2.1

Draco linked his hand in mine, rubbing his face with the back of his sleeve as we made our way over to the door.

The walk back to the common room was quiet, the both of us trying to compose ourselves before we started the conversation we had been inevitably dreading.

As soon as we stepped into his room and he locked the door behind us, he collapsed down onto the bed, groaning into his hands.

"Where do I even start..." He mumbled, removing his suit jacket and tie.

I carefully sat down beside him, holding his hand in mine in silence as I examined his rings.

"Well I guess you should probably know where I've been recently. No more secrets, right?"

A sigh passed his lips before he began.

"Most nights I've been apparating back to the Manor for meetings and what not, so I don't get back until around 6am sometimes. It's been more intense since Potter left as the Dark Lord is trying to hunt him down and stop whatever it is they're doing. In fact, I've been there most weekends too to be honest, but Snape's been trying to help me out a bit since you came into my life."

I paused, examining his exhausted features as he pushed his hand through his hair before letting his head fall back down.

I knew Snape was a death eater after what Harry had told us last year, but I never took him as the type to care about someone enough to try and save them, let alone Draco Malfoy.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner? About the...about the mark...?"

"I was going to - I tried to - but I just couldn't find the right time to say it. And besides I...I didn't want you to give yourself to me without knowing the truth. I couldn't do that to you Ives. And even then, I was scared you would leave me if you knew I had it. You have to believe me, I'm not one of them. I realised when I couldn't-...last year was one of the hardest years of my life and in all honesty I didn't think I could go on much longer. But when we started seeing one another I just - I knew that I could never be one of them, what they wanted me to be. I just didn't realise I needed someone like you to help me see that."

His red and bloodshot eyes found mine before he stood up and walked over to his dresser.

"When Potter left, Snape found out I'd helped you and Hermione to escape from the death eaters and found out about you - about us - and he told me that I had to let you go. He said that it wasn't safe for you to be involved with me and all the shit that follows my name, and dear Merlin I tried but I just couldn't. It felt as if the only light I had left had suddenly disappeared all over again, and I was just left in this oblivion of darkness." His hands began to open a bottle of fire whiskey as he poured himself a large glass, the embers of the drink reflecting against his pale skin.

"And so he gave me an ultimatum, as you heard, that I'd have to protect you if I chose to stay...if you chose to stay...with me."

His hands trembled as he brought the glass to his lips, grimacing as he took two long swigs of the fiery liquid.

"And so here I am."

He released his breath, his body deflating as tears sprung to his tired eyes, his heart fully exposed and on the line.

"In my broken and bruised glory."

A single tear rolled down his cheek.

"Here's to the boy that died within me long ago."

He rose his glass in the air as to a toast to himself, quickly downing the rest of the whiskey before he turned to desperately pour himself another glass.