The Enemy's Ambassador ⚜ Ch. 10

After the first night of the competition, they changed back into street clothes and headed back to the hotel. But Rolf could tell something was wrong as soon as he saw Yosef. He rushed ahead, his eyes down to avoid everyone. Worried, Rolf hurried after him. He'd reached the lifts by the time he caught up with him.

"Yosef! Wait up!"

He pressed the button, but Rolf got to him before the doors opened. "You did wonderfully, Rolf. You should be proud."

He furrowed his brow and gently held out an arm to stop him as the door opened. "What's wrong? You practically ran out of the theatre. Did something happen?"

He shook his head, but angry tears were filling his eyes. After a moment he finally said, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?" he asked, confused.

"About you and Cora," he lamented, not looking at him. "It's obvious there's something between you. I'm so stupid that I never saw it before. Of course you're straight..."

He blinked. "Cora? Wha- no, Yosef, that was acting." He put his hands on his shoulders, trying to get him to look in his eyes. "That was all an act. I'm not particularly fond of her, to be quite honest," he whispered. "You are the one I'm... falling in love with."

He looked up, his eyes wide with surprise. "What?"

Rolf tried to bolster his courage. "I am no villain. I'm not the bad guy. I just want to love and be loved. And maybe, somehow, have an influence on my people. And if you could trust me, love me even, I want to do it with you."

The tears slipped from Yosef's eyes and he stared at him in semi-disbelief. "Really? Rolf, you really love me?" A smile grew on his lips into an expression of pure joy.

He looked so charming, Rolf grinned and held up his camera to capture this look. He shrieked and held up his hand. "No, Rolf!"

Rolf laughed and persisted. "Come on, let me take a picture."

He laughed. "No, stop!"

"Give it here, I'll take it."

They looked over to see Yosef's friend Titovka, wearing a smirk with her hands on her hips. She held out a hand for Rolf's camera.

He stepped closer to him, and could see the flush in his cheeks. "You're wonderful, you know that?" Titovka snapped a picture and he leaned closer. "Yosef..." Tilting up his chin, he searched his eyes.

"You're wonderful too," Yosef murmured. "I'm not afraid of you." Closing his eyes, he gave Rolf permission to kiss him. He wrapped an arm around his waist, holding him close as they kissed.

✧❈✧

Thank you for reading and voting on the ninteenth installment of the Royal Academy Diaries series!
Keep reading to find out if a Morrocan princess will choose forbidden love.