Curse Of The Desert Sun ⚜ Ch. 2

Aten sat beside his betrothed on the way to the Academy, both in tired silence after the long journey. Okoye seemed to be distracting herself looking at her rings, and he hoped she wouldn't ask more questions.

Her eyes kept flicking to him, but he looked out the window, hoping to discourage her.

"Something's been off since your birthday, Aten."

Oh no... "Hm?"

She leaned forward. "You know what I mean. You haven't been yourself. You go to visit Tut's tomb and suddenly you're obsessed with it. You spent more time at that museum this summer than you did riding your horse. I thought you loved riding."

He sighed. "I just got swept up in the story, is all. You can understand that, can't you?"

Her perceptive eyes searched him. "That I can understand. Abandoning the rest of your life for it is enough to make me question."

Aten bit back a grimace. Of course he loved riding. His Arabian was his pride and joy, and going around to the ruins with Okoye was his favourite thing in the world. "Things have just changed, is all." 

He wanted more than anything to kiss her cheek, but he just... couldn't. 

She leaned back, disappointed. "As long as you're happy, I guess," she half mumbled.

The prince sighed quietly. That's why he was going to the Magic Academy again this year - to find the answers he couldn't find back home in Egypt. 

Then they'd be happy again.