Trashes of the Counts' Famili...

By rileymilamo33

Adara Thornwin, the best friend of Cale Henituse, and possibly equally as Trash as him, decides to visit her... More

A/N
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
A/N
28
29
30
31
32
A/N
33
34
35
36
37
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
˗ ˏ ˋ❆ Winter Special ❆ ˎˊ ˗
˗ ˏ ˋ❆ (The Real) Winter Special ❆ ˎˊ ˗
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
Happy Anniversary!
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76

38

248 27 0
By rileymilamo33

Adara and Cale were drinking a bottle of wine, multiple stares being directed at them as they did so. Almost everyone recognised them, even the bartender was hesitant to serve them, but they paid no matter to them.

"Who exactly is Young Lady Amiru to you?" Cale asked, the image of Adara smiling so sickeningly sweetly came to mind.

Adara snorted at the question. "A failed seed," she responded.

He got the metaphor, remembering a morning they shared breakfast so long ago. "Ah, so she's not your Unnie."

She shrugged. "She thinks she is."

"What did she fail in?" he wondered, curious.

Adara shrugged again. "You read the investment plans. They are not going to work. The Crown Prince will not invest in them. If, instead of investing in tourism they would propose investing in a Navy, he would certainly invest in that. But she did not get my hints, as subtle as I tried to keep them."

Cale nodded, thinking hard. "Yes, a Navy would be very useful in the war." He looked at her, a new look in his eyes. "Your hints were too subtle, what if someone who was more direct would try it?"

She grinned. "Go ahead. Shoot your shot."

At 11 p.m. exactly, Choi Han and the Black Dragon came to the bar. Adara and Cale finished their wine, Choi Han drank his beer, and they went on their way home.

They went back the day after that, they found nothing.

Adara was now on the couch reading her book, Cale was still sleeping. He had the habit of sleeping until late. Adara couldn't sleep late, but in the past, it would take her well past noon to fully wake up, now, because of Vitality of the Heart, it made it very difficult for her to be tired.

It was past noon at this point, the sun streaming lazily through the slightly opened window.

The kittens were reading along with her, though they did not read the beginning with her, they found the book interesting now. They were asking a bunch of questions about the context and various characters who appeared. She answered as best she could, having to go into long discussions about why a certain character worded their sentence in that way and how it ties in with their character arc.

On was happy with those long discussions, clearly enjoying the discourse and how passionately Adara talked about the characters.

Hong was less so, he mainly wanted to get to the next page.

As they sat on the couch, reading all three of them, Adara heard footsteps approaching their door. Only, whereas multiple servants had walked past, some walking in to check if Cale was still sleeping, these footsteps were familiar to her.

They were Ron's.

True enough, a knock sounded at the door.

"Come in."

Cale, being a light sleeper, was starting to wake at the noise. She could tell by his breathing patterns.

The door opened and true enough, Ron came in. He watched the kittens and his Kitten Young Mistress with observant eyes. All three of them were looking at him, their bright golden eyes as bright as the gold of the reflecting chandelier, her dark eyes as dark as the night sky without the luminescence of the stars.

He smiled at them. "Good morning, Young Mistress."

She looked away from him, going back to her book. "Good morning, Ron."

Ron smiled again. He walked to his Young Master's bed, seeing the sleeping redhead with a frown. "Young Master, are you up?"

Cale frowned further, his voice coming out grumbled. "Ron..." He opened his eyes to stare at the old butler.

"I have returned," he said, with another smile. Ahh, why am I smiling so much? he wondered, the smile dropping. He handed Cale a letter. It was, in reality, addressed to both Cale and Adara, but Cale was the closest.

Cale opened the letter, read its contents quickly, sighed. He turned the letter so Adara could read it as well, while he turned to look at Ron. "Ron, go wrap up a bottle of our best wine."

Adara, from her distance on the couch, could read it perfectly fine. The first thing she saw, was that the letter had the crest of the Flynn Merchant Guild. The second, was the single sentence inside the letter.

[Young Master Cale and Young Mistress Adara, will you be treating me to alcohol soon?]

Oh, she thought suddenly. Of course, the greedy piggy bank is coming to meet us. Haa, we are so close to meeting the Crown Prince.

Ron nodded at Cale's order, but before he left he felt the need to remind them of one thing. "I understand. By the way, Young Master— Young Mistress—, you do remember that you have to visit the palace the day after tomorrow, right?"

Before the King would announce the start of the Festival in the Plaza, the Nobles were invited to meet with the Crown Prince a few days before. It was not a feast, nor a serious meeting, but something in between. It would take place in the Wing of the Palace where serious meetings took place, but there would be food for everyone. It was a Banquet, in essence.

Adara, remembering that this would be Taylor and Cage's big entrance, thought about them yet again. I hope they are doing well, she thought. She knew what it was like to make a big entrance. The Abandoned Son of Marquis Stan and the Crazy Priestess. With all the help we gave them, they are probably doing very well.

At the back of her neck, she felt a chill caressing her. She waved the chilled hand away, the feeling dissipating as well. Of course, cannot think of his other favourite child without being cold.

So she moved her thoughts to the Banquet. She knew Venion would be there, as would Neo Tolz. She wanted to bash both of their heads into a wall, but she wouldn't. Not physically.

And though Eric had asked her to be quiet, as had Amiru, she would need to deal with Venion or he would become more irritating. But it seemed she'd have to disguise her words into something more flowery than her usual blunt insults.

Thinking of Eric and Amiru, she looked at the table in front of her. There was a letter from both Eric and Amiru laying there, both of them addressed to the other Young Noble. Eric sent Cale a letter a day, the undertones in a clear worried tone. Amiru sent a letter every two days, her letters more carefully worded, one of them had the pretext of asking her how her Family was since she had no instance to ask at the Meeting.

Adara had wanted to burn the letter when it brought up her Family, the anger in her too great. But she didn't. She answered the letter with as much politeness as she could muster, though her answer was short. That was the only indication she gave to Amiru to not ask about her Family again.

Unnie would not have asked about my Family, Adara thought, comparing the two she named Unnie. Unnie knew about my Family. She knew not to ask. But Layla was a servant who cared for Adara, while Amiru was a Noble Lady who only heard about Adara's Family through rumours. I guess the comparison is not fair.

Ron broke her out of her thoughts. "Then I will make sure to have them wrap up a bottle of our best alcohol."

Cale nodded. "Good."

Ron left without another word.

Hong started tapping her stomach with his paw.

Her attention turned to him. "Yes?"

He pointed with a claw at a paragraph in the book she was holding. "Can we kill them like this?"

On chimed in as well. "I think it is a good method."

The question took her off guard for a second. Before she read the passage they were referring to and realised they meant to kill the Beast People as strong as those of the Wolf Tribe.

The passage in question was the protagonists detailing their plan to beat the antagonists who were much stronger than them. It was putting the emphasis on the need to use guerrilla tactics. Striking swiftly and effectively when their guards are low.

She nodded. "Yes, I guess it could work. Do you have any more specific ideas?"

On read the passage again. "I think we can kill them if they let their guard down!"

"I see a way we can kill them!" Hong added.

Adara chuckled, turning to Cale who was standing up by now. "Did you hear? Our children are thinking very hard on how to kill those with low chances of being killed."

Cale felt it was a bit too early to be talking about murder, but when he was surrounded by so many vicious people he should've expected it by now. "Good job," he said absentmindedly, the kittens puffing out at his praise. He yawned. "What time is it?"

She took her pocket watch from her chest pocket, opening the gold watch she said, "It is 13:32. You slept until late, we have not had breakfast yet."

He waved a hand at her, walking to sit next to her on the couch. "Do not wait for me for breakfast. Just eat as soon as you guys want."

Adara had a small smile on as she nodded. "Of course, we cannot feel hungry anymore. But the kittens do need to eat."

On moved to Adara's shoulder, licking Adara's cheek before she answered. "Hans gave us some jerky today. But I like your food more."

Hong climbed onto Cale's shoulder, but Cale immediately took him off and placed him in Adara's lap. Hong tried again, he crawled into Cale's lap and rolled around on his back. Cale sighed, dejectedly giving Hong a belly rub.

"I thought only dogs liked to get belly rubs," Cale muttered.

Hong looked at him, suddenly incredulous. "Does that mean I'm a dog?"

On peered down at her brother from her high position on Adara's shoulders. "No, silly, you're a cat."

The door opened again and Ron came in. "Young Master and Mistress."

They turned to look at Ron. "What?" they both said.

Ron looked at them with a look in his eyes. "May I go as both of your personal servants to the palace?"

Cale made a face. "Why are you asking such an obvious question? Who would go if it wasn't you?"

Adara shrugged with one shoulder. "I thought it was a given."

Their answers helped Ron make up his mind to leave.

There was a group of people who called themselves 'Arm'. 'Arm' was just one limb of the organisation, nobody knew their true identity, or if they even had a name. They ruled the Eastern Continent's Underworld and were starting to expand their limbs to the Western Continent.

The Molan Family was a fifth-generation assassin household that sought to rule the night in the Eastern Continent. They were precisely the type of household Adara would have sold most of her poison to. And Ron Molan, the successor to the Molan Family, hated and feared this 'Arm'.

"Young Master and Mistress."

"What?"

"You two will be very cool in the palace," he said.

Adara raised an eyebrow. Why is he flattering us? It is more like Hans to do such a thing.

"Ron," Cale said with a smile. "I do have a handsome face and figure, don't I?"

Adara snorted along with the kittens, though they could not disagree. Cale was a handsome man with a very slick figure.

A very warm and caring voice entered their ears. "Of course. Our Young Master is the full package."

Cale's smile disappeared quickly. What did I just hear right now? he wondered, turning to look at Ron. It sounded almost like Ron was playing along with him. Ron himself had a satisfied smile on his face. It wasn't the same smile he had on when he was pretending to be satisfied. Cale felt chills all over his body.

"Ah, but let's not forget the Young Mistress," Ron said with a smile. "You also have a very attractive face and figure."

Adara only stared at Ron, her face a cold statue, though she was inwardly wondering what Ron was playing at.

Ron did not care to indulge her and continued on with his duties. "Then, I will head out for now. I need to go report to Deputy Butler Hans."

Cale blinked. "Oh? Oh. Go ahead, quickly."

Ron left, leaving only the 4 individuals in the room.

Cale turned to Adara with a frown on his face. "Why is he acting like this?"

Adara started to open her mouth, but Cale interrupted her.

"Nevermind. I don't want to know why. What good would come from being interested in Ron's life?" he wondered out loud.

Adara snorted again before she turned to the door. Someone was walking towards them, someone whose footsteps she didn't recognise. Of course, it could be a servant but—.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Smells like a wolf," Hong stated.

Ah, she thought. It is Lock. "Come in," she called.

The door slowly opened, an awkward wolf boy stood tall behind it. Lock hesitated, glancing at Adara then at Cale, before he started to speak. "Hello, I— I came to thank you. I didn't know when would be a good time to stop by, so, if it is okay with you, may I come in for a bit?"

Cale waved him inside. "Come in."

Lock carefully closed the door, making sure not a single sound could be heard. He approached them, a nervous expression on his face.

Since he was slightly hovering around them, Adara pointed to the couch across from them. "Take a seat," she said, closing her book and setting it on the table.

"Thank you," Lock squeaked, sitting on the couch almost immediately. He peeked slightly at the two, not knowing what to do or say. Unlike before, when he was reminded of his Uncle by the two across from him, he now thought they had an aura that made it difficult to approach them.

It was not because they appeared strong like his Uncle was, but simply because they were staring at him like a hawk watching their prey. There was nothing particularly strong-looking about them at all in fact, it was just their aura.

"Say what it is on your mind," Cale said bluntly.

"You see," Lock paused to think about his words. Deciding on them, he jumped out of his seat and bowed towards them. "Thank you very much!"

Adara observed the bowing child in front of her. He is 13, she thought. Too young to have gone through what he went through. She had a soft spot for children, she knew it. But she and Cale needed something specific to come out of this conversation. She could not give everything just because he asked for it.

"Of course," she said, taking his thanks causally. "I would definitely think it warrants a 'very much', there is very much to be thankful for."

Lock sat back down, an odd expression on his face. "Excuse me? Ah, yes it does."

Cale watched him for a second. "No need to thank us anymore, you can go."

Lock shook his head slightly. "Ah, well, actually—" He paused again. He looked at his feet. He heard so many stories, stories from Roslayn, the two Cat Tribe kittens currently in their arms, Choi Han, and even a few stories from Hans. All of those stories made him think things through over and over. He had not decided on something to say yet, even after all his thinking.

"Well, Young Master and Mistress, you see—." He wasn't sure how to start. He was still looking at his feet, peeking to look at the two Nobles across from him but never looking them in the eye. It was in moments like these, when he could not look people in the eye and all he could do was bite his lips, that he did not quite like his personality.

"Spit it out."

He looked up, startled. "Excuse me?" He was startled, both because of their cold voices but also because they said it at the same time. It was not melodic like the last time he heard their unified voices, it was unnerving.

But when he looked up, he made eye contact with the both of them. His reddish-brown eyes, her pitch-black ones. They both maintained eye contact with the wolf boy.

Adara nodded. "Good job. When you are talking to someone, more importantly when you want to ask them something or you are indebted to them, you should always maintain eye contact. Most Nobles would take it as a slight to them if you don't make eye contact."

Lock swallowed, wondering for a moment if he slighted them, but their expressions did not say anything of the matter.

"Spit out everything you want to say," Cale spoke up, wanting for Lock to get to the point. "We will at least listen to what you have to say."

Lock let out a small gasp, he stopped fidgeting with his hands and started to speak. "I— I am the older brother." His voice came out weak. "I need to take care of my younger siblings."

Lock knew he was not qualified to be called a member of the Wolf Tribe. But he did have 10 younger siblings he needed to care for and protect, whether he could be called a Wolf or not.

"I was also a nephew and a younger brother."

The Blue Wolf Tribe had loved and cherished the cowardly and stupid Lock, despite his flaws. He would not forget all his family and friends, nor his neighbours. He could not forget those who cared for him so much. Those who were now burnt to a crisp, rotting somewhere where he could not see them.

"That is why I need to get my revenge."

He needed to pay them back for everything they took from him.

He had ignored his shaking hands and said whatever had come to his mind. When he was finished, he felt his head clear up. He could think easier now. He bowed his head, looking back to his feet and the carpet.

"Young Wolf Boy."

He heard their unnerving voices, looking up at them. Cale Henituse and Adara Thornwin. Cale, the owner of this large residence that Lock couldn't even think of when he lived in his village, Adara Thornwin, someone who owned a large residence that almost rivalled this one, these two someones who Hyung-Choi Han said were worth betting at least ⅔'s of his life on. Such two people were directly across from him, bluntly speaking to him.

"You are a Wolf."

At their words, Lock could recall many past memories. Memories of his life in the Blue Wolf Tribe.

"Wolves protect their families and put them first, before even themselves. We consider them to be a Tribe to be proud of."

Lock could see a smiling face in front of him.

"We have heard what you wanted to say."

Lock could see everything in the room clearly. Every minuscule detail to the two's faces, every shuffle in their clothing, every crease, he could see the two cute Cat Tribe kittens, the sunlight streaming through the windows, the hazy atmosphere it created, the light reflecting on the two Nobles' faces. It was peaceful.

He also finally remembered the words he had thought out so much, the words he wanted to say, the words he needed to say. "Thank you very much for your help. And... please help me."

Cale shook his head. "Once was enough for the thanks."

Most of Cale's worries, especially because he wanted to live a quiet life, was Choi Han and the Black Dragon. Of course, the Black Dragon was, well, a dragon, but Choi Han was the bigger worry because of the people he brought back with him.

Adara, while having worries about the people Choi Han brought with him, was not so hell-bent on having a quiet life. She would never be able to have a quiet life while she was plagued by assassins and trying to be Count. There were too many strings to be pulled.

"We do not wish to help you," Cale said, continuing on with his words.

Cale and Adara's plan, was to not be fully responsible for the 10 Wolf Children. They were already half-responsible and they were going to take accountability for their responsibilities. But not for all of it.

Cale, who experienced the feeling of losing his parents and their support, who understood the pain they were going to, was different from Adara. 

She never had any support from her parents. Her mother might as well be dead at this point and nothing would change. And if her father were to die tomorrow, she would only lament that she'd have to cut her trip to the Capital short to go back to the North-East to convince everyone to let her be Count.

She never knew what loving her parents felt like. Sure, she loved Priest Charlie and Unnie, but they were not of her blood. She never knew what it was like to lose the support and love of her parents, because she never had gotten any support and love in the first place.

"However," Adara spoke, "we do want to make a deal with you."

Lock frowned lightly, hesitating. "A deal?"

"Yes," Cale confirmed. "What do you need help with? And what can you do for us in return?"

Neither Cale nor Adara had the time to teach this wolf boy the tricks of negotiating, nor help along the way. Choi Han and Rosalyn would have to help him with that. Adara and Cale got up from their seat on the couch. They would need to take care of a few more things before going to the Palace.

"Come back to us when you have your answers," Adara said, looking down at Lock.

Lock looked up at her before he stood up and bowed his head. "I understand. I will come back to see you two when I have figured things out."

"Sure," Cale said.

Adara patted Lock's head, his hair fluffy when not sticking to his forehead. She could not resist it, he was adorable.

He looked up at her again when he did that, a determined look in his eyes. She had a feeling the deal would be quite beneficial on both sides.

~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.4K 2.3K 10
Billos Flynn. Nobody suspected him to be one of the hunters that are after the redhead hero's life. They trusted him, and so did Cale. What Cale expe...
7.5K 431 11
Choi Han woke up right next to the man that he once beat to a pulp. The last thing he remembered is fighting against the white star and now he was ly...
37.8K 1.9K 26
📌 ONGOING White star tried to summon a demon but instead summoned kim rok soo? Will krs get his slacker life? (no) And why are these people calli...
31.5K 1.6K 10
[Completed]Og!Cale Henituse attracts all kinds of people with his maxed out charisma stat...Unfortunately that includes kidnappers. Or a string of ba...