Champion ⚜ Ch. 4

The mismatched tea party was the event of the year for the popular girls. Only forty were invited each year, and the expensive invitations were worth their weight in gold. The girl lucky enough to host it was given a very specific list of things to do, including choosing who to pass the torch to next year. The pressure was on to make it perfect.

When the day arrived, Laora was less worried about the tea party than she was about Drake. The opinions of popular girls didn't matter as much when her freedom was in the balance. But putting her aunt's warning to the back of her mind, she tried to focus on the event.

Sitting at the table with her were five other girls - Rovena, a girl named Brena, Princess Rabiya, Lady Sita Kaur, and Princess Sabrina.

"I have to say, my own china is still my favourite," Brena said. "You can't go wrong with Celtic knots in decorating."

Laora grinned, holding up her teacup. "I would say the same about fleur de lis."

"Oh, by the way, have you seen the designs for this spring?" Rabiya asked.

"Ooh yes, I was looking for an Easter gown earlier," Sabrina smiled. "I love the catalogues the school gets."

Trying to pay attention, Laora's mind started to slip. She was worried about her next competition and what it could mean for her and her family. Before she knew it, something had happened at the table.

"You kissed him?!" Rovena said a bit loudly.

Sabrina blushed beside her. "He- We are betrothed. It's not wrong..."

Sita raised a brow. "Isn't it?"

The princess suddenly stood. Without a word, she left the tent, nearly bumping into someone on her way out.

Laora got a chill when she saw who it was. The man said something to the princess that made her blush even more before rushing off. His eyes then flicked to her, and he smiled.

Trembling slightly, she got up from the table and went over to him. "Drake."

He smiled and stepped closer to her. "Hello sweetheart."