My First Kiss

I woke up with the sun shining in my eyes. I sat up, thinking I was going to be late for school, when I realized I wasn't going to school today... Or any day in the near future for that matter. I stretched and trudged my way downstairs. Alex and Austin were enjoying bowls of cereal at the table. Frosted Flakes. I wasn't much of a fan. It was the first time I was ever in the kitchen for food. I glanced around.

You'd think finding the pantry would be easy to find, right? It wasn't. Austin reached behind him and popped open a door I hadn't noticed. Poptarts. Yes! I sat across from Austin at the table and began munching away at their chocolate chip goodness. They both stared at me, but I ignored them. I wasn't letting anyone get to me today. I had to start on my schoolwork online and write some more.

Alex cleared his throat. "Nice hair."

To anyone else I would have said something rude, but I just touched my frizzed out hair. "Thanks."

Inside I was kind of embarrassed. He was Austin's best friend after all. Better yet, Austin was right there. I’m no different than anybody else and I’m not afraid to admit I still got kind of star struck when I looked up and saw them staring at me. They were both sort of like celebrities. Not big ones; but still celebrities. They each have the looks and the talent. They just need to make it big so the rest of the world can see them. 

They stared at me the whole time I ate. Especially Alex. Finally I just gave up and walked out of the room; abandoning my Poptart. I got dressed and fixed my hair in my room. I looked human now, but I didn’t want to go back downstairs and face their awkward stares. 

What was with those two anyway? Yesterday everything seemed fine, and I thought they were already getting used to the fact I was here. Was I wrong about that?  They probably just had some sort of argument or something. Austin popped into my room without knocking. “Hey. We‘re about to start the Ustream thing. We do it over in the next room. We have to do three of them a day, or else fans from other places get all ticked off. Come on.”

 I checked my hair in the mirror and followed him. My writing spot was in the corner by the door; completely untouched from the way I left it. They had the microphone, camera and two chairs set up in front of it. Alex was standing shirtless in front of the mirror, combing his hair. I tried not to stare… but you know. I am still just a girl. 

I sat down on the sofa in the corner and didn’t say anything. Austin turned things around so I could still be seen on the camera from the sofa. Austin sat down on his chair that he uses for every web cast and tuned his guitar. Alex took his place next to him and made funny faces into the camera, even though we had another half hour until we started broadcasting. 

Austin sat down the guitar. “Scott texted me and told me to make sure we get you a bunch of followers on Twitter. We‘ll all have to do our Twitter names and tell them to follow us.”

I nodded and he wrote down his Twitter name on a piece of paper in magic marker and Alex’s on another piece. “Here, you write yours.”

I wrote my Twitter name down. “Are you two even following me?” 

Austin blushed. “That‘d probably be a good idea, wouldn‘t it?”

The two of them whipped out their phones and my phone rang telling me I had new followers. I rolled my eyes. Did the seriously think this was going to work? I’m only me. No one’s going to care what I do.

“You two should stay out in the hallway and surprise them. I‘ll pretend my mom called me and everyone will be like, ‘Whoa! They came out of nowhere!’ And then I‘ll introduce you and I‘ll sing and stuff and we‘ll talk and answer questions. Scott wants lots of questions.”