Kidnapped

Austin and I raced to the door, but he beat me and threw it open, getting tackled by his friends in “bro hugs.” I stood back and giggled as they all laughed together. I recognized Alex and the boy that had to be his brother, Drew. They looked so much alike it almost wasn’t fair. Jake and I had hard time claiming family resemblance, but these two probably had a hard time convincing people they weren’t twins. 

Drew was hanging back on the porch to stay out of everyone’s way. Austin broke away and patted him on the back. “Little Drew! You grew!” Drew ducked his head and laughed quietly.

Austin guided everyone inside and they all gathered in the basement. Alex hung back slightly and pulled me into a tight hug before grabbing my hand and following the other guys. Alex introduced each of the other guys while we all sat around on the sofas in front of the big TV while Austin tried to bring the new video up on the screen. I was sitting on the arm of the sofa next to Alex. “So I hear you got some fancy singing skills.”

I blushed. “That‘s what they‘re telling me.”

Tyler raised his eyebrows. “She‘s just being modest. She‘s great Alex.”

Everyone in the room was staring at me. I leaned back and hid my face behind Alex. I wasn’t exactly enjoying the attention. Alex swung me around so I was in front of him and the next thing I knew I was laying across the couch with my head in Drew’s lap and my sneakers dangling under Alex’s nose. 

Austin turned around. “I think I got… Why is Olivia…?”

I blushed and looked at Drew and Zach’s faces. Zach seemed slightly amused, but Drew seemed overwhelmingly uncomfortable with my head resting on his privates. I wasn’t quite sure how to get back up. I looked back to Austin and he helped pull me up while Zach kind of pushed me from behind. I didn’t turn around right away. I was too embarrassed; my head was just in Drew’s crotch. Austin pushed me back until I was sitting on Alex’s lap and switched off the lights. 

“And now the video you‘ve all been waiting for!”

The TV flipped on and the video played. I watched the whole way through until the third verse when I buried my face in Alex’s shoulder. He hugged me close to his chest. Austin purposely flipped the lights on too quick and blinded all the guys. “Hey!”

Austin laughed. “Why‘s Liv hiding? Is she afraid you guys are going to laugh at her.” Alex tapped my shoulder to try and get a response from me, but I only shrugged. “We're not laughing.”

I didn’t move, but I couldn’t understand why. They obviously didn’t think any less of me than they did of Austin. They were most likely the nicest group of guys I’d ever meet, but I was so embarrassed by my singing voice. I wasn’t a singer. I was a writer and that’s what I felt comfortable doing. “Come on Liv,” Robert said. “There‘s nothing to be embarrassed about. Really. You did good. Right guys?” 

They all agreed and I lifted my head. “Really,” Robert repeated. “It was great.” I looked around and they were all nodding in agreement. Even Drew who hadn’t said a word yet. I sighed and leaned back. Alex kissed my cheek. 

“Stop being so shy. That was amazing. Beautiful even. I loved the solo too.”

I blushed. “That was Austin‘s best video yet,” Tyler added. “I loved it. When can I get the MP3?”

Austin took him, Robert, and Zach up to his room to download it to their iPods, so I got left alone with Alex and Drew. Alex tried to kiss me, but I backed off, remembering the last time we made a performance out of a kiss. “So Drew,” Alex asked. “What‘d you think?”

He shrugged. “It was good.”

Alex mockingly covered my ears. “How dare you tell my girlfriend she was only good. I expected better of you sir!”