Second First Kiss

Walking into the record company was an experience I wasn't ready for at all. Just like at the recording studio, everything was huge, but all of the people looked seriously important and rich. I messed with my purse as we stood in the lobby. Austin seemed pretty relaxed in his khaki shorts and Nike t-shirt, but it would have been hard to mistake me for a comfortable human being. Scott was dressed in his business suit and talked with people at the front desk. We were instructed to sit in the waiting area until someone came to take us on a short tour.

I fixed my skirt as I sat at Austin's side. We'd already discussed our game plan on the ride here. I was supposed to smile, shake hands, and be polite unless things started going down hill. Scott thought that they might find some interest in me since I stirred up so much trouble online, so he asked me to be nothing but truthful if I was asked anything. The most important part of our plan was the last resort. If the people in the meeting room who were in charge of signing artists didn't seem like they were sold on Austin I'd have to step up from being his best friend the author and show them how much there was to his talent, which meant I was going to have to sing. Not because they wanted me to be part of the act, but to show them that he can turn someone into a singer. I was hoping with everything I had that it didn't come down to that.

I never said anything, but I saw a pretty big flaw in Scott's plan. If I sang and that sold them on it, then they'd probably be sold on the idea of Austin and I being a duo, not Austin being a solo artist. I don't know if Austin realized that or not, but I don't think he did. I messed with my straightened hair as we sat there in silence. Austin was playing a game on his phone to pass time, and Scott was checking his emails. I was the only one who seemed like I was on edge.

My phone vibrated in my purse and I pulled it out, expecting a text from Kylie or Dillon, but I was wrong. It was a text from Alex. "Have you been on your video lately?"

I didn't know what he could possibly want to know that for. I showed it to Austin. He simply shrugged. "Text him back. You two don't have to hate each other."

I sighed and slid the keyboard out. "No. Why?"

A lady came around the corner and shook all of our hands. I slipped my phone back into my purse as she started us on the tour. She showed us all of the main places. The important people's offices, the most commonly used meeting room, and my favorite; the creativity room were all on the second and third floors of the building. There were some basic recording studios on the fourth floor and instrumental lessons, practice rooms, and coaches on the sixth. We were taken around to everything and brought back to the lobby on the first floor. "I'll go see if they're ready for you guys in the meeting room down the hall. I'll be right back," she said.

I sat back down and took out my phone. "There's new top comments," Alex had replied. "They're about us being together. They want details on our relationship..."

"Well what do YOU think we should tell them?" I sent back.

Austin looked over my shoulder. "Just be honest with the fans."

I looked up at him. "Then they'll think it was all fake, or that they were right and all that. Why should I give them the satisfaction?"

He sighed. "You shouldn't. That doesn't change that you aren't together anymore."

I must of looked hurt by what he said because he immediately apologized. "I'm sorry! I just meant that..."

I cut him off. "I know what you meant, but I'm going to leave it up to him. I'll go along with whatever he decides."

The lady came back before he could respond and escorted us to a meeting room she told us wasn't used that often. There were two guys inside. They both wore suits, but I could tell the larger man was the more important one. I assumed the other guy was his assistant. We shook hands with both of them.