TWENTY

The Chalamet cousins arrived inside the theater with ease. Carla was following Zach to find their seats until she spotted her best friend. She looked in the direction he was staring at only for her heart to ache. There was the guy she needed to forget with the girl she absolutely couldn't stand. Carla knew she couldn't stay mad at Shane forever, so she did what she had to do.

"C'mon. The show's about to start." Carla smiled at Shane as they both took their seats. Carla in the middle, Zach to her left, Shane to her right.

Throughout the performance, Carla couldn't help but wonder if that will ever be her on stage. If she would ever make it in the world of dance or if all the time and dedication she's been doing has been a complete waste of time.

After the performance, there was an after-party. But what Carla didn't expect was to see her mother here.

"Mother?" Carla asked.

"Darling." Claudia pulled her daughter into a hug. "Zachary."

"Hey Mama C." Zach says.

"Kids this is choreographer, Henley James."

"Pleasure."

"I've heard very good things about both of you at Archer." Henley said. "Maybe if you two have time, I would be delighted to have you in my class."

"It would be an honor sir." Carla smiled.

"Great. I'll have my people call your people." He said as he and Carla's mother walked away.

"Did that just happen?" Zach asked.

"I think it just did." Carla nodded.

"Carla." The one voice she did not want to talk to right now. "Hey Zach." All Zach did was nod at the boy.

"I'm gonna go get us some food. Be right back." And with that he walked away, leaving the two alone. 

"You look beautiful." Oren complimented the girl.

"Thanks." Carla said sipping on her champagne.

"You've been avoiding me."

"I have not."

"Yes you have."

"Why do you care so much?" Carla snapped.

"Are you really asking me that question?"

"Yes I am because if you did you would have told me about you and Shane." Oren gulped not expecting that to be the reason why they haven't been talking.

"How did you know?"

"Shane told me." Carla said. "At least he has more balls than you."

"Look I wanted to tell you. I really did. But---."

"But what Oren?" Carla cut him off. "I'm not angry with what you guys did. No. I'm more angry about the fact that you played his heart."

"What?"

"Shane already has issues with people treating him like crap and never in a million years would he expect it to be by one of his best friends."

"It's not my fault he caught feelings."

That made Carla angry. "Do you even fucking hear yourself? Sex is a two way street Oren. Now I don't know what the hell went down, but if you wanted it to stop, you would have stopped it a long time ago or not even start it in the first place. It's not Shane's fault he caught feelings. I mean could you blame him?"

"Carla..."

"It's okay to feel whatever it is you're feeling. It doesn't make you less of a person. But don't blame other people for your doing just because you're scared. Everyone's scared Oren. Hell I'm scared. My best friend is fighting for her life right now and she could die and I can't even remember the last time I talked to her."

"You're right." Oren nodded. "I'm so fucking scared Carls."

"So tell someone. Anyone. And don't keep leading Shane on with this game, hell even Bette too. I might hate the girl but she doesn't deserve this. Nobody does."

"What happens if all those people are just a distraction?" Oren admitted.

"A distraction? From what?"

"You."

"Oren..." Carla shook her head. 

"Carls I love you and I don't think I'll ever stop loving you. You make me feel sane. You make me forget about all the problems in my life. I just want things to go back to normal."

Carla shook her head. "Oren, you can't say you love me but then go back to Bette the next day. It doesn't work that way. So if you truly did love me, you'll do the right thing and break up with her and stop whatever it is you're doing with Shane. And when that all happens, you'll know where to find me." Carla said, taking one last look at her first love before heading for the door.

There was no way in hell she was staying. 

✄-----------------------------

edited: august 24, 2021