Trashes of the Counts' Famili...

By rileymilamo33

Adara Thornwin, the best friend of Cale Henituse, and possibly equally as Trash as him, decides to visit her... More

A/N
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
A/N
28
29
30
31
32
A/N
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
46
47
48
49
50
51
˗ ˏ ˋ❆ Winter Special ❆ ˎˊ ˗
˗ ˏ ˋ❆ (The Real) Winter Special ❆ ˎˊ ˗
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
Happy Anniversary!
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76

45

305 19 3
By rileymilamo33

It seemed like Amiru had finally gotten the hint.

Adara and Cale both received a letter from Eric, informing them of the failed tourism investment discussion. Adara, however, also got a letter from Amiru though it was slightly different. The letter expressed how she wasn't disappointed because she had another idea. But she would need more time until she could be sure.

"Is that your final decision, Unnie?" Adara asked, an eyebrow raised but the ghost of a smile still on her lips.

Amiru nodded her head, eyes on Adara, cheeks still rosy. "Yes. I didn't think it was a decision I could make on my own, so I contacted my mother. I plan to discuss it with Young Master Gilbert today as well."

"Of course," Adara agreed. The construction of a military base was not exactly a decision you could make alone. "You need to make sure the power balance doesn't become a power imbalance." Especially in times of peace.

The power balance was precisely what made it so interesting to the Crown. The East was the only side of the Roan Kingdom that had access to the ocean, but what the North-East had that the South-East did not, was the balance of power. Such a balance of power would make it difficult for high-ranking Nobles of other regions to influence the base.

The only problem was—.

"Then," Cale started, "Young Lady Amiru's concern is that the Crown's influence in your territory will get stronger because of this?"

"Yes," Amiru said simply.

That was a big problem if you were the Ubarr Family. Because then they might become similar to the ones of the Central Faction in everything but in name. And, again, that would disrupt the power balance. Most importantly, the Crown Prince's influence would grow.

"That is the reason I asked for this time with you today," she continued.

Cale disagreed with her choice of words. He did not think it was the only reason, like how it wasn't Amiru's only reason for accompanying them out of the Banquet two days ago. Though they were discussing a military base, Amiru found difficulty in taking her eyes away from Adara.

Adara, on the other hand, paid no notice of whatever alternative reasons Amiru had for arranging their carriage ride together because it benefited them. Because Adara knew what Amiru would ask of them. She had been planning this for too long not to know the opportunity when it was in front of her.

But Adara could not accept. Not right away. It would be too suspicious. And it would reveal too much.

So, while she made split-second decisions on what to say, Cale decided to speak, to give her more time.

"I am curious as to what your question is," Cale said, leaning into his seat like it was his carriage. "But I think I need to tell you something first."

He too figured out why Amiru was here— or at least one of the reasons.

"Any decisions regarding the funds of the Henituse Family are made solely by my Father. Trash like me has no decision-making powers."

Ah, Adara thought. I guess that is an excuse as well. "Yes, sorry, Unnie, but I will need to discuss with my Father as well about the funding. I will tell you as soon as I know the answer." It was very beneficial to them to fund the Naval Base, so the answer would certainly be 'yes'.

Adara was not trying to be rude when she said that Amiru and Gilbert's Families were average in wealth. But they were, especially compared to the Henituse and Thornwin Families.

Since they were so average in wealth, a solution would be to let the Royal Family invest money into the Base. The Royal Family needed to grant them permission to build a Naval Base, but they did not need to do anything else.

Now, if the Royal Family were to invest money into a tourist site, it would not be a problem that the tourist side belonged to the Crown. But they are talking about a Naval Base.

If the Royal Family were to invest money into the Naval Base, which they would gladly do, the ownership of the Naval Base would then go to the Royal Family.

That would increase the influence of the Crown in the Ubarr Territory.

That was precisely what Amiru wanted to prevent. And there was only one method she had thought about that might prevent that.

Borrowing money from someone with a lot of money.

Or, even better, borrowing money from two people with a lot of money.

Amiru smiled. At the Crown Prince's wine party, she learned that the Crown Prince was interested in the shoreline, but not interested in tourism.  Later, when she arrived at her Residence, she realised the intentions of Cale's words.

"His Highness, the Crown Prince, was wary of the Whipper Kingdom and the Kingdoms to the North. I could tell based on our conversation with him, so I sought out some information from the Information Guild."

So, I was right then, Adara thought. The Crown Prince and the Royal Family were aware of the fact that a civil war would soon appear in the Whipper Kingdom. It seemed they were also aware of the North that was gathering their forces.

But Adara had underestimated Amiru's willingness.

Amiru's Family was not doing the best at the moment, relying mainly on Eric Wheelsman's Family for help. As she said earlier as well, they were average in wealth. It costs a lot of money to get information on Foreign Kingdoms through the Information Guild, but she was willing to spend that money to verify the piece of information she had heard.

Amiru continued speaking. "I also heard the Henituse Territory is currently fortifying its walls and the Thornwin's plan to do so as well. I believe both the Henituse Family and the Thornwin Family would be interested in the Naval Base since you both have territories that do not allow any kind of invasion."

Adara nodded, she hadn't heard about plans to fortify the walls, but she acted as if she had. "I already said I would discuss it, I am sure even he will see the benefits in it. I will talk with him as fast as possible, Unnie, to give you an answer as fast as possible."

Cale also nodded. "I will speak to my Father about it."

Amiru had flinched at the undertones in Adara's response. It reminded her of the curt letter she had received from Adara when she had asked about her Family. But she was glad that they were willing to discuss it with their respective Fathers. "We will also send an official request as well."

Adara smiled at Amiru. And not her usual smile. This smile had meaning to it.

If the Naval Base were to be made, the balance of power in the North-East would shift to Cale, Adara, Eric, Amiru, and Gilbert's Families. Also, if both the Henituse and Thornwin Families were to provide the funds, they would have a steady influence in the Base as well as receive multiple facets of support from the Base.

Adara supposed it was a good thing she had been hinting at the Naval Base even before she knew the War would come. But... now that she was thinking about it... she could not remember what had given her the idea. Why had she thought a Naval Base would be important in times of peace? She could not remember.

Amiru was hesitating but decided to speak. "I am a bit worried because of the whirlpools, but there are paths that have been used for ages, and the whirlpools will actually serve as a defence to prevent foreign nations from invading. That is why I want to give it a go."

Adara's mind immediately went to the third Ancient Power, Sound of the Wind, when Amiru mentioned the whirlpools. Once they got the Ancient Power, the whirlpools would be theirs to control, given the fact they could both get it.

"Thank you for your help, Adara, Young Master Cale," Amiru said with a smile.

Cale shrugged her thanks away. "I have no power whatsoever, I am just delivering your message to my Father."

Adara made a similar motion. "While I am discussing it with my Father, his decision is the final one." It is very handy that I promoted Madelynne to the Head of the Finance Department because now she is mine. Which means I have agents in the Finance Department that are High-Ranking.

Amiru did not agree with their choice of words. She thought both Cale and Adara had more power in their respective Territories than they let on. She was sure she would be getting the funding from both of them.

"Amiru, you need to be cautious when you don't have power. However, you need to be bold if you want to earn power."

That was what her mother, the Head of the Ubarr Territory, had told her when she agreed to the idea of the Naval Base. Amiru was similar to her mother. So she worked to be bold while remaining cautious. It was the philosophy she had used when befriending Adara Thornwin. And it worked.

She had been cautious at first, the seemingly random gesture of Count Thornwin's daughter coming to talk with her making her suspicious, especially with the rumours circulating her. But, after being cautious, and realising Adara was quite the charming Young Mistress the rumours did not make her out to be, she decided to be bold and pursue the friendship between them.

She had only wanted a friendship in the beginning— of course, a friendship between houses, strictly professional— but then she got to know Adara Thornwin better. And she decided a more personal friendship would suit her more. Would suit the Viscountcy more, she lied to herself. But she knew she simply wanted Young Mistress Adara's company for her own.

And now there was another who Adara kept her company with.

But Amiru put a smile on her face, she did not have anything against Young Master Cale. Nothing at all. "It is enough for you to deliver our message for us. And, thank you, Adara, I am sure your Father will make the right choice for your County."

She looked at them again, looked longer at Adara. It was not like much had changed, her hair was in a different style and she was wearing a dress. But she looked so... different. Not in a bad way, she was still pretty. But Amiru suddenly could see all her pretty features much more clearly, even her scars were not out of place on her face. Everything looked so pretty. Adara looked so pretty, Amiru found it only slightly hard to think when such a pretty woman was staring at her.

Amiru cleared her throat, thinking about the words she had been planning to say. "Please come visit the Ubarr Territory next time," she said, remembering the offer she had been planning to make. "There are actually a lot of interesting places to see."

Cale smiled. "We will go if we have the chance to do so."

The Sound of the Wind.

An Ancient Power that gives them fast feet while also giving them control over the whirlpools around the Ubarr coast.

"Of course," Adara agreed, eagerly. "I need to visit your mother, do I not? I do miss her so."

Before Amiru could comment, the carriage arrived at the Palace. Amiru got off first, Cale after her, extending his hand to help Adara. Adara got off last, unused to having to pick up her dress before getting off a carriage.

Adara looked around and saw a giant clock that showcased the time. It was 8 a.m. The Plaza of Glory would only be filled with people at 8:30, the Royal Knights would not allow anybody inside earlier.

At 8:30 a.m., the rest of their group would be looking for the magic bombs that were hiding in all sorts of shapes. Necklaces, bags, pendants, to name a few.

She looked back at Cale, who was standing next to her. A lot relied on the others. It would all go well, of course, she thought. She never liked giving other people the work if it was something significant. She was always able to do it better than them, so she saw no point in giving it to somebody who could fuck it up.

But this she could not do alone. And they would most likely be able to do it better than her, together. She only hoped they wouldn't fuck it up.

When she looked at Eric and Gilbert, she saw they had paused, staring at her. She grimaced on the insdie. Just because she was wearing a dress for what felt like the first time in forever, did not mean everyone had to stare at her.

"Hello, Young Master Eric, Young Master Gilbert," Adara said.

They both broke off their gazes. Eric fake-coughed, looking at Cale instead. "O—oh, you guys are here?"

Cale looked around. "Everyone came early," he noticed.

Eric nodded, his expression serious. "Of course. We will start moving at 8:05 a.m."

Adara was about to respond, but she paused. Because someone had approached her group.

The Crown Prince had approached them, someone walking alongside him.

Whispers and murmurs, gasps and exclamations, echoed across the Nobles who were waiting in the area.

Adara let her mouth form a small 'o' but she did not really care how fake her surprise seemed. It was because of the person standing next to the Crown Prince.

The Abandoned Son of Marquis Stan, the one who had been pushed aside because of his paralysed legs, Taylor Stan, was standing next to the Crown Prince.

Taylor Stan made eye contact with Cale and Adara, a bright smile on his lips. Adara kept her eyes on him, about to make a remark, when she heard the Black Dragon's voice in her head.

The Black Dragon had come to give the report of the current situation. 'I am here,' the voice said. 'We are dismantling all of the bombs that are currently stationed in the locations we found. We will dismantle them completely at 8:55 a.m., as planned.'

Adara nodded slightly, the move seemingly random if anybody detected it. Everything is going as planned, she thought. That is good.

The Black Dragon continued. 'I will be heading back now since we are busy, weak Human, weak Half-Not-Human. Use your shields if it seems like it'll hurt.'

Adara did not think there would be a reason for either of them to use their shields, so she did not worry.

The Crown Prince watched Adara. He was not angry. He was not upset. But he could not understand why he was annoyed when Adara stayed still, her eyes on Taylor Stan. Yes, yes, he thought, impatient. I am sure it is a wonder he is standing on his own, but I am the Crown Prince, shouldn't you greet your Crown Prince?

So he decided to get her attention on his own, he did not wear his best and brightest suit for nothing. "Ah, Miss Adara, you look beautiful in that dress."

He was not lying, he was not exaggerating, he was not using his glib tongue either. Because she did look beautiful.

He had been taken aback when he had seen her at first, he thought she would come in a suit like her redheaded companion would. But no, she had come in a deep red dress with a corset. Her hair was made, looking curly and pretty as it framed her face. And though there was nothing done to her face that he could see, he still felt something had changed. It was as if her pretty features were even clearer to him now.

It had taken him a moment to recollect himself.

She cannot be human, he thought. It was not possible. For someone so pretty— so pretty with their luscious black hair, deep dark eyes that seemed to smother you in their gaze— it was not possible for the owner of these features to be completely human.

And now, those eyes were slowly turning to him, until they locked onto his.

Finally, she was looking at him.

Her eyes turned into small crescents, his eyes instead going to her lips. Her lips formed something he could only describe as irresistibly sly. Then her voice came to him.

"Why, thank you, Crown Prince Alberu. You look quite handsome in your suit as well, the white and purple with the small accents of gold suit you."

Staring at her now, taking her whole face into consideration, all their pretty aspects put into one face, he became assured of one thing. A sly smile truly does suit her face better.

He did not mean it as a slight. The opposite. It was a compliment. She had a rough face, her scars ruining the image of what otherwise might have been of an amiable Young Lady. But she still managed to have a pretty face despite it, even with her smiling slyly, he could not help but name the smile irresistible as well.

She was rough, but her features were softened. It was an odd combination, and that was what made it so attractive.

It took him a moment to respond, the Nobles all around now whispering about the fact he had complimented her. But he did not need to respond, because one of the Royal Knights loudly called out that the preparations were completed.

He turned without another word, leaving Young Master Taylor and Miss Adara. He got onto the Royal Parade Carriage, as the Nobles got into the Royal Carriages behind him.

Cale and Adara got into the carriage as well. In most of the carriages, only 4 Nobles were seated in them, but she was glad the Crown Prince had specifically let there be 5 Nobles in this carriage.

Taylor Stan, Neo Tolz, Cale Henituse, Adara Thornwin, and Amiru Ubarr.

Neo Tolz was needed in the carriage as well as Taylor Stan to fuck with Marquis Stan's Faction. Adara Thornwin was needed as well, considering what she had said to Marquis Stan's Son at the Banquet. Cale Henituse was needed to keep Adara Thornwin happy. And Amiru Ubarr was needed to have at least one normal person in this hectic carriage.

Adara only snorted at the seating arrangements.

As usual, she was in between Cale and Amiru, and Taylor and Neo were across from her.

Taylor was in a particularly good mood, seemingly gloating to the agitated Neo. "Nice to meet you all again," he said, good-naturedly.

Amiru smiled mildly. "Nice to meet you. I am Amiru Ubarr."

"Nice to meet you," Neo muttered.

It was now Adara and Cale's turn to introduce themselves. But Cale did not say a word, turning to look out the carriage. Adara decided to be trashy enough for the both of them and turned to Taylor.

"Is Priestess Cage with you?" she asked plainly, Amiru flinching at the crude words.

Taylor did not mind of course. He smiled, smiled wider than he had so far. "I am sorry to say she is not, Young Mistress. But I am here instead of her, I hope you do not mind if I ask you for a toast as well?"

He had not forgotten how much Cage had gushed about how different Adara was when she was acting as Trash. He did not forget either, how Cage had also gotten the opportunity of Adara sitting on her lap. However, that option was certainly not available at the King's Birthday.

He could also not believe how much the Young Mistress had changed simply because they put her in a pretty dress and her hair was in a different style. He only wished Cage was here to see her as well, then he would have someone to gush with about how pretty she looked.

Amiru eyes narrowed. She had dismissed it when it was Priestess Cage. She was a woman, she could not court Adara. But now here was a man, Young Master Taylor, who wanted the same toast Cage had.

Adara extended her hand out for Taylor to shake. "I do not mind. A toast is a toast. I do not think I need to introduce myself, Young Master Taylor."

Taylor shook her hand eagerly. "You are right, Young Mistress Adara. You do not need to introduce yourself. Like how I do not need to introduce myself either."

It was quiet in the carriage. But it was still chaotic. Neo's legs were shaking, his face was frantic and full of concern. Suddenly, Adara remembered Venion's face. She had seen it when she was getting in the carriage.

He was full of rage.

She smiled on the inside at his face. It reminded her of that one time he tried to kill her with a table. His eyes wide and livid, nostrils flaring, hands clenched so tightly she could see his knuckles. It was hilarious.

After all, she thought, mocking, who could have ever expected this? Certainly not the— ah what did they call us again?— the North-East Trash Duo. Never.

The son who was pushed aside because of his paralysed legs was now standing on his own two feet. But that was not the only surprising thing. He had been standing next to the Crown Prince.

Someone from the Stan Family standing side-by-side with the Crown Prince.

Nobody would have ever expected that.

Well, nobody except Adara and Cale.

Them standing next to each other gave Adara a sign as to what exactly Taylor had offered to keep the Second and Third Princes in check in exchange for the Healing Star.

Neo seemingly realised it too, as his leg would not stop shaking.

Amiru, the only sane person in the carriage, decided to speak up. Cautiously, of course. "Young Master Taylor, have your legs completely healed?"

Taylor smiled a small smile. "It was a blessing from heaven. It is completely healed."

Amiru tried to hide her surprised expression. "Congratulations," she managed to get out.

Taylor accepted her felicitations with ease. "Thank you very much."

Neo coughed a few times, the coughs fake. He looked at Taylor next to him, at his face then to his legs. He hesitated before he spoke, sending a quick glance at the others in the carriage.

Cale was looking out the window, Amiru was curiously waiting for him to speak, Adara was staring at him with her narrow dark eyes. He gulped.

Neo hesitated some more, before he suddenly got the words he wanted to say. "Young Master Taylor, will you be returning to the Marquis's Estate now that your legs have healed?"

The only reason Taylor was pushed aside, was because his legs were paralysed. The other Nobles were probably curious to see if Taylor would go back to the estate to fight for the Successor Position again.

Venion was surely very curious.

And Neo was one of Venion's lackeys.

Taylor looked towards Neo. "Return?" he asked, the voice gentle yet firm and cold. "That has always been my home. Isn't it obvious that I belong there?"

Neo shrinked at the coldess in Taylor's voice, shivering.

Adara let out a huff of amusement, the attention being taken to her. She— purposefully— hid her amusement at the situation badly. She wanted Neo Tolz to know she was making fun of him. Wanted him to know she thought he was ridiculous. She still had not forgotten the slight against her and Cale he had spoken in front of the Palace. The Successor of a Viscount could not compare to the Child of a Count. Certainly not when that child was Adara Thornwin.

Silence followed again, with Taylor inconspicuously making eye contact with the two Trash. With Cale, he communicated by catching his attention by the reflection in the window he was looking out of. Adara, he got her attention in a similar way, as she had also taken to looking out the window.

Young Master Cale, Young Mistress Adara! his sparkling eyes seemed to say. I want to tell you everything! It is a very interesting story.

Adara wanted to know the story. She wanted to know the specifics. She needed the specifics. It would help with her investigation of what the Crown Prince had to hide. She had found almost nothing about the Crown Prince's Mother. Could not even find out how she had died. But most of all, she hoped that— whatever they did discuss— she hoped Taylor would take over the Marquis Position and become the Head of the Stan Family.

The carriage came to a stop then, they were at the Plaza of Glory.

"Ahem," Neo said, already opening the door to the carriage. "Then, I will step out now."

They had no objections.

Everyone knew he was most likely going to find Venion so that he could report on Taylor.

Amiru also decided to go. She did not want to leave Adara and Cale alone, but it would not be good if they bumped into Venion. "Adara, Young Master Cale, I will come back with Young Master Eric."

She did not think it would be a big problem to leave the three alone. It was not like they had much to talk about with Young Master Taylor. But she was going to be quick anyway, she did not want Taylor to start talking nonsense to Adara.

Taylor smiled brightly as soon as they were gone. "Finally, only the three of us are left."

Cale looked away from the window, a displeased expression on his face.

Adara laughed at his face, before her face switched off to a serious one. "What did you exchange?"

Taylor smiled. Yes, this was his Young Mistress. Always getting straight to the point. "I got my legs fixed by promising to become the Head of the Marquis's Estate."

Cale raised an eyebrow. "Did you promise your loyalty?"

Taylor shook his head. "No. I made a deal."

Cale immediately nodded. "That's good. Congratulations on your healed legs." He looked out the window.

While Cale did not care about the deal, Adara did. "What deal?" she asked, leaning forward slightly.

Taylor wondered for a moment why Adara seemed more interested in it than Cale did, but paid no mind. He took out a small envelope out of his pocket and handed it to the Young Mistress. "This is the contents of our deal. It'll be good for you both to know, Young Mistress Adara and Young Master Cale."

Adara took the envelope, opened it quickly, took a look at it, before handing it to Cale. "I do not have any pockets," she explained in when he looked at her in confusion.

Taylor spoke up again. "Cage will be excommunicated."

"Is it because she does whatever she wants?" Cale asked, putting the envelope in the inside of his vest pocket.

Taylor nodded. "It is."

Adara chuckled. "I am sure she is very happy about it."

Taylor nodded again. "She is."

Taylor paused, thoughts rushing into him in turmoil. "This is just the beginning," he muttered. Louder, he said, "We will be victorious. Right, Young Master Cale, Young Mistress Adara?"

Adara did not understand why he was including both her and Cale in his victory. But Cale spoke up anyway. "You will be victorious."

Taylor smiled again, looking at his legs one last time, he stood up. "Thank you very much. I will get off first, then." He walked to the door, turning around to look at both Cale and Adara. "The four of us should drink together after our victory."

Adara nodded, pleased with the idea. "Henituse wine is delicious, we will treat you this time."

Taylor opened the door and left.

Cale turned to Adara, his hand at the pocket the note was kept in. "Is the note satisfactory?"

She shook her head. "'The Crown Prince wishes to avoid civil war'. I assumed as much. It is not interesting, nor can I use it in any way as far as I can see."

Cale knew she was more interested in the Crown Prince than he was, so he shrugged his shoulders, his hands back at his side.

Adara looked around the carriage. She sighed. "This carriage is too stuffy."

Cale got up, stepping out of the carriage. He had wanted to get out earlier, it was far too little room for his legs. And now that she expressed wanting to get out as well, it resolved his decision. He helped Adara out as was their norm now.

As soon as they got out, Eric called out to them. "Cale! Young Mistress Adara!"

They turned their heads at Eric's calling, seeing the Plaza of Glory behind Eric.

Eric spoke up, now that their attention was on him. "Young Master Cale, Young Mistress Adara, let us go. It is our turn to enter the Plaza."

The Nobles had a higher spot than the normal citizens of the Roan Kingdom, and the Royal Family and the Holy Priests had a higher spot than everyone else.

Adara looked up at the Bell Tower. The Bell Tower had a giant clock on it, making it good for her since she had no pockets to store her golden pocketwatch in.

It was now time for the Nobles and Priests to enter. The Knights were preventing the citizens from entering to make room for the Nobility.

As Adara and Cale followed Eric, Amiru, and Gilbert, they looked around. There were so many people already there, Adara doesn't think she's ever seen that many people in one place before. The Plaza of Glory was also big, able to accommodate to many people and many more.

And since the Crown was limiting the number of people inside, some people were in shops or on the roofs of buildings nearby to get a glimpse at the King's Birthday.

Gilbert slowed down, walking alongside them now. "Young Master Cale, Young Mistress Adara, is this your first time at the Plaza of Glory?"

Cale nodded. "Yes. We briefly passed through it on my carriage, but it is our first time seeing all of it."

Adara continued looking around. Tea shop to the South. Inn to the West. Flower shop to the East. Top of Ceramist Association Building to the North, she thought, her eyes scanning these four places. "The Plaza is very big," she commented. "I cannot remember the last time I saw so many people."

Her eyes went to the Fountaine to the South. A young boy was waving a flag, as if he was welcoming the King. She knew who that young boy was. It was Lock.

Good, she thought. Things are going as planned. She felt a lot of eyes on her. But she knew two pairs of those would be Choi Han and the Black Dragon.

Both her and Cale's gazes went to the Bell Tower. It was 8:30 a.m.

"We are opening up a path now!" the Royal Knights called out, closing all the entrances to let the Nobles enter.

Both Adara and Cale snapped their fingers at that moment, the move seemingly random. The young boy who was waving the flag near the fountain disappeared. He was off with the others to find the hidden items.

"Everybody please take a seat over here!" the Royal Knight called out, showing the Nobles to the tables.

The seats were arranged in a specific manner, with everyone's names set in specific seats. The Royal Family were not in the Plaza yet. Not even the Crown Prince, who had left at the same time as the Nobles, was not in the Plaza yet.

As soon as they arrived at their seats, both Adara and Cale sent each other a look.

"We seem to run into each other a lot, Young Master Cale, Young Mistress Adara."

It was Taylor. His seat was in between Cale and Adara. Like at the Banquet, only now Cage was not here.

Cale responded plainly. "That does seem to be the case, Young Master Taylor."

Taylor sat in his seat, smiling at Adara. "It is much easier to toast now as well, isn't it, Young Mistress?"

Adara nodded, sitting down as well. "That it is, Young Master Taylor." I am afraid we might never get to toast, she thought.

Her eyes went back to the Bell Tower. There was supposed to be a bomb on the Bell Tower. But Choi Han had not been able to find it. She wondered what could have changed for that to be taken out of the original plan.

Well, she thought, I guess it is a good thing. Nobody will die by the crumbling of that building. Nobody will die. If they do their job right.

She calmed herself, reminding herself that the Mana Disturbance Tool was buried underneath the Bell Tower. She looked at the clock. It was 8:40 a.m. now.

"Cale," Eric said, getting Cale's attention. "Be still, okay?"

"Hyung-nim," Cale started, making Eric nervously flinch. "I will be very still today. We both will. We plan to do nothing at all."

Eric was captivated by Cale's voice, the low tones of it, how calming it was. He subconsciously nodded.

Adara ignored their conversation, looking back at the clock. 8:45 a.m.

The Black Dragon's voice popped up in both of their heads. '15 minutes left,' his voice said.

"The Stars of the Crossman Family, our Royal Family, are now entering!" came a loud announcement.

Adara and Cale, along with all of the Nobles, got up from their seats.

Only one entrance to the Plaza was open, the Royal Family walking through it. The Crown Prince was in the lead, the Second and Third Princes flanking his sides. The other Princes and Princesses walked in behind them.

The large group of royalty, their beautiful blonde hair glittering in the sunlight. This was the Royal Family that was blessed by the Sun God, the Pride of the Roan Kingdom.

The sounds of the cheering was loud, the sound hurting Adara's ears. All the citizens were cheering, while the Nobles were all clapping.

Adara kept her eyes on the Crown Prince, wondering again why he changed his appearance. She remembered something the Black Dragon had said after the Banquet.

The Crown Prince's hair and eyes are brown.

She had been tired when he had said it, on the point of falling asleep. Something had followed after that.

His skin as well.

His skin as well... she thought, repeating his words. Adara almost stopped clapping. His skin as well! Fuck!

Adara suddenly remembered a passage in an information report she had read. The Crown Prince's mother looked like a Southerner. She looked like a Southerner.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, she cursed repeatedly. He is a Dark Elf. Oh my fucking god. How did I not see this sooner? How did I not notice he was using Dead Mana? Of course, he changed his appearance, he did it for the same reason I did.

She calmed down. So he is the King's son then. But, of course, nobody would accept a Dark Elf on the throne. That is why he is so wary of the Second and Third Princes.

But then she calmed down even more. Recognising this as the mistake she had previously made, by assuming stuff too early with little evidence. I will... need to think about it more.

As she clapped, she sent Cale a mental message. 'The Crown Prince might be a Dark Elf,' she said. 'I am not sure, but I have my suspicions.'

Cale sent her a look but said nothing. It was 8:50 a.m. by now.

"His Highness, King Zed Crossman, the Sun of the Roan Kingdom, is now entering!"

The cheers became louder, Adara doing her best not to flinch.

The 50-year-old King entered the Plaza in his Parade Carriage. She watched him politely before her eyes moved to see a flower pot on top of the Ceramist Association Building to the North. It was 8:55 a.m.

They dismantled it, she thought, keeping her thoughts away from the secret identity of the Crown Prince. Rosalyn, the Black Dragon, On, and Hong were not hiding in the crowd in the Plaza.

She looked back at King Zed. She never really liked him when she was younger, when she had read about him in her books. Zed Crossman had risen to the position of King when he was 20, when the former King suddenly died. He used the time of peace to his advantage, killing his siblings off to solidify his position as King.

That King was walking up to the highest platform. He had his own special platform, in front of the Bell Tower.

Both the King and the Queen waved to the crowd. The Queen stood in front of her seat, while King Zed walked up to the magic vocal amplifier.

The King lifted up his hand, and the cheer slowly died down. It was a relief to Adara's ears.

Once the Plaza was completely quiet, the King started to speak. "It has already been 30 years since this King has received the Blessing of the Sun to rule over this Kingdom."

But Adara was not listening. Because it was now 9 a.m.

~~~

[A/N]: Hope you enjoyed the chapter, it is the longest chapter I have written as of now, coming in a close second is chapter 39.

I really enjoyed writing the Crown Prince's internal monologue, about Adara and her irresistibly sly smile. It started out as a little sentence, but it kinda went on from there.

Off-topic but it makes sense in the context, I've been a little tired of drawing since it requires a lot of time to do the sketching, the line art, the colouring in, the shading, etc. I would rather just skip to the colouring since something always goes wrong in the sketching and line art. So I've been looking at a few colouring pages recently and found a really pretty specifically for this chapter. Specifically the Crown Prince's internal monologue.

It was a lot of fun colouring it in. I did try drawing in her necklace, but that did not turn out right so I decided not to do it. And for those who want the original drawing:

I tried to reverse-search the image to find an artist to give credit to, but all it gave me was the drawing on FreePik. If anybody does know the artist, please tell me, so that I might give the credits where they belong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.9K 2.3K 13
[Completed] *Spoilers Ahead for Trash of the Count's Family* *Fanfic*
31.5K 1.6K 10
[Completed]Og!Cale Henituse attracts all kinds of people with his maxed out charisma stat...Unfortunately that includes kidnappers. Or a string of ba...
7.1K 628 8
What if after their world got destroyed OgChoi Han wakes up as OgCale's 'ghost' companion? Og Choi Han has been there since OgCale was a baby, taking...
8K 363 17
Maybe fate still gave him hope, another chance for redemption. "Master Cale, shall I throw them in the chambers?" "Go ahead. Make sure to prepare a f...