Champion ⚜ Ch. 6

Laora had known this was coming, but to hear the threat from Drake himself had thrown her into an anxiety episode. She leaned against the stone wall of the castle, trying to remember to breathe. Her mind raced a mile a minute, trying to sort through her options.

There was only one: win.

She didn't want to consider the other possibility.

As she stood there, panicking, someone walked past.

"Laora? Are you alright?"

She opened her eyes and straightened her tiara. "Luisa? Oh, nothing. I'm fine." She left off the 'please go'.

She frowned and walked up to her. "Something is obviously wrong. What happened?"

She tried to brush her off. "Really, everything's good. Don't bother."

Crossing her arms, she stepped closer. Her dark blue eyes searching. "I won't be bullied, my lady. Now, tell me what's wrong."

Swallowing her tears, Laora bowed her head. "Please just leave me to get out of my own messes," she half whispered.

"Laora? What's going on?" They both looked up to see Aldrick approaching. He glared at Luisa. "How about you get lost and leave her alone?"

She frowned and looked between them. "Aldrick..."

Luisa bowed and walked away without another word. The prince then put his hands on her shoulders. "Come on, let's forget about everything."

Laora shook her head. "Aldrick, Drake came here."

He rolled his eyes. "Just tell him he'll get his money. You're a champion, you'll get it."

"No, you don't understand, he-"

"You'll figure it out as always. Don't worry. Now come on, I'll help you forget all about it." He leaned close to kiss her but she held him back.

"Wait. Aldrick... I just, I can't do this right now."

His smile faded. "No, not again. Laora-"

"I just need some space while I figure this out. Please."

He sighed and nodded, stepping back. "Alright. I'll be waiting. As always."

Watching him walk away made her hope she was making the right decision. But it was done. And now she had to find a way to stop Drake.