Champion ⚜ Ch. 5

Drake smiled and reached out to toy with one of her curls. "How are my horses? As good as my rider, I hope?"

"They're fine," Laora said, trying to brush his hand away. "What are you doing here? Do you have to torment me like this?" When he persisted, she grabbed his hand.

"Torment? I'm merely holding a blade to your throat, my dear. Mm, and I enjoy it far to much to stop." His eyes bored into hers. "I know your auntie was here last week to warn you about me."

"I take it you're going to tell me why," she said tensely.

"Yes. Now, listen carefully." He traced the curve of her face and leaned a little closer. "You have no money and are in need of a wealthy benefactor. And I need a young lady with spirit. And so I'm proposing a challenge."

Reluctantly, she said, "Tell me."

"You're nervous about your upcoming competition, aren't you? The biggest one yet. The biggest payout." He smirked. "So here's my deal. If you lose, you'll be indebted to me as my servant."

Her eyes widened. "You can't do that." He couldn't do that, surely. It had to be illegal...

Drake smirked. "Oh but I can. Auntie goes to a workhouse, and you work for me. If you agree to marry me, I'll get you trainers and every horse you want. You'll be a very spoiled bride."

Tears stung at her eyes. "And if I win?"

His expression showed his confidence. "If you win? In a competition with trained professionals twice your age? Darling, if you win and get that money, you're free."

She knew he was right. The chances of her winning were slim to none.

He leaned close, his lips brushing her cheek. "I can help you, Laora."

Determined to not have her life be ruled by him, she pushed him back. "I will win. Just you wait."

He chuckled. "Whatever you say, sweetheart."

She turned and ran away from him, back towards the castle.

He shouted after her, "For auntie's sake, I hope you do."