THIRTY-SEVEN

"Don't be nervous." Officer Cruz said as she closed the door. Carla was just minding her own business until she encountered Officer Cruz who had a few questions for the girl.

"It's kinda hard not to be." Carla said, her hands starting to sweat.

"Just tell the truth."

"That should be easy." Carla nodded. If there's anything she learned from her father, it's that you gotta play along with the game, acting like you'll cooperate but in reality you avoid all the questions they ask.

"What was your relationship with Cassie like?"

Easy question. "She's my best friend. I met her at Archer. Some people thought it's impossible for two great ballerinas to be friends when they're always being compared to one another. Cassie and I acknowledged each other's talents, so we never saw each other as rivals but as sisters. We did everything together." Carla smiled. 

"But now that she's out, doesn't it make you feel a little good that it's now your time to shine?" Officer Cruz asked.

Carla laughed. "At first it did. You know the first few weeks of classes, Master Brooks always pointing out how good I was doing. But it just made me realize how much I missed Cassie. We might not talk about it but we pushed each other to do better. She helped me become the ballerina I am now."

"What about Bette and Oren?" She suddenly asked.

"What about them?"

"Does he love her?"

Carla chuckled. "He says he does. But anyone with eyes can see he still loves me."

"Why would you say that?"

Carla shrugged. "A while back, he told me he still loved me and that Bette was just a distraction. Interpret that whatever way you want."

"Oren said he was with Bette the night of Cassie's accident." Officer Cruz said, causing the girl to chuckle again. "Is that funny to you?"

"Of course he did." Carla said, a little disappointed.

"Was he lying?"

"And if he was?"

"He won't face anything unless you tell me the truth of where he was."

Carla sighed. "That night, he was with me, in his room, doing that. We both promised to never bring it up again only because one I was disgusted at myself for doing the exact same thing Bette did to me and two, I didn't want my feelings to resurface again for him. But hey. You can't choose who you love."

"So he was with you?"

Carla nodded. "Yeah he was."

"So you're his alibi."

"And if you don't believe me, you could look into the security tapes of me and him going into his room and leaving after Cassie's accident."

"Thank you Carla."

Carla nodded and walked out the door. She didn't know why she was a little upset to hear Oren going through all this trouble in trying to protect Bette. Maybe he is a cheater AND a liar.