A Day in Miami

“I can’t believe you were so irresponsible!” Michele was screaming when Dave and I made it back to our suite.

Austin was just sitting on the couch staring at the floor. Rocco turned around when we came in and cleared his throat to announce our arrival. Michele turned around, completely infuriated. “And you Olivia! I thought you had more sense than to go out there like that and listen to Austin. I thought you would take care of him and keep him from doing stupid things. Do you two know how worried I was? I was hysterical!”

Scott finally got her to calm down and shut up for a little. “Olivia, why don’t you take a seat next to Austin and we’ll all discuss it in a more mature tone. Shall we?”

I sat down and Austin grabbed my hand and sent me a small, forced smile. Scott sighed. “Obviously you both know that this was stupid. Really stupid. I’m sure you even knew that before you left, but do you realize how risky it was? Aside from being attacked by screaming girls you might have sacrificed your record deal. They can’t go around signing young artists who have no respect for authority. Austin you have a lot of work ahead of you this weekend to make up for this.”

Austin swallowed hard and I made a snap decision to take the blame. “Scott. It wasn’t Austin’s fault. I made him go. We were out on the balcony talking about Miami and how I might never get to come back and how he’s going to be moving here and I lost it. I just wanted some time alone with him out here before he’s gone.” Even though the general argument was a lie, and I’m a terrible liar, I actually started crying because the reason was so true. “He told me it was stupid, but I didn’t care. I just... I’m sorry.”

Everyone in the room looked taken back. Even Austin whose hand I had to squeeze to get him to wipe the shock off his face.

Scott sighed. “Austin, is that true?”

I closed my eyes and prayed he would play along. What we did was bad enough, I didn’t want to be caught for lying too. “Yeah. I guess. I mean I wouldn’t say it was all her fault, but that’s what happened.”

Rocco cleared his throat in the corner. “I think we’ll be able to leave Austin off the hook this time. At least on my end. Mom can do whatever she wants, but if you ask me the whole reasoning behind it is understandable. We are about to rip them apart so, I’ll just tell the label it was all a misunderstanding and to forget it happened, but guys.” He paused to make sure he had both mine and Austin’s attention. “You can’t let this happen again. Don’t go out without at least telling everyone. Even if you agree to go without Dave, we need to know where you guys are at. Is that clear?” Austin and I both nodded. “Good. I’ll be down in the lobby. You guys can finish sorting this out and come down as soon as you’re ready. I have to call the label back.”

Rocco left and the room was silent for awhile. Michele came over towards us. “Both of you. Give me your phones right now.”

Austin rolled his eyes and groaned. “Just let me tweet first. I can’t have all these girls thinking I died.”

Austin tweeted and handed over his phone and I pulled mine out of my bag in the corner and went to hand it over. “Thank you,” she said. “You can have these back when you get to back to San Antonio.”

Mama stormed off into the next room and shut the door. Austin threw his head back against the couch. “You guys are lucky Rocco understands,” Scott said. “He’s a good guy.”

He went into the next room to check on Michele and Dave sat down on my other side. “Ahh. How’s it feel to be a grounded popstar?” Austin threw a pillow at his head. “Sorry. Just wondering. Oh and Olivia, you’re definitely twice the person I am. I know what you did. Austin. You shouldn’t let her go for anything.”