4.5

"Do you think it looks okay?"

Ginny tilted her head at the strings of lights that weaved and floated above the high ceilings, twinkling down on us.

"It looks great." I smiled half heartedly, holding my bare arms arms to warm myself a little against the cold.

Ginny, Lavender and I had cleared the others out of the defence room to transform it, and honestly it didn't look too shabby.

It was full with glowing lights, tables of snacks we'd managed to sneak from the kitchen and a few loose bottles of spirits my fellow sixth years had lying about and stashed away.

"That colour really does look great on you, Ives." Lavender smiled at me, her eyes dancing up and down my dress.

It was the same one I'd wore for the Yule Ball, all those years ago. It was a satin dress, the top tight to my waist line with an open back, and the bottom opening out slightly in an elegant sort of way.

But it was a little different this time. I'd charmed it from the bright blood red it was once was into a dark emerald green, the colour shining and reflecting off of the lights.

A small tap came from the door that separated the common room and the defence room, before it slowly opened to reveal Neville poking his head around the door.

"Only me!" He smiled, kicking it shut behind him as he walked over all dressed up in his finest tux.

"Wow, it looks great in here." His eyes danced with the lights as he admired the surroundings, spinning slightly as he made his way over to us.

"Doesn't my date look dashing." Ginny grinned as he strode over, wrapping her arm around his waist and pulling him in for a hug.

"Ditto, my love." Neville smiled back before he stepped over to the tables, lifting the heavy bag up to rest.

"And I thought my date looked good." Lavender puffed out, crossing her arms with a playful shake of her head.

"Hey, you've got McLaggen. I wouldn't be complaining." Neville turned back with a grin, sorting through his goodies.

"Lord, don't remind me. Have you got a date, Ivy?" Lavender turned to me, the bottom of her pastel coloured dress brushing against the floor as she did so.

"Oh...well - kinda - maybe I - I don't know..." I rubbed the back of my neck, feeling a blush rise to my cheeks.

I hadn't spoken to nor seen Draco since our argument a few nights ago, and I wasn't sure which one of us would be the first to seek the other out.

We'd had a few disagreements here and there in the past, but nothing verbally to the point I collapsed in floods of tears like I did. Maybe I was being stubborn, or maybe he was, but I felt too hurt inside to self-justify what had happened.

"I've been trying to convince the lucky guy to accompany her along to the ball tonight. Hopefully he should make an appearance."

I looked up at Neville, my eyes widening as my heart dropped a little in my chest.

"Oooh, and who is this lover man you speak of?" Ginny winked, grinning as she wrapped her arm around my waist playfully.

"Well you'll just have to find out for yourself, won't you?"

I bit my lip, my stomach twisting with knots and pounding with angered butterflies at the thought.

Thankfully the conversation was quickly drawn away from my romantic life, as the attention quickly turned towards the multiple bottles of fire whiskey Neville was stashing away.