Believe in Me

“Holy crap!”

      Dillon glanced up at my face from his tiny four foot eleven inches. “Got a problem?”

      “That was scary!”

      Dillon laughed and turned around to look at Kylie, who was practically buried in Larry’s chest.       “Come on Ky! It wasn‘t that scary.”

      “Dillon.” I looked at him. “You drug us to how many scary movies before? When was the last time I actually screamed in the theater?”

      Larry answered for him. “You never screamed in the theater, Liv. That was a pretty good one. Kylie’s almost in tears over here.”

       I smacked Dillon in the back of the head. “Bad idea.”

      Dillon slowed down and grabbed Kylie from Larry. “I‘m sorry.”

      Ky pushed him away and went back to Larry. “You’re a fork licker!”

      He shrugged and grabbed my hand as we walked through the doors to go outside. “You forgive me, right?”

       “Nah.”

      The car ride back to my house was mostly silent because Kylie was still pretty ticked at Dillon, and I wasn’t in the mood to say much. Dillon’s my best friend and all, but I wasn’t too happy he scared Kylie so bad. I mean sure, its fun to scare people a little bit every now and then, but making her cry? I don’t know.

      Larry pulled into my driveway and we all pulled our stuff out of the trunk and walked in without saying a word to Larry. I’d text him later. My brother, Jake, was chugging milk in the kitchen. Shirtless.

      Why? I don’t know. Did he have a shirt he could’ve worn? Yep. Did he seem ashamed we caught him with no shirt on? Not at all. He finished off the half gallon as Dillon, Kylie and I watched from the doorway. “We’re out of milk.”

       I sighed. “No cereal in the morning I guess. You making eggs and orange juice?”

      Jake stared me down. “Do you want me to?”

      I paused like I was thinking. “Yeah. I think I do.”

      He pulled me over his shoulder so my head dangled by his crotch. “You‘re a pain, Liv.”

      I grinned as he set me to my feet. “I know, but you love me.”

      “Some days.”

      All of us headed upstairs to put on our pajamas. Dillon changed in Jake’s room and Kylie and I slipped on our matching pj’s across the hall in my room. There’s a definite rule for sleepovers with guys at my house. The door has to be open at all times if two people of opposite genders are in the same room. That makes it a pretty obvious condition that Jake’s door is open across the hall so he can watch us.

      We pulled out the play station in my living room and played Rock Band. Dillon showed off on drums and I stuck to the easiest level and played guitar. Jake lounged on the couch, laughing every time someone messed up. I wanted to try and kill him, but I knew from experience that it never went over well. I usually end up under him when he pins me to the floor and sits on my stomach.

      We tried some songs I’d never played, so I was extra focused. When I turned around I found my brother, standing, by the couch, wearing nothing but his boxers, and my mom’s old cheerleading uniform. There’s was a lot to say on the tip of my tongue, but the doorbell rang before I had the chance.