3.2

"Focus on your pronunciation, Expecto Patronum."

My brow furrowed in concentration, biting my lip as I clutched my wand tightly in my grasp.

Today was the day we worked on casting our patronuses. There would be no doubt that dementors would infiltrate the school after all hell broke loose, and we had to protect ourselves.

Ginny's horse galloped passed my line of vision and around the room, everyone's voices filling up the training room.

"Wand tip, up Mr.Finnegan." McGonagall's hand pushed up on Seamus' elbow, working closely with those of us who still couldn't produce our patronus.

Neville, Luna, Ginny and Lavender had already cast the defensive spell, leaving just me, Dean and Seamus to try and crack the riddle.

For some reason, I just couldn't cast it, even after the other two managed it.

Every happy memory I could think of seemed to flood with sadness and frustration, even the memory of my parents that I used to cast my doe at the lake failing me now.

"C'mon Ivy, you've got this." Ginny's encouraging voice filled my ears as I continuously repeated the spell, biting my lip now with concentration.

I tried to picture Draco, my heart filling at the happy memories spent together. The way he smiled down at me when we rode above the Great Lake, the way we danced at the Astronomy Tower, our first time making love together.

The tip of my wand began to glow a bright pale blue, McGonagall noticing and briskly walking over.

"You're nearly there dear!" Her hands clasped together as she watched, and I could feel the eyes of my friends on me too.

And suddenly, those memories weren't so happy. The evening spent above the lake, he shut me out and went cold on me, after we danced he left me alone in Hogwarts and went away to a place of darkness, the morning after we made love he...he...

I quickly withdrew, my wand arm dropping as my chest heaved up and down, tears stinging my eyes.

It dawned on me that every happy memory I had was contaminated with darkness.

The whole room suddenly cascaded into silence, and I heard a mumble from Lavender about how I could cast my patronus before in the previous year, and how sad it was what happened to my parents.

"It's okay dear, you've been through a lot, you'll get it don't worry." The Professor gently rested her hand on my shoulder, and my eyes fell to the metal floor in-front of me, tears threatening to spill over.

"Alright, alright." McGonagall turned back around to the rest of the group, addressing them whilst her hand remained on my arm. "That's enough for today."

Luna took a slow step towards me, her fingers playing with her necklace as she attempted to condole me.

"Ivy-"

"Excuse me for a moment-"

I quickly brushed passed Dean on my way out the grand doors and into the hallway, shoving my wand into the back of my skirt as I rushed away.

I couldn't be in that room with all of their sympathetic eyes boring into me like I was a lost cause, pitying my very existence.

"Ivy...Ivy!" Neville's voice called after me, but I didn't stop - I couldn't stop. I didn't want to be seen crying again, only confirming their pretences that I was just as weak as they thought.

"Hey - hey-" Just as I rounded the next corridor Neville grabbed onto my arm, pulling us both to a holt as he turned me back towards him.

"What's-"