floor and shoves it under his arm.

He looks back at me, his silvery eyes wide.

"We need to get back." he says "For Crystal."

I nod.

As much as Cal appears to dislike the receptionist I can tell that he is afraid for her. For a moment I feel like I should say something comforting - but then he starts to move forwards and the moment is gone.

I turn away from him and sprint after Cupid.

We catch up with him in the main, domed archive area. He casts a glance at us both.

"Don't run any more." he says "It will look suspicious. Just walk. Fast"

Cal and I nod and fall into step beside him as he paces through the indoor courtyard, past the statue, and through the open plan office.

It's not until we reach the reception area that I notice it.

The silence.

Selena's music has stopped playing.

I urgently survey the room.

Crystal's replacement receptionist is no longer sat at the high stone desk. He is stood blocking our only exit from the Matchmaking Service - pointing a black arrow straight at us.

"Find everything you need?" he asks, arching a dark eyebrow.

He gives my match a steely look.

"You shouldn't be here." he adds sourly. "Cupid."

Suddenly Cupid pushes me to the side as the black arrow is released.  It plunges into his shoulder and he cries out in pain - staggering backwards.

Then the receptionist turns to Cal who has moved in between the two of us.

"I thought better of you." he says sternly "Though I've always said we should never trust his brother."

In front of me I notice Cal's shoulders tense up but he says nothing. 

"Who's the girl?" the new agent continues, looking past Cal at me "The match I presume?"

Before either of us can respond Cupid steps forwards, pulling out the black arrow with a grunt, and staring at the receptionist as it crumbles to ash between his fingers.He raises an eyebrow.

"You know you can't kill me with that." he says

He takes another steady step forwards as our attacker swiftly pulls out a new arrow. The receptionist immediately releases it and this one hits Cupid in the stomach. Cupid grunts again but continues to advance.

"You can't escape." says the receptionist, though there is a glimmer of fear in his voice now as my match advances. "There are more of us than you."

I notice him looking over my shoulder at something and spin around. My stomach drops. Hurriedly I grab Cal's arm and he turns to look behind.

There are another three cupids stood by the entrance to the office. Each with a bow and arrow in their grasp.

My heart rate quickens.

"Erm...Cupid." says Cal sharply - catching his attention. 

There is a moment's pause before I hear Cupid sigh heavily.

"Are we really going to do this?!" he asks.

"You could come with us voluntarily." replies the receptionist. "We'll put you up for trial. It will be fair."

I turn to glance at Cupid behind me. There is an exaggerated pained expression on his face.

"Would love to." he says "But there's just somewhere we need to be."

In a flicker of movement he rushes forwards at the agent blocking our exit and spins him in front of him as though he is a shield. At the same time Cal grabs the back of my neck and pushes me to the ground as a flurry of arrows stream over our heads towards Cupid.

Two Ardor arrows sink into the chest of the receptionist who begins to shriek with pain.

The torture arrow.

I look back frantically at Cal who pulls me to my feet as Cupid throws the receptionist into the three cupids behind us. Then - the way to the exit now clear - he powers through the door and out into the street.

Cal and I sprint after him - staying low to the ground as another arrow whooshes above our heads.

I run as fast as I can towards the Aston Martin, my legs screaming with the effort . When we reach it, Cupid is already in the driver's seat, turning on the engine. I throw myself breathlessly into the back as Cal thuds down into the passenger seat.

The car accelerates and I spin back around to peer through the rear window as we speed off down the road. One solitary female cupid stands there watching us leave - a sour expression on her face.

"The song was meant to be played on loop." says Cupid irritably "I think The Arrows must have let them know we were coming - told them to turn it off."

"They knew we would be there?" I ask as we hurtle through the darkness towards Forever Falls.

Cupid nods.

I glimpse behind us again. The road is still empty.

No-one is following.

Yet.

"What will happen to Crystal?" I ask. "If we don't get back in time."

I watch Cal's angular face in the mirror - he looks tenser than usual.

"They'll start with the Capax." says Cupid seriously "To try and get her to tell the truth about where she put the Finis."

"She's a trained cupid though" blurts Cal "It won't work on her. She'll fight it. And then..."

The Matchmaking Agent's face turns pale and he looks a little nauseous.

"The Ardor" says Cupid quietly. "They'll try and torture the answers out of her."

I feel my stomach turn as I remember Cal's reaction in the simulation, and the receptionist's shrieks just moments before.

"And then" he continues "When they have what they need - they'll kill her so that she can't tell us."

Cupid turns to his brother.

"Will she crack?" he asks "Will she tell them what they want to know?"

Cal looks stonily ahead.

"Let's just get there on time." he says blankly.

Cupid nods, and puts his foot down even harder on the pedal- the street lamps are a blur of white light as we race through the town square and approach his home.

He skids to a halt in his grounds by the front door and we rush out.

There is still a light on in the kitchen, and all looks undisturbed as we power through to the corridor.

Well that's a good sign at least.

"Crystal" shouts Cal "Crystal are you here?"

Then we open the door to the living room.

Cupid goes in first and stops still in his tracks. Cal and I hurry in after him.

My stomach plummets

We're faced with the scene of a struggle.

The armchair is upturned and books from his shelves are scattered across the hardwood floor. Across the far wall the blazing fire lights up what looks disturbingly like a smear of blood.

I turn to Cal whose expression is unreadable. His silver eyes are blazing.

Then I hear the whimpering in the corner and observe a streak of movement as Charlie throws herself into my arms.

I feel a small moment of relief that at least my friend is OK - and that, after Selena's hypnosis, she doesn't seen to hate me any more.

I hold her close.

"They took her." Charlie sobs into my shoulder "They took Crystal."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

599K 23.3K 26
"Aren't you a little too young to be a psychologist?" I eyed him suspiciously. "Aren't you a little too sane to be seeing one?" He countered with an...
554 103 17
Callista isn't exactly the best in the business. When it comes to being a cupid, she struggles, and her snarky little lovebird pixie assistant isn't...
567 39 12
Eris, the Goddess of Chaos and Discord, had always spent her days causing mischief and discord on mortals. It was not until one day that Eros (Cupid...
2.1K 271 31
β˜…What if Cupid hit the wrong person?β˜… #1 in dimensions #1 in dystopian #6 cupidsmatch β€’β€’β€’ Esma's voice echoed t...