THIRTY-EIGHT

Carla was in the studio practicing the Ripper dance. She did not enjoy dancing the routine because it just made her feel yucky and it just wasn't the style she was used to.

She could feel a pair of eyes staring at her so she turned around to see Oren.

"Hey." He said only to earn a scoff from the girl. "What's wrong Carls?"

Carla shook her head. "I'm busy."

"Carla. Did something happen?"

"Oh something did happen all right," Carla said causing the boy to be confused. He thought after everything that happened, he was finally her friend again.

"What was it? Did someone hurt you or something?"

Carla scoffed. "I was with Bette the night of the accident. Sound familiar?"

"Carla..."

"Why do you keep defending her Oren?"

"I owe it to her."

"You owe her nothing. You can't just lie to a cop."

"Well I know that now because Bette dumped me when I told her I was with her that night."

Carla rolled eyes. "Can't say I'm not surprised."

"Look I learned my lesson. Okay. And if I could take it back I could. But I can't because then I'll look like a liar."

"Well it's a good thing I told her you were with me."

"What?" Oren asked, confused.

"You heard me."

"You told her I was with you?"

Carla nodded. "She did tell us to tell the truth right?"

"Why would you tell her that?" Oren said, a little frustrated and annoyed.

"Excuse me?" Carla said, taken back as to why he was getting so frustrated.

"Fuck Carla this ruins everything."

Carla rolled her eyes at how ridiculous the boy in front of her was being. "Not for you it doesn't. Because now you have an alibi which in my defense should make you feel a whole lot better than your lame made up story."

"And what about Bette?"

"What about her?"

"Officer Cruz is going to go after her because now she knows nobody knew where she was that night."

Carla laughed. "Why are you still defending?"

"Because I love her."

"And I love you." Carla shouted.

"What?" Oren asked.

"Don't you see? Officer Cruz told me you told her you were with Bette that night. So I had the option to either A tell her what you said was true or B tell her the actual truth you were with me. I chose the latter. And you wanna know why? I love you Oren. I'm still in love with you and I'll do everything I can to protect you. You should know the feeling because you did exactly what I did for Bette. And I knew that once you told her she had you as an alibi, she would dump you once she got what she wanted."

"How did you know?"

"I didn't. Until now. If you truly did love me, you wouldn't have lied to protect a girl who doesn't even love you."

"Carla..." Carla didn't bother turning around to hear what he had to say. Tears were falling down her face and as much as she wanted to hear him out, she couldn't do that to herself.

She deserved to be loved. Everyone does.