Of Heart & Duty ⚜ Ch. 9

When Valentine's Day rolled around, the snow was in a surprising retreat, clearing up the grounds enough to be traversed in a gown. The gardens were enchanted to bloom in this likely temporary warm spell, making it suddenly seem like spring.

She woke up to find a small red package of salted caramel on the table by the door, obviously delivered late that night by one of the maids. Although there was no name on the tag besides her own, she knew full well who it was from.

Zahir invited her to the ball, and again she wore a red gown. Every time she put on the colour, she couldn't help but look at Raphael's ring. She was conflicted and embarrassed after the tea party, not knowing if he would get in trouble for so much as talking to her. After their now not-so-secret kiss, her heart felt pulled in different directions without giving her the instructions on what to do about it.

At the Valentine's ball, it almost seemed a bit warm inside. Coming back with another drink, Zahir nodded to the open doors. "Come on, let's go out to the gardens."

"Alright," she smiled, taking a glass.

They went out to join the other couples making the most of the snow-free grounds, leisurely meandering through the romantic and beautiful landscape. They were quiet for a while, sipping their drinks.

"You love him, don't you?" Zahir said suddenly.

Sabrina was caught off guard. "Wha- Love him? You couldn't-"

"I see it in your eyes, Rina," he interrupted gently, his smile a bit sad. "You love him but you feel like you shouldn't."

Upon hearing him say it, she realized it was true. She looked away, embarrassed and ashamed of herself. "I should be in love with you."

He took her hand. "But you're not. It's okay. I get it, really. He can give you what I can't."

"You don't know that," she insisted. "I'm not giving up on either of you just yet." 

Zahir nodded, although she saw defeat in his eyes, which he tried to hide. "Do whatever makes you happy, Sabrina."

She smiled, and saw movement out of the corner of her eye. Over his shoulder in the background, a man was next to the garden gate. "Oh..."

He looked back to see the man and nodded to her. "Go talk to him."

"Let me go thank him for the gift he sent me and I'll be back soon," she promised.

"I'll be by the topiaries."

She hurried over to the gate, knowing full well it's name and history.

"You know, I honestly had no idea you would be by Lover's Gate," Raphael smiled sheepishly. "I was out walking when I saw a glimpse of red and wondered... You look so beautiful, Princess."

She traced a finger along the wrought iron. "Thank you. And I wanted to thank you for the sweets. You remembered that it was my favourite."

"I know it's been a while, but I hoped you still had a taste for it."

"I do," she smiled.

"Despite the way things are going, I'm not asking you to be my valentine," he teased.

She chuckled softly and nodded. "I know. It's a big decision to make but I still have a little time. The question is would you really consider me?"

His smile softened. "I would." He put a hand on hers and said quietly, "You are so good to not simply shun your duty as a betrothed princess, but don't forget your duty to your heart." Through the gate he kissed her cheek. "Go. Enjoy the ball."

After a moment's hesitation, she replied, "Only if you promise to save a dance for me." She winked, clearly surprising him. And honestly herself too.