Circus ⚜ Ch. 8

Andrae had a late birthday, and his parents drove up to meet him for dinner. It was unconventional, but they insisted on celebrating the Saturday with him.

When he arrived in Vanera, he saw their cart parked with the Roma caravans. They were talking and laughing with the chief.

"Ah there he is! Andrae, have you met Chief Josef Kouldelka?" his father asked.

"Ooh, Bastien, tell him about Jaanika. She gives real fortunes!" his mother grinned excitedly.

Andrae smiled and nodded to the chief. "Hello."

"Son, come over, we have a few things for you," Bastien said, waving him over.

His mother pulled a basket from the back, and he recognized the smell. "Your favourite since you were a boy. I thought we could all eat and discuss things."

"I'll leave you to it," Chief Josef nodded.

Andrae climbed up onto the cart and reminded himself to not look at the clock tower. "It smells delicious, mama."

Carlita smiled as she prepared three small plates with the food. While it had long been cold, it was still good. They all ate, and then the conversation started up.

"Son, we're so excited to have you back with us," his father said, putting a hand on his shoulder. 

"So excited to see you back in the ring." Exchanging a glance, his parents grinned. "In fact, your last performance got us thinking."

"You seem to be such a natural performer, and we all think you would make a fine ringmaster," Bastien said proudly. "All your studies at school would help you run a tight-shipped show."

His eyes widened. "You want..." Running a hand through his thick, curly hair, he let out a sigh. "Mum, dad, I want to go into architecture or law."

"Either way, we are so proud of you." Reaching back, Carlita pulled out a box. "This is for you."

Andrae smiled and opened it to see scarlet fabric.

"I made you a red tail coat," his mother said excitedly. "Maybe you can wear it to the ball."

Pulling it out of the box, a wave of fear crashed over him. He was scared to announce his heritage that boldly at school.

"Mama... I'm afraid that I'll lose vital opportunities if more people know who I am. I can't... I'm sorry. You worked so hard on this; give it to someone who wants this life more than I do." Giving his parents a quick hug, he jumped down from the cart. "Thank you for coming to see me. I hope you can understand."