CHAPTER 26 ☂︎ I MET MYSELF

The four of them had moved to a table. The Fives sitting across from each other and Luther and Y/n across from each other. All three boys had a glass of beer, while Y/n had a water .

The Fives stared were staring at each other. Luther took a sip of his beer, sighing as he put the glass back down, "Well, this is nice, isn't it?" He looked around at the three others, smiling, "The four of us, together like this."

"No." Both Fives and Y/n spoke in unison. She continued to look into her glass as she swirled her straw around.

"Somebody explain to me how it is I'm having a pint of Guinness with my younger self." The old Five said, not taking his eyes off the other Five.

"Older, actually." Y/n and 13 year old body Five stated, him continuing, "I'm you, just 14 days older."

"Hm." Y/n hummed quietly to herself, "It's only been 14 days? Feels like months."

"I have pubic hair smarter than you." Old Five said, making Y/n grimace, "How's that possible?"

"Why must all the Hargreeves say the weirdest fucking stuff?" Y/n thought, rubbing a hand on her forehead.

"I can explain. You see," Teen Five started, "one hour from now, on the grassy knoll, before the president is killed, you break your contract with the Commission. I already know you're thinking about it. All those years in the apocalypse,"

Y/n looked away from the table, rubbing the back of her neck as he continued to speak, "we never stopped worrying about our family. Well, today, you are going to do something about it. Today, you are going to attempt to time travel forward to 2019. However, you are going to screw up the jump and end up in this twin of a body, trapped forever, small, pubescent."

"Okay." Older Five said as he farted, "Even if I was to believe you, what am I supposed to do about it, not jump?"

"No, no. I need you to jump." Younger Five pointed across the table at him, "If you don't jump, I cease to exist. What I need from you is to jump correctly."

"I'm listening."

"The first time through, I got the calculation wrong. That's how I ended up in this body. But now, I know the correct calculation."

"What is it?"

"I'll be glad to tell you..." Teen Five smiled, "in exchange for that briefcase you're holding under the table."

"Yeah, yeah, so you go back to 2019, as planned, but this time with the right math, you remain a full-grown man. In exchange, we get that briefcase that you no longer need." Luther smiled as Y/n glared across at him.

"You didn't have to repeat everything. We all know what was said." She crossed her arms after taking a sip of her water.

"Timeline restored, paradox resolved." Younger, but older Five uttered, "Everyone goes on existing happily ever after."

"That's quite a bit to take in."

"What do you think?" Teen Five asked, Luther looking back and forth at the two Fives.

There was a long pause before adult Five spoke, "I think... I need to piss." He grabbed the briefcase from between his legs as he stood up from the table.

As he walked to the bathroom, Y/n started to think, "Something is off about him."

"Oh. Well," Luther picked up the napkin from under his glass, putting it on Five's forehead, "besides the flop sweat, I think that went pretty well, am I right?"

Five pulled Luther's hand away from his face, "No, no, there's something... something doesn't feel right about this."

"What... what do you mean?" Luther questioned, placing the napkin on the table.

"I don't trust him." Five motioned towards to back where the restrooms are located.

Y/n nodded her head, agreeing, "Yeah, I had the same feeling."

"But he's you." Luther looked at his brother, pointing at him.

"Exactly." Five nodded, gesturing.

"Come on, Luther, if you met yourself would you trust him? If I met myself, I wouldn't trust her." Y/n crossed her arms again after motioning to herself.

"I'm going to see what's up with him." Luther stood up, heading towards the bathroom.

"Good, 'cause it'd be weird if I went in there." Y/n scooted her chair back so she could put her feet on the table.