The Wanderer

By Bloodline_Xox236

Asteria, a young, 16 year old girl who woke up with no memories of herself. She has a hard time remembering s... More

Asteria
Treehouse
Trust Too Easily
Can Of Peanuts
Make An Enemy Into Your Friend
King Of Snakes
Mechanical Heart
Electric Love
Harmonize
The Royal Blacksmiths
New Roomate
The Power Within
All Or Nothing
The Great Devourer
Giant Snake Problem
Fall Of The Great Devourer
Starting From The Bottom
What You Have Is What You Need
Dareth
There Be Pirates
Pirates Versus Ninja
The Cake Is A Lie
Double Trouble
Ninjaball Run
Child's Play
Wrong Place
Wrong Time
Unresolved Wounds
Stone Army Uprising
Voyage To Sea
Lighthouse In The Storm
Preparation
Lights That Shine In A Dark Place
Countdown
Dawn Of A New Era
Resurgence
Silent Fist
Off The Grid
Broken Bonds
Golden Curse
Digitalize
Sibling Bond
Among The Stars
The Two Losses
The Unknown Element
Off The Island
One Can Remain
Stuck In The Present
The Visit
Where Paths Collide
Stiix
The Temple
Onto Cloud Kingdom!
Morro
Kidnapped
Curse World
Fame? Or Frame?
Public Enemy
Return Of Sky Pirates
The Island
Escape
A Last Resort
The Wish
The Encounter
Cyrus Borg
Zane
Ed & Edna
The Attack
The Sewers
The Swamp
Gone
The Palace
Serpentine Child
Samurai X
Found
The Quiet One
Resurrection
Garmadon
Oni And Dragons
Lost
Dragon
Power
Heavy Metal
Chased
Captured
FirstBorne
Home
The Black Cloud
Oni
The Proposal
Lazying Around
The New Enemy
Serpentine History
Sacrifice
Farewell, For Now
Never Realm
Fire-Maker
Traveller's Tree
The Land Bounty
Returning
Prime Empire
New Friend
I Am Okino!
Dance-Off
Speedway
Final Keytana
Unagami
Shintaro
Princess Vania
Failed Rescue
Story Of The Two Blades
Fight For Love
Grief Bringer
The Dragonoid Form
Father's Day
Twitchy Tim
Island Of The Keepers
The Gift
Uncontrollable Water
The Signal
Under The Sea
Recharging The Battery
The Merlopians
Benthomaar's Story
The Storm Amulet
Ninjago City
The Goodbyes
Home
Saving Nya
Freeing The Ninja
The Oni Form
Harbor
The End Of The Overlord
Reunited
Land Of The Three Mountains
Crossroads Carnival
Kai And Nya
Cloud Kingdom
Imperium
Dragon Power
The Temple
ArraKore
Golem
Hoarder
The Empress
Only The Beginning
Chronosteel
The Mechanic, Again
The Cook-Off
Nightmares
Battle At Cloud Kingdom
Visions

Follow The Wind

203 3 0
By Bloodline_Xox236

Riding through the night, the stars and scenarios blurred as I raced to the area marked on my map. My frantic heartbeat overshadowed by the loud hum of the motorcycle's engine.

No matter how fast I revved on the gas, I wasn't going as fast as I wanted. It was as though I was trapped in an endless dream. Desperately trying to move forward yet stuck in place.

I wish it was a dream. So, I could wake up from this "fake" reality and find everything and everyone in their usual routines. Jay and I playing video games or training on the destiny's bounty, hanging out or working on their hobbies.

Lastly, Lloyd laughing or hanging out with us. Not possessed against his will.

All in all, I'd rather wake up to a vastly different reality compared to the current one my mind conjured when I received the Bounty's distress signal.

The image of the Bounty's wreckage with pieces strewn about the scene came to mind. My friends amidst the wreckage- No, don't think about it. They're alright. They have to be. Please.

Engulfed by this narrow-headed fear and urgency to find my friends and brother, I didn't even notice the passing cycle of night to day and the change in scenery from road to forest.

From a distance, I was able to make out the red paint of the Destiny's Bounty's stern tilted upward. My breathing grew frantic as the bike sped up.

More of the crashed ship came into view causing me to anticipate what I was to find.

The motorcycle only started to slow down when I was close enough to see figures standing by the hull of the ship near a campfire.

My motorcycle came to a complete halt just outside the camp. I didn't immediately move as my eyes gazed at the occupants of the camp, quickly counting and making sure not a single head is missing.

Someone called my name, but it fell on deaf ears.

It was only after everyone was accounted for that relief washed over me and I remembered how to breathe. My shoulders relaxed as a small, relieved smile broke out onto my face.

Despite this, my heart still pounded with adrenaline as I stood and dismounted from my motorcycle, my limbs trembling in the process.

I stumbled forward, almost tripping over my feet in the process as I practically crashed into the first figure closest to me. Tears pricked in my eyes as I pratically crashed into my friends and brother pulling as many of them into a tight embrace.

It was a short-lived embrace, with me pulling out to look at everyone. Those I clung to consisted of Kai, Jay, Cole, Zane and Nya while the others consisting of Dareth, Sensei Wu and Misako were much farther away, watching the exchange with varying levels of concern.

"You're all okay..." I mutter under my breath as a shaky sigh escaped my lips. I cupped my brother's face, checking to see if he had any injuries but he was okay.

I sighed and let go. My eyes flicker from those in the back to my friends in front of me. "I-I saw Lloyd. But something is wrong with him. He's being possessed by a ghost called Morro" I stuttered out, the words spilling from my mouth before I could even process them. I looked to my friends completely lost as I speak, my hands trembling as they move while I speak. "I saw the distress signal late, and he said I'd find you guys at the bottom of a mountain- I'm sorry I wasn't here e-"

Nya interrupts my frantic rant by gently grabbing both my hands in hers, softly squeezing them. "Hey, Asteria, it's alright. We're all okay" she comforts. The gesture stopping my train of thought and allowing me to ground myself back to the moment, I let out a deep breath.

Upon noticing my shoulders, she lets my hands go. I let out another sigh before speaking again. "What happened here and why is Lloyd being possessed?" I question.

From Morro knocking on their doorstep in search of Wu's staff to the staff having imprinted symbols which can lead them to a tomb of the first spinjitzu master. A tomb which holds something powerful and shouldn't fall into the wrong hands.

As for the reason why Lloyd was possessed, no one has a clue.

They were able to flee and record the symbols before handing the staff off to the ghost to get Morro off their backs. Now all that is left is to decipher the symbols and follow the breadcrumbs laid out by the first spinjitzu master.

Oh, and the ninja lost their powers. Again.

"We can tell you more once you've rested up a bit" Kai says patting me on the back as I stand there processing all this information.

"Yeah, and I hope you're not afraid of ghost stories" Jay pipes in lightheartedly to lighten the mood.

If Morro had such an easy time against the ninja, especially with using the green ninja's body and the power that comes with it, why did he take my spell book?

Come to think of it, Morro was very hasty to finish my fight with him, even using my relationship with the ninja and to an extent Lloyd to distract me. By the ninja's account fighting him, Morro seems to fight straightforwardly, using physical underhanded tactics, not verbal ones. It seems like he wanted the fight to end quickly.

Morro even tried having one of his subordinates capture me, so I don't get in his way.

It's possible he might know something and thus see me as a threat. There must be more to this.

I tune back into the conversation and overheard Nya pleading with Wu to let her go with the ninja to find the scroll of Airjitzu. Of course, the Sensei's words being final, and she has to stay back.

That name sounds familiar.

"The ninja are heading out to Stiix to find the scroll" Misako informed me. "You can hang back with the rest of us at the tea shop while we work on repairs and decipher the next clues on the scroll."

That's why the scroll of Airjitzu sounded so familiar.

I slightly nod and turn to the ninja who were preparing their wallopers for the trip. With not a lot of time, I pull myself together and approach my motorcycle.

Pressing a button and letting it fold up into a silver suitcase, I carried it into the camp. I exchanged pleasantries with Dareth who was cleaning up a stew. I soon found the girl in red.

She was sitting on a log with her arms crossed and pouting when I approached.

"Hey Nya, can I ask a favor?" I ask as she perks up, her light brown eyes meeting my red and orange ones.

"Why? What is it?" She asks curiously with a slight tilt of her head.

I present the silver suitcase. "I think I messed up my motorcycle while rushing over here" I explain "Can you take a look and do some maintenance for me? You know the model best."

Nya cocks a cheeky smirk "Of course I do. I am the one that built this for you" she retorts and snatches the suitcase from me. "I'm on the case. Literally. And since I'm stuck staying behind, I can still help with what I do best" she pumps her fist confidently.

I match her confidence with a grateful smile.

"Thank you, I'll pay you back. How does cookies sound? You like them chewy right?" I ask thoughtfully.

Her features soften and she nods. "Yeah, it is." She says before asking "Are you leaving with the others? You better come back safe and make my cookies."

"Yeah, someone's gotta watch their backs. And don't worry, I won't forget about your cookies" I chuckle and bid goodbye to the girl in red before finding the ninja.

Pushing my growing worries aside, I approach the four and their wallopers. "When are you guys leaving? I wanna come along" I inquire. "You can also tell me more about our enemy on the way."

"We're just about to head out, but are you sure? You don't look so well" Cole said from atop his walloper.

I shrugged off his concern with a smile despite my growing weariness and head wound. "I'm alright. I also know how to get to Stiix. We shouldn't delay because at his rate we won't get there until nightfall" I said.

"We only have four wallopers, so it looks like you'll have to ride with someone" Zane adds in.

I only shrugged "Eh, fine with me. I can take a nap on the way." Flicking my gaze over to my brother, I ask "Is it alright if I ride with you?"

He looked "Yeah, of course. Does this mean you're rejoining the team?"

I got on his walloper from behind and frowned "I'll have to think about it." And we all departed from the camp.

~~~

The first twenty minutes along the journey was spent bickering among ourselves. Mainly about what direction we needed to and Kai trying to proclaim that he was the leader of the group.

It took me telling them to knock it off for their bickering to cease.

"Stiix is on the east coast and by the looks of it, we're heading in that direction" I said after checking the high-tech watch on my wrist.

"It's funny" Cole said, daring to speak up first after getting scolded. "This was the direction you came from Asteria" he notes making me stiffen.

This didn't go unnoticed. With mine and Jay's backs touching on the walloper, he felt the way my shoulders stiffened.

It was quiet for a few moments until Zane spoke "I'm curious Asteria. How do you know how to get to Stiix? Have you been there before?"

"I'm asking in case we need to look out for any particular landmarks or obstacles we may find on our journey" he further explains.

Breaking eye contact, I glanced at the ground as a hum escaped my lips. "No, nothing should really get in the way" I said thinking aloud. "If we follow the roads, we'll find a biker tavern amidst some rice patty farms along the way. Other than that, a lot of uninhabited land to be honest." I shrug and checked my watch again.

"As for why I would go to Stiix..." I trailed off and my wings tensed.

"I went there looking for a spell book or a lead to where I'd find one. It's also why I wasn't here to help you guys fight off Morro" I said with my eyes down casted.

"I'm sorry."

Jay turned his head to look at me with worried eyes alongside the fire and earth ninja.

Zane's mouth formed into a thing line as he gazed at me intently.

He breaks the silence by saying my name firmly. "You and I both know that's not all of it."

My head shot up as he adds "I saw you on the footage."

Jay looked at him confused. "Zane what are you talking about? What footage?" He asks as Kai's eyes widen.

"You don't mean..." He mutters and looked at me. I respond by averting my head in shame, refusing to see anyone's expression.

Zane's gaze softened. "You can be honest with us Asteria, please, just tell us what happened" he gently encourages, his robotic voice calm with compassion seeping through.

"Why didn't you bring this up before?" Kai questions the nindroid.

"Because I think we should hear her side of the story before someone judges or jumps to unnecessary conclusions" Zane reasons. "And I thought it would be better to not say anything with Misako present. Tensions are already high and her judgment towards Asteria would do more harm than good."

I deeply sighed "I wasn't lying when I said I went to Stiix looking for a spell book. I didn't tell you guys because I didn't want to cause trouble or worry anyone."

"Since it is a city for thieves and criminals, I didn't want to get judged either" I continue, my voice firm and pensive.

"And to be honest, I didn't want Lloyd to hear about my search for another spell book in case he burns that too..." My voice trails off dryly.

The four grew quiet. Cole was the first to break the silence, asking the question that was all on their minds.

"...Did you find anything there?" He asked hesitantly.

I fidget with my hands and nod my head. "Yeah, I did" I say as a thin lined crossed my features, my head still looking down. "I got really lucky because from this book of spells, it was casted by a Dragon. Best part, it has a spell that I think will restore my memories."

The amount of excitement and emotion coursing through all four of them was almost electrifying.

"What?!"

"That's fantastic!"

"Wait, are you for real?!"

"Do you have it with you?" Zane inquires.

I only sigh "We'll get to that part." The four deflate as I continue. "I found it at a pawn shop owned by a thief called Ronin. I assume you guys know him."

"Huh, know him? He almost left us for dead once!" Kai scoffs, tightening his grip on his walloper's horns.

"Ronin was also the one that captured and sold me off to Chen" Zane adds in.

My wings tensed and I growled "What?"

"Did he exploit you?" Cole questioned before I could even start ranting.

"Maybe..." My wings closed up and I winced from my left broken wing. "He definitely took advantage of my desperation, and I didn't really care enough about the price. I didn't have enough since I didn't take it all with me, he threatened to tell you guys about the book and my visit if I didn't pay up. If I chose to steal it, he would have followed me back home until he got his money."

"So you played his game so we wouldn't find out, or as to not cause trouble?" Kai asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Both" I reply. "He offered me a deal and it would cover the rest of my debt."

"By helping him steal the scroll of Airjitzu..." Jay uttered out, shocked.

I nod firmly "The deal was I help him get in and out of the library without getting caught by using my powers. The scroll was worth more to him than a book containing a dying medium."

"I know what I did was bad but...You all remember what happened at the Corridor of Elders, I couldn't let this slip through my hands again."

It was dead silent as the soft trots of the wallopers filled in the gaps.

"So yeah...I took the deal, and it was successful. Ronin walked away with the scroll, and I got my book" I huffed and leaned into Jay's back.

"I had it in my hands. Then Morro showed up at the tavern I was at, and he took it from me while I was distracted."

"I didn't even have it for ten minutes..." I hissed under my breath.

"Morro used Lloyd against you, didn't he?" Kai asks, but I stayed silent only responding with the words "No one deserves to be used against their will..."

I wasn't fooling anyone. My silence said it all.

"Why would he take it? What could he want that's in it?" Jay voiced his worries aloud.

I only shrugged, replying "I have no idea. I didn't pay attention to the other spells, so your guess is as good as mine."

"This is mildly concerning" Zane adds in. I sighed "I'm sorry for lying and disappointing you guys by stealing the scroll. I didn't want to. I was selfish and impulsive, and because of me, Morro has the spell book and there's no limit to what he can do with it" I say remorsefully. "I didn't want to ruin our friendship again, I should've done something, anything different-"

"I'm sorry."

It was quiet until Zane put a reassuring hand on my head. "I remember when I was rebuilt and could only remember fragments at the time" Zane reminisces. "Though my understanding is different to yours, I still wouldn't wish that uncertainty and emptiness on anyone." He retracts his hands when my eyes met his.

"Regardless of your intentions, they only provide context, and they don't erase the fact you helped steal the scroll. While he would have done it anyways, you still involved yourself in it" the nindroid finishes, his voice sympathetic and firm.

Cole smirked confidently "So once this is all over and we save Lloyd, get your book back and beat Morro, we'll return the scroll to the library and frame Ronin" he said earning a snicker from Jay.

Zane turned to me "There's something we still need to know" he begins. "Do you know what Ronin was planning to do with the scroll? Does he still have it?"

"He didn't say anything specific. Probably selling it to the highest bidder. We finished the job last night so he should still have it" I inform them earning affirmative nods from the four.

"Then we shouldn't waste daylight. I say let's pick up the pace!" Kai proclaimed and pointed ahead.

At those words, his walloper decided to slow down. So slow in fact, it would've been faster to walk. We laughed at his expense.

~~~

The sun had long set by the time me and the ninja stumbled upon some train tracks thanks to Zane's valuable perceptiveness. We had followed the tracks heading to Stiix until luck would have me and a train came passing by heading in that direction.

We were successful in boarding the train, setting the wallopers free in the process.

We managed to settle in one of the cars amidst the cargo. The train won't arrive at our destination until morning. This gave some time for some respite before setting off again.

Sitting criss cross in the doorway of the open train car, I basked in the cool night breeze with my eyes closed. My wings relaxed against the floor.

I could sense the ninja behind me situated deeper inside the car. Not needing to turn around, I could feel their auras and estimate where they were in position to me.

Kai sat on the floor with his back against a crate to my right while Cole laid across a series of crates with his back resting against one.

Zane sat criss cross in the center of the car on the floor while Jay sat atop a crate on my left with his back against the train car wall.

It was quiet, save for the clattering of the wheels against the train tracks. Surreal, yet suffocating when I pay to close attention to the noise.

Rifling through my thoughts, where do I even begin to process the events of the past two days?

I'll never get used to how quickly events seem to play out around me. A normal day could turn on its head and flip life upside down and around.

A sigh escapes my lips as the aches of yesterday pull at my heart and rush to my face.

The sounds of my surroundings would begin to blur into the background as my mind drifts into a dream like disaccociated state.

A familiar warm presence sits and takes the spot next to me. Their legs dangling off the side of the train car. A shining crimson aura emanating from beside me.

"Something on your mind Kai?" I say without opening my eyes, resting them a little longer. I could feel the worry radiating from the fire ninja.

"How do you know it's me?" He asked before quickly adding "I mean, we already know about your ability to sense our life forces or auras, but how could you tell it was me?"

"Your aura matches you" I say and further explain. "From it encompassing your entire silhouette, spiky hair and all, and how it glows red." I open my eyes to look at him, a small forced smile forming on my lips "I can tell from a mile away."

"His is red? What's mine?" Jay pipes in curiously as I look at him.

"What do you think? Electric blue." I respond wholeheartedly, some fondness seeping into my words.

I turn my body so that I can address Kai and the others better. "Most people's auras are gray, unless they have elemental power or some other factor."

"Like what?" Cole questioned, leaning slightly forward from his spot.

"Lloyd's soul is usually the same shade of green as his gi, so I was able to pick up something was wrong because his aura was a darker shade than usual" my eyes drift to the other ninja as I spoke. These were only observations I've made.

I got up from my spot on the floor, my friend's eyes following my form as I stand in the middle of the room. "I was also able to figure out a ghost's weakness" I say piquing their interest.

"It's water and for some reason-"

I held my hand up and summoned an ethereal sword to let them see. It is much more transparent and duller compared to the one I used before.

"Motto's ghost henchman wasn't able to pass through my sword or shields."

Jay immediately jumped to his feet. "You can summon water?! You're basically like a ghost fighting machine!"

I couldn't tell if that was sarcastic or not because I lost to Morro who is a ghost. Though his enthusiasm was genuine.

Zane tilted his head curiously "How does it work? Can you make more?"

"It's kind of difficult to make" I replied as I move the sword in my grasp and point the hilt towards my brother. "Try holding it" I instructed him.

The moment I let go of the sword, it dissipated in his grasp.

"Looks like it needs my touch to keep the form stable" I hum to myself as my hands fall to my sides. "That's all so far" I say to the others and sit back down in my spot by Kai.

"That's all so far" I say to the others and sit back down in my spot by Kai.

The others went to rest and slowly fell asleep.

I noticed Kai looking down at his hands, I sensed from his aura sadness and guilt. I frowned.

I looked forward facing outside and my right wing wrapped around Kai bringing him close. His eyes widened and he looked up at me.

"You're upset because of not being able to help Lloyd, right?" I asked and I saw him frown and look away.

"Yeah..." he uttered and I leaned my head on top of his as my wing hugged him. "Hey..." I said and Kai looked up at me.

"It's gonna be okay."

~~~

Author's Edit: Oct 13, 2023

~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 372 73
Ninjago isn't just protected by the beloved ninja force. In the shadows lurk hidden heroes, poised and ready to strike. Aurora is the leader of a gro...
742 24 6
I don't own Ninjago, LEGO does! Also, this wasn't my original idea it was @Lordexploionmurder idea. Even though I'm planning for this story for the p...
2.5K 43 15
Y/N, a 16 year old girl, adopted by master wu after her mother was killed by her evil step father. She is a helper to the ninja and is the master of...
88.7K 2.9K 34
When (y/n) was 7, her and her family lived in the amazing city of New York. However, after learning that (y/n) was leaving the house in the middle of...