King of Hearts ⚜ Ch. 5

The royal Arinsal family invited the three knights and Zaina to the year end ball to celebrate the defeat of Vicinda and welcome the princess home.

She was excited for the masque, and chose a glittering silver and gold flecked gown. The freedom of putting on her crown again was blissful.

As she went out of her room, the three siblings were waiting at the base of the stairs.

"I'm ready," she called.

They all turned to look at her, and she couldn't help but notice that they all wore the same awed and adoring expression. It made her blush a bit, knowing that all of them carried a torch for her. They were all so wonderful, she wondered which of them she might end up choosing - which could make her the happiest. She laughed the most with Noa, blushed the most with Kal, and felt most at home with Ren.

"You look like a dream, Princess," Kal smiled, kissing her hand.

"Here, a curl came loose," Noa said. He reached around to carefully tuck the rogue curl back into place under her filigree mask.

"Thank you." She then looked to Ren, who held out his hand. "Ready?"

He smiled. "Ready."

They all went to the carriage, and the ride up to Four Castles was much warmer than her last trip. They joined the large crowd heading up the grand walkway to the ballroom.

Standing at the first step, she froze, vivid memories of running back the other way filling her mind. The playing card, the memory of Vicinda's cold eyes...

"Hey, it's alright. You're safe now," Ren murmured.

"We'll be with you the whole way," Kal added, taking her other arm.

She nodded, taking a breath. "Alright. Let's go."

The ballroom was just as grand as she remembered with its glass ceiling and intricately tiled floor. The room was filled with beautiful and well to do people in gorgeous costumes.

King Arinsal and his family were at the front of the room on the dais, and the four of them went to him first.

"Ah, Princess Zaina. I'm so glad you came. Welcome back to the Royal Academy," the king smiled.

She curtseyed. "Thank you, your highness."

"We're so glad you are safe now. I remember when you were a student here not so long ago. Aldovia will be lucky to have you as their new queen. Now, I'll make the announcement in a bit. We'll give the stragglers a chance to arrive."

"Alright." She turned back to her three escorts and grinned. "Now then, who wants the first dance?"

Noa grabbed her hand first. "I win. Come on, Princess."

They danced for a while, laughing nearly the whole time, then Kal cut in. She held her close and smiled so gently, Zaina couldn't help her heart fluttering a bit.

Then the king returned to the dais. "Lords and ladies, esteemed guests. If I may have your attention, we have a few announcements to make."

"Oh, come on!" Zaina went to the front and waited for him to look her way.

"Tonight we celebrate the end of another school year, and also, the return of royalty. May I present, for the first time in five years, Crown Princess Zaina Sedell of The Kingdom of Aldovia. She has defeated the corrupt queen that destroyed her family and drove her into hiding. And so tonight we celebrate the triumphant return of the rightful ruler of our neighbour, Aldovia."

She went to stand beside him as the crowd cheered. She smiled and waved, just glad to be free. While the king continued his announcement, looked down at her knights. Her gaze locked with Ren's, and he winked.

The crowd seemed even more excited about this second announcement, and she supposed she ought to have paid attention.

"Let's celebrate and welcome our newest royals!" King Arinsal smiled, putting a hand on her shoulder and the redhead on his other side.

When the crowd quieted down, they shook the king's hand and went back to join the others. Ren was waiting for her.

"I believe it's my turn, Princess."

She smiled and stepped up to him. "So it is."

They started to dance, and she felt so at home in his arms.

"I'm so glad we ran into you, Zaina," he murmured. "Now I can't imagine things without you."

She looked up at him and smiled. "What would I do without my knights?"

He stared at her with such intensity in his eyes, and this time she didn't hesitate to kiss him back. The thought crossed her mind that she had finally found her happily ever after.

THE END
✧❈✧

Thank you for reading and voting on the Royal Academy Diaries series! If you've gotten this far, it means you've been a loyal reader and I'm so grateful to you for that. Hopefully you had fun with this!