Silently Falling in Love: Luc...

By GauriDevi

Book One: SILENTLY FALLING IN LOVE: LUCKY CHARM In the best of movies, the girl and the boy, finally get toge... More

Silently Falling in Love: Lucky Charm
Chapter 1- Half Moon Bay
Chapter 2 - Going Down Memory Lane
Chapter 3 - Arranged Marriages
Chapter 4 - Frantic Husband
Chapter 5 - Life Back East
Chapter 6 - Always Busy
Chapter 7 - The Fund Raiser
Chapter 8 - Putting the pieces of the puzzle together
Chapter 9 - The Mind Wanders
Chapter 10 - The Photo Shoot
Chapter 11 - The Good Wife
Chapter 12 - Salma and Ali's wedding
Chapter 13 - Broken Promises
Chapter 14 - Destiny
Chapter 15 - Sneaking Out
Chapter 16 - What Next
Chapter 17 - Yoga
Chapter 18 - Lady Antebellum
Chapter 18 - Part 2 Lady Antebellum with some steam - Need you Now!
Chapter 19 - The Morning After
Chapter 20 - Heartache
Chapter 21 - Assumptions
Chapter 22 - Trust
Chapter 23 - Father Figure
Chapter 24 - Cha Cha
Chapter 25 - Shades of Gray
Chapter 26 - Shiv and Shakti
Chapter 27 - Remind Me
Chapter 28 - Revelations
Chapter 29 - Old Habits
Chapter 30 - Bridging the Gap
Epilogue
Book 2 - Silently Falling in Love - Again
Book 2 - 1989
Book 2 - 1990
Book 2 - 1990 Restricted Section
Book 2 - 1991
Book 2 - 1992
Book 2 - 1993
Book 2 - 1994
Book 2 - 1995
Book 2 - 1996
Book 2 - 1997 Part One
Book 2 - 1997 Part Two
Book 2 - 1998
Book 2 - 1999
Book 2 - 2000
Book 2 - 2001
Book 2 - 2002
Book 2 - 2003
Book 2 - 2004
Book 2 - 2005
Book 2 - September 2006
Book 2 - October 2006
Book 2 - November 2006
Book 2 - December 2006
Book 2 - January 2007
Book 2 - February 2007
Book 2 - March 2007
Book 2 - April 2007
Book 2 - May 2007
Book 2 - Summer 2007
Book 2 - September 2007
Book 2 - October 2007
Book 2 - December 2007
Book 2 - January 2008
Book 2 - February 2008
Book 2 - March 2008
Book 2 - April 2008
Book 2 - May 2008
Book 2 - July 2008
Book 2 - 2009 Part One
Book 2 - 2009 Part II
Book 2 - 2010
Book 2 - 2017

Book 2 - November 2007

243 19 3
By GauriDevi

Anjali

I look for Alex to see if he's available to grab a cup of coffee before we start our day. I pull my coat tighter to keep the cold air out. This winter seems to have started sooner than usual. I hope to find Alex soon because I need some warm liquid to defrost me. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to live in a place where it doesn't snow.

I still don't see Alex so I decide to leave the school building and venture home. Maybe I'll catch him at pick up.

I quickly walk to my car not able to bear the cold any longer. Faintly I hear my name being called and I turn to my right and see Alex running towards me. He's wearing his usual jeans but with boots and a short wool coat.

"Hi," I say as I walk up to him grinning like a teenage girl.

"Hi," he says back as he blows warm air onto his hands trying to keep them warm.

"I was looking for you inside but I didn't see you. I was hoping you were up for a cup of coffee."

"Sorry, it took longer at drop off; my parents are visiting and they wanted to see the school and the kids classrooms."

"Your parents are here?" I ask.

"Yes, that's why I was calling you. I wanted to introduce you to my parents. They're back there," Alex says as he points to a couple slowly walking towards us.

"I'd love to meet your parents," I say as we already start walking towards them.

"How long are they here for?" I ask.

"They're here for the week. They'd like to stay longer but the weather is just too cold this time of year."

"That's so nice they're visiting for Thanksgiving. It's nice to have family in town."

"Yeah, it's nice having them here."

We finally reach Alex' parents.

"Sat Sri Akaal, uncle. Hello auntie," I say as I extend my hands. "It's so nice to finally meet you. Alex speaks so fondly of you both."

"Mom, Dad, this is a good friend of mine, Anjali. Her kids are the same age as Jasper and Leah and the kids are also great friends."

"It's very nice to meet you too," they both say.

"I'm so glad to see that Amar finally has some Indian friends," uncle says.

Alex laughs, "I think the kids are even more excited, samosas are now a staple part of our diet and so is everything else Anjali cooks for them."

"Auntie and uncle if you don't have any plans right now, why don't you come over for chai. It's so cold outside, I'm sure a warm cup of chai will help you warm up. I'm sure this weather is a huge change from California," I offer as I look towards to Alex.

"Mom and dad, chai?"

"Sure a cup of chai would be nice," uncle says. I notice his mom is very quiet and just nods. I get the feeling she doesn't like me.

"Wonderful, I'll meet you at my place."

"Alex sweetheart, do you know how to get to Anjali's home?" his mom finally says.

"Yeah mom, I know the way," Alex says with a puzzled look on his face.

I quickly race home and hope they take a little longer to get to my place, but as soon as I take off of my coat and put my purse away the doorbell rings.

I quickly run to the door, "Welcome. Come on in," I say as everyone filters in and start to take off their coats.

"Should we take off our shoes?" Alex' mom, Helen asks.

"No mom you can leave your shoes on," Alex says.

"Oh, okay."

"Come on in," I say and walk my guests to my kitchen.

I pull out some banana bread I just made yesterday. I quickly pull out my chai pot and fill it with the appropriate amount of water.

"So, what are your plans while you're here in New York?" I ask.

I measure the black loose-leaf tea into the pot.

Alex opens my fridge and pulls out the ginger, fresh mint and the milk and lays it out on the counter next to me. "Thank you."

"Thanks for making the chai," Alex says as he pulls out the small grater for the ginger and four cups for the chai and the sieve for the tea once it's done.

I quickly grate the ginger into the tea and then pull out the cardamoms and put it in my mortar and begin to crush them.

"We don't have any major plans for our stay, really the only thing we want to do is spend time with the kids and Alex and Chris. We've been to New York several times so we've seen all of the main attractions. We plan to just take it easy and enjoy our grandkids," uncle says.

I laugh, "I think all grandparents are the same, they enjoy their grandkids more than their own children. There is an Indian saying about how the interest is worth more than the compound, basically referring to the grandkid being the interest."

Uncle laughs yes, "I do remember that saying, and yes it's true. We probably spoil our grandkids more than we ever spoiled our boys. Plus we have three grand daughters and there is something about daughters in our culture that makes us spoil them more."

"Yes, I have one sister and one brother and I definitely must say my father spoiled us more than my brother."

"Are you the oldest?" uncle asked.

"No I'm the middle child."

The black tea was bubbling and I poured the milk in and turned down the heat.

I poured four glasses of water. "I've got it," Alex said as he placed the water glasses on the dining table. He then pulled out four small plates for the banana bread.

"Auntie, uncle please help yourself to the banana bread, the chai should be ready soon."

"Thank you," uncle said.

I pulled out some Marie and Parle biscuits and placed them on a plate and put them in the center of everyone.

"Do you take sugar in your tea?" I ask Alex' parents.

"No sugar please," uncle says.

Alex than pulls out the sugar from cupboard and places it on the dining table with a few spoons.

The tea was just about ready so I added the crushed cardamom and a few moments later I tore fresh pieces of mint into the bubbling chai.

"Mint is Anjali's secret ingredient to her chai," Alex said as he moved next to me and whiffed in the smell of the chai.

"It's not a secret if you know it," auntie said.

"You're right mom. No matter how many times I try to replicate Anjali's chai, I can't. So there is some secret about the chai she's not sharing with me."

"So Alex, looks like you're a fan of Anjali's chai," auntie said.

"Any chance I get to drink Anjali's chai I take it. I never say no," Alex laughed.

I felt tense as I poured the chai. My hands were shaking as I poured the chai and some of it spilled over the side of the cups.

"Chai's ready I say," and Alex comes over and takes the cups over to the table. I soak the chai pot in the sink to hide my shaking hands.

Something is tugging inside of me, I don't think Alex' parents like me. Usually parents love me and I've always gotten along with my friends parents. So it unnerves me that they don't like me.

Uncle takes a sip of the chai, "I can see why Amar beta likes your chai so much. Amar you should continue to practice making the chai so you can surprise Christina. I'm sure she'd love it if you made her such a delicious cup of chai. There's nothing like a husband spoiling his wife."

Alex nods, "I'll keep working on it."

"Your husband must be so lucky to have you make chai for him like this everyday," auntie said.

"He's actually a coffee drinker."

"Such a pity he's missing out. What does your husband do?" Helen asked.

"He's in the same business as Christina," I say.

"Oh do they know each other?" uncle asks.

"Yes they do but they work for competing banks," I say.

"That must be nice the four of you to have so much in common; it must make for a lot family get togethers," Helen stated.

Alex and I just nodded.

"So, what are you doing for Thanksgiving?" I ask changing the subject.

"We're going to New Hampshire to Chris' parents home for the day. They have more space and the kids love the freedom of running around and playing. Plus it will be nice to get out of the city for a few days."

"What about you guys? Are you going to your parents house for Thanksgiving?" Alex asked

"Yes, we're heading to my parents home in New Jersey. It's our annual tradition. My siblings and all of my uncles, aunts and cousins we all get together. I have a big family so it's a lot of fun," I said.

"Where do your in-laws live?" Uncle asked.

"They live in Chicago. We usually see them at Christmas, and we go and spend part of the summer in Chicago. My in-laws and his siblings all live in the Chicago area."

"How is your husband able to get so much time off? Christina is so busy she rarely comes out to California to visit," Helen says as she looks over at Alex.

"Oh, Raj doesn't come for the whole time. His schedule isn't that much different from Christina's. I usually take the kids and Raj comes for the last couple of days," I say nervously and then take a big sip of the hot chai burning the inside of my mouth.

"Yes, that's what Alex does too; he usually comes to California for longer and Chris joins him at the end of the trip," uncle says softly.

We continue to chitchat about little things, the weather, California vs. New York, the kids and an hour and half later Alex and his parents leave.

"Thank you so much for having us over," Helen says as she puts her coat on. "Yes thank you for the wonderful chai," uncle says.

Alex reaches over and hugs me and kisses me on the cheek, "As usual, thank you. I'll call you later we still need to discuss some items for the fund raiser." I flinch back a little even though we always greet each other with a hug and a kiss on the cheek it feels odd doing this in front of his parents and especially his dad.

"Sure no problem. Uncle, auntie, have a wonderful time in New York and Happy Thanksgiving," I say as I walk them out.

"Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to you too," they both say.

I walk back into my house feeling exhausted for some reason. I go up to my room and take a nap.

Alex

The ride back home from Anjali's is quiet. Neither of my parents says much. I get the feeling they don't like Anjali, which seems crazy since my father is always upset that my kids don't know anything about Indian culture. He feels like I need to introduce them to the food and culture and religion.

The silence is getting to me. "So, mom, dad, what do you want to do this afternoon. Should I take you to a museum or shopping?"

"Actually, I'd like to go home," my mom says immediately.

"Sure thing. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, I just want to take it easy today."

Ten minutes later we pull up to the house and we go inside. My parents quickly and quietly walk inside take off their coats and settle down on the coach in the living room.

I look over at my mom and she looks mad.

"Mom are you okay? You don't look well."

"How long have you known Anjali?"

"Since the kids switched schools. She was one of the first friends I made at the school. Why do you ask?"

"Well you two really do know each other quite well. You knew where everything was in her house, it's like you've been there several times."

"I have been there a lot. Our kids have a lot of the same classes together and they get along. We help each other out with carpooling and drop off and pick ups for the extra-curricular activities. Plus, we're organizing the school fundraiser together. And, she's teaching the kids Hindi. So yes, I know her well."

"And how well do you know her husband?" my mom asks.

"I know him."

"Just as well?"

"Mom, I know Anjali more because she's a stay at home mom and I'm the one who does more of the volunteer activities at the kids school. It's all school related," I say defensively not liking where my mom is going with this.

I look over at my dad and he looks just as tense as my mom.

"How many other moms or dads do you also coordinate with?" My mom asks.

"It's just easier with Anjali she's a stay at home mom and our kids are both the same age and really get along. What are you trying to say mom? Just spit it out."

"People might begin wondering about your relationship with her. I'm definitely wondering about your relationship with Anjali and I just met her."

"Oh God mom, we're both married and all we have is a common interest of our kids that's all!" I say irritated.

"And another common interest that you both have are spouses who work ungodly hours and are never home. I'm sure something else to talk about and complain about," my dad said finally chiming into the conversation.

I look at him likes he's crazy.

"Son, you're playing with fire. She's married, you're married; you have a responsibility to your family," my dad adds.

"Of course I have a responsibility to my family and that's what I'm doing, I'm taking care of them."

"Oh for heaven sake, Alex you like her," his mom exclaims.

"Of course I like Anjali, why would I be friends with her if I didn't like her," I spit back trying to keep my temper in check.

"No, Alex you like her. I saw the way your eyes light up when you speak to her. She's the one you're talking to during the day and texting with, isn't she?"

"You don't know what you're talking about," I say not liking that they can see through me.

"You're my son, Alex, and you can lie to everyone else in the world and maybe even to yourself, but the relationship you have with Anjali is not right," my mom pauses and then continues, "I know things may be tough with you and Christina right now. But have you considered counseling? Having an affair will only make things worse between you and Christina and you need to think about the kids."

"Mom, dad, Chris and I are fine. We don't need counseling," I say not admitting that I'd already asked Chris but she refused saying nothing is wrong us. Her exact words had been, "Any problems you think we have are in your head."

My dad backs up my mom's softer approach and says, "Don't get me wrong, she's a very nice person and in another lifetime she would have been perfect for you. But you made a choice a longtime ago to marry Chris and have a family with her so she's your partner and you need to find a way to make it work."

"It is working. I know our marriage is different from yours, but ours is working for us. You're both jumping to the wrong conclusions. So if you don't have any more questions, I need to get some work done before I pick up the kids from school."

My parents nod their heads, but inside I know they're not convinced. I leap up the stairs to my office desperately needing to get away from them and end this conversation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.7K 1.4K 35
Shanvi sharma a 2nd yr of college student, she is ambivert and kind, loving and caring in nature but she is little bit short tempered. she is coming...
14K 656 35
Her pov Everything is gonna change in One Night. My life will turn upside down so do my dreams. Being forced into this marriage is never in my though...
23.9K 2.1K 38
"Inaaya," he calls out, a certain urgency underlying in his tone. "Don't ever fall in love with me." She doesn't say as a moment passes between them...
2.7K 179 27
you must have heard many stories about how two people who are forced to marry become lover of eternity and then, there is a villainess who is also hi...