Caught in Action

I woke up in the morning when I heard someone banging things around in the next room. I went to stretch, but I was being restricted by Austin’s arms around me. I took a second to reflect on how I’d fallen asleep being so comfortable in his arms. He always looked innocent, but he looked like a young child when he was deep in sleep. I took a second to reflect on how genuinely lucky I was to have him in my life. Not only was he gorgeous, but he seemed to think I was too.

I leaned over and kissed his nose to pull him out of his deep sleep. He woke up with the cutest sleepy smile on his face. “Good morning gorgeous!”

I sighed and leaned my head into his chest. “Good morning. How did you sleep?”

He kissed my cheek. “That was the best sleep I’ve had in years. I loved sleeping with you.”

I looked up into his gorgeous hazel eyes. “I loved having your arms around me all night.”

Smiling, Austin reached over to the nightstand and picked up his phone. Dave knocked and walked in as Austin logged onto Twitter. “Whoa! I was wondering where you were, Austin. What are you doing in here? What...”

He didn’t think we had sex. Did he? I would never do that. I mean. Austin’s body is just... And I’m sure Clark would... But I’m only 14! Why would I do that? I’m not a slut. I don’t sleep with boys. I wouldn’t even think of it.

Austin sat up and the blanket fell to reveal his shirtless body. What the heck?!? “It’s not what it looks like!”

“Austin,” Dave said slowly. “Where are your clothes?”

Austin hopped out of bed to reveal his basketball shorts he still had on. “She asked me to lay with her and I fell asleep. I would never do something like that, Dave. You know that. And she’s sick. Why would she want to?”

Dave made a weird face. “Okay then. Good morning I guess.” With that he left and went down stairs.

My heart was racing. I was so scared that we would get in trouble. “I feel like he didn’t believe us, Austin.”

He pulled me into his side and kissed my head. “I know. It’ll be fine though. I promise.” He smoothed down my hair. “Calm down. How’re you feeling?”

“Hungry?”

He looked at me. Shocked. “Hungry?”

I nodded. “I think so.”

He felt my forehead. “I think your fever might be gone. Come with me.”

We went across the hall to his bathroom and he pulled an old thermometer out of the medicine cabinet. “Shove that in your armpit.”

I did and Dave came back up and stood in the doorway. “What are you guys up to?”

“Checking her temperature. I think it broke. She's actually hungry too.”

Dave nodded and we all waited for the little beep. 98.9. Austin smiled so big and hugged me. “You’re better! Let’s go get some breakfast.”

Dave cut in then. “Actually, you’re mom wants to talk to you downstairs. Olivia can help me unpack some.”

My heart dropped. We were in so much trouble. Austin kissed my head before walking downstairs and I followed Dave to his room. There were boxes everywhere. “You can take a seat on the bed if you want and hand me stuff from that box so I can put it in the dresser. It’d be a huge help.”

I sat down and passed him a t-shirt. “You didn’t believe us. Did you?”

Dave sighed and sat down next to me. “It’s not that. I never would’ve imagined either of you doing that. It’s just a little bit of a scare, you know?”