The Missing Crown ⚜ Ch. 1

Master Teyrn Calaghan of Munster of The Republic of Ireland  Magic Academy, year three - 17 ✧❈✧

Magic Academy, year three - 17
✧❈✧

"It's been a decade since the revolution. Ireland is ready for change. We can keep our independence and individuality better with a king that will keep our country in the spotlight and in power." The man clenched a fist. "No longer will we let outsiders make decisions for us. We will return to greatness as a people and a nation, rather than be featured on cereal boxes and cheap beer and lying history books."

Teyrn watched his father by the window. His mother went to join him, putting a hand on his arm.

"We learned the ancient magic on our own, just as the kings of old did. You have learned that magic too, and now you're ready, son. Here, Torran, let me." The woman took a stone box from her husband's hands, bringing it over to the table where Teyrn was sitting. Murmuring a spell, an ancient Celtic symbol glowed in the rock, splitting it open to neatly reveal the box's contents - a solid gold circlet etched with graceful knots and a glittering shamrock brooch. "The crown of the ancient Celtic Kings. Take it with you. You can wear it once you've obtained the magic."

He took a breath as she removed the brooch from the box. "And this?"

"The power of luck. You must wear it to help you pass the four tests." She held it out to pin it to his jumper.

"Do I have to wear this?" he cringed, seeing the way it sparkled.

"It is a powerful three hundred year old charm," his father said. "Just wear it."

Teyrn sighed, staring at the crown as his mother pinned the clover to his lapel. 

"Remember what the texts say: only one worthy of being king can pass the tests. They will push you to your limits. The power of the former kings will not be given easily. People have died for this magic," his father said.

His mother gave him a look. "Don't scare him."

"He needs to know the truth, Siobhan. Now Teyrn, the car will be here soon to take you to school. Do you have everything you need?"

He watched his mother close the box and nodded. "I'm ready."