FORTY-ONE

"Hey stranger." Shane smiled at the girl, sitting down across from her with his coffee. "I didn't expect you here."

"I needed to clear my head." Carla said.

Shane nodded and sipped on his coffee. "I saw you talking to Oren in the hallway after class, what was that about?"

"And I also saw you talking to torso dude in the hallway but you don't see me asking you about that." Carla sassed.

Shane put his hands up. "Okay chill. I just wanted to see if you wanted to talk about it that's all. You didn't have to be a smartass. And besides, his name is Jason, not torso dude, at least not anymore."

Carla sighed. "Oren and I kinda had an argument a few days ago."

"That would explain his pissy mood that one day."

"I told him I love him."

"What?" The boy's eyes widened.

"Officer Cruz asked where I was during Cassie's accident. She also told me Oren said he was with Bette. So I had the option to either tell her the actual truth or go with whatever bullshit story Oren said."

"And you chose to say he was with you." Shane said causing Carla to nod. "You did the right thing."

"I'm not so sure I did. Because when I told him, he still kept thinking about Bette."

"Of course he would." Shane rolled his eyes. "I think he's just trying to convince himself he loves Bette because it'll make him feel better of what he did to you."

"What?" Carla asked, confused.

"You said it yourself, anyone with eyes can see how in love he is with you. He's probably only trying to justify what he did to you by 'loving Bette'." Shane said, putting air quotes around loving Bette.

"And what if you're wrong. And that he actually loves Bette?"

Shane laughed. "Yeah fucking right. Are you forgetting I'm his best friend and I can see right through him. If you asked me he deserved those punches Zach gave him. Too bad I wasn't there to lend him a hand. I would love to show him a piece of my medicine."

Carla thought about what Shane said. Her relationship with the boy was already complicated enough, now it gets ever more complicated because Oren can't make up his mind. 

"Aw shit, I'm late for physicals. I gotta go but I'll try to talk in some sense to Oren. Maybe he'll listen me. I love you Carl. Bye." Shane said, getting up from his seat.

"Thanks Shaney. I love you too! Bye." And with that Shane left the girl to decide what she was going to do with Oren. 

✄-----------------------------

I start school again tomorrow 😩